TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by number 6 »

Here's a photo of the whole building which doubled as the Police Station in 'Get into Trouble'. If you enlarge the photo & look to the left down the side road, you'll see three dark arches in the background at the bottom of the road. These can just be seen in the scene where Richard is being chased up the road before he turns the corner to the Station! :D
Apologises for the poor quality of the photos, but it was murky this morning & I had to take them with my I-pad! Yes, I forgot my camera..again! :roll:

Last edited by number 6 on 14 Oct 2019, 19:45, edited 2 times in total.
Luke
Favourite book/series: Five go down to sea

Post by Luke »

Amazing, Number 6. Great find!
You surely deserved a good English breakfast in the Britannia B&B this morning :P
I wish you a great trip to all the other locations you still want to explore!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Number 6! Keep us posted about any more finds.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Onkel Quentin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five Barney Mystery Series

Post by Onkel Quentin »

You are right, Luke,
It is the Britannia Hotel. I didn't know, that this was the policestation. I know the building from searching a hotel.

Number 6, great photo, keep on running! :wink:
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Thanks O.Q., Luke & Anita. Here's a lovely photo of Blackwater house (Kirrin Cottage) I took this morning. The lady owner remembered who I was, which wasn't bad to say I've not visited the property for a number of years! She allowed me to wander around at will & for as long as I wanted. However, I didn't want to hang about too long for fear of out staying my welcome. The sale of the house has now been completed & the current owner moves out at the end of this week. Sad really. Some of today was also spent visiting St Leonards barn (Five on Finniston farm) & having a few hours at Bucklers hard. A beautiful hot & sunny day well spent! :D

Last edited by number 6 on 14 Oct 2019, 19:49, edited 3 times in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

This is Warren house (if I remember correctly!) which doubled as Finniston Farm. It is only seen briefly in the episode where the Five first meet the twins at the door! It's situated immediately on the left as you enter Warren lane..which eventually leads down to Blackwater house. St Leonards barn, which
features frequently in the episode, is round the corner from the house. :D

Last edited by number 6 on 14 Oct 2019, 19:53, edited 2 times in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Blackwater house from the side, showing how the old sparse driveway has been turned into a garden after the filming of the series took place there. A poor photo, but you get my drift! :D
PS:- I don't think Rodgers had anything to do with transforming the garden!! :wink:

Last edited by number 6 on 14 Oct 2019, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Number 6. It's great to see them!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Luke
Favourite book/series: Five go down to sea

Post by Luke »

Thanks for posting the pics, Number 6! Yes, the house with the red door is the one where the twins came out on "Finniston Farm". So you were close to Rolf Park Farm and the Sowley Pond. Have you been there as well?
I remember you wrote you plan on going to Castle Hill near Burley Street. (my avatar picture :) )
Enjoy the view up there!
Onkel Quentin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five Barney Mystery Series

Post by Onkel Quentin »

Great pictures, number 6. The weather is very good! I like your photos with the blue sky and the clouds.
The owner of "Finniston Farm House" is very friendly, I met him last year. He bought the house 3 years ago, and he knows the "Famous Five history" of his house.

Number 6, send us more photos from your trip, I am 1000 miles away from the NF, but it feels a little bit like being there on your side.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Brilliant pictures, number 6 - great to see you were remembered and allowed to wander at your will around Kirrin Cottage. Some cottage - more like a manor house!

I notice some of our correspondents in this thread have only posted on this thread - which begs the question, are you lovers of Enid's books, or only know her through the TV series. I imagine there must be many children who were introduced to Enid by way of the two television series, as well as other TV adaptations - Castle of Adventure, for example. I just wonder how many were tempted to search out her books.
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Moonraker wrote:I notice some of our correspondents in this thread have only posted on this thread - which begs the question, are you lovers of Enid's books, or only know her through the TV series. I imagine there must be many children who were introduced to Enid by way of the two television series, as well as other TV adaptations - Castle of Adventure, for example. I just wonder how many were tempted to search out her books.
That's a great question, Moonraker! Well, I can't speak for anyone else who posts on this thread, but I was introduced to the F5 books well before the 1978 TV series appeared. The books ignited my imagination & got me hooked. However, it was the series that put the icing on the cake & brought Enid's characters to life. So, I think I'd say it was a bit of both that inspired & fired my imagination.

I don't really post much on other threads, due to the fact I feel a bit out of my depth regarding certain Blyton works. Everyone seems quite knowledgable & I feel I can't add anything to the threads at all. I did read quite a lot of her books, but that was a very long time ago & I can only remember bits & bobs about the stories. However, I'am slowly getting round to re-reading the books & hope to post more on other threads. :D
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Luke wrote:Thanks for posting the pics, Number 6! Yes, the house with the red door is the one where the twins came out on "Finniston Farm". So you were close to Rolf Park Farm and the Sowley Pond. Have you been there as well?
I remember you wrote you plan on going to Castle Hill near Burley Street. (my avatar picture :) )
Enjoy the view up there!
I've not been to Rolfe Park farm or Sowley Pond for a number of years, but I hope to do so before the end of next week! I'm still not sure whether I've actually been to Castle hill without checking my notes...which I no longer have! However, I will soon know once I've visited it, which I'm hoping to do on Friday if the weather is fine. :D
Ive been to that many places in the NF that I tend to confuse one with the other, or totally forget I've been until I re-visit them! :roll:
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Onkel Quentin wrote:The owner of "Finniston Farm House" is very friendly, I met him last year. He bought the house 3 years ago, and he knows the "Famous Five history" of his house.
Thanks O.Q. Great to know you met the owner & he knew the house had been used in the Finniston farm episode! I think it's nice when you meet people like that. It's does make the visit a bit more pleasant. :D

Most of my photos are on my camera & I won't be able download them till I get home. All the photos I've posted recently were taken on my I-pad. Hence the poor quality. It's good as a back up just in case the camera runs low on battery, etc. :D
Last edited by number 6 on 30 Jul 2017, 22:10, edited 3 times in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

The entrance drive to Blackwater house. How it's changed, compared to how it looked in the series! Plus, another view of the house from the lovely lawned garden. :D

Last edited by number 6 on 14 Oct 2019, 20:05, edited 2 times in total.