The New Famous Five

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: The New Famous Five

Post by Lucky Star »

I read that as meaning that "The Film" is, in fact, the cartoons. I dont think there is any new movie in the pipeline.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Ah! :D

I thought I'd read it wrong! :roll:

lol
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

The first episode of this cartoon was shown on a channel here and I watched it.
I couldn’t make out what they were saying very well, and the whole thing did not impress me at all. But then they didn’t make it for my generation and maybe the children like it.
There’s no resemblance to the Famous Five so I think it should be called something else.
Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

I went into Waterstones bookshop today and saw that the new cartoon series is now out in book form too. Each (rather slim) volume contains two of the stories. They are printed in the form of a double book whereby at the end of the first story you turn the book upside down to read the second whose cover is on the back. If that makes sense. :?

They actually looked very nice and colourful and were set beside the original 21 books in their facsimile artwork covers. perhaps those who wish to buy the new ones will also pick up and consider the original books. I actually noticed that the store had a very full Blyton selection, two whole shelves filled with the Famous Five (old and new), Malory Towers, the Mystery series (most titles), St Clares, Naughtiest Girl and the Adventure series. This is more than they have had for quite a while now, has the new series inspired extra sales I wonder? Or is the shop just being hopeful? Does anyone know of a place where book sales can be monitored at all? I know Billboard magazine does a breakdown of CD sales frequently. Is there a book equivalent?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

yes I saw the same thing in my local bookshop at the weekend, and I'm telling you! I freaked! My friend had to drag me out of the shop before we got chcuked out!!!

My main problem with those new books, is that they HAVE ENID'S NAME ON THEM!!! SHE DIDN'T EVEN WRITE THEM!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :x :x :x

Sorry. Need to go and calm down. :oops:

Now where are my 90's DVD's??? :wink:
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Which is why I tend to stick to reading the books, Steph. Enid wrote books - not TV films, as with Agatha Christie's appaling adaptations, film and tv adapters have massive egos. They haven't the skills to write novels, so they mess up existing ones. I still watch new adaptations, ever the optimist, but I am usually disappointed.

Why is there the need to watch these stories on a screen when you have a perfectly good one in your head? At least your imagination sees the stories as Enid wrote them.
Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I was trying to make a joke about Marco, Nigel actually!

But I know what you mean. But I heven't got the time or the energy to sit down and read right now, after concentrating all day at school, coming home and reading for pleasure, on top of reading for homework! :?

I'll keep my trap shut next time! :oops:

Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I agree Nigel, it is always better to read the books, for sometimes, certain books cannot be adapted properly for the TV Screen. Yet on the other hand, it is nice to see the characters come to life on the TV screen. Such as Poirot and Miss Marple, even though they sometimes bear no resemblance to the book. If I'd written a book and it was adapted for the TV etc. I think I'd be delighted, even though it may have to be adapted somewhat differently from the book.

As for the New Famous Five. I'm afraid I don't watch it at all, nor will I be buying the books.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Well, I almost broke one of the books on Saturday! :oops:

So I won't be buying one either will I!

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Pippa-Stef wrote:I was trying to make a joke about Marco, Nigel actually! I'll keep my trap shut next time! :oops:
Bet you don't!
Sorry, I don't get you.....
Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Moonraker wrote:
Pippa-Stef wrote:I was trying to make a joke about Marco, Nigel actually! I'll keep my trap shut next time! :oops:
Bet you don't!
Sorry, I don't get you.....

Forget it.

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Sorry, but how can I forget something if I don't know what it is? It is confusing when someone says something (not necessarily you, Steph) and when you ask them to repeat it, they say "Forget it!" Do they mean, "Forget that I said anything?", "Forget than you didn't understand?" or what am I meant to forget?

It's like that other daft thing that people say if they don't agree with you or don't wish to answer - "Whatever!"

Just off to the Tardis to go back to the 50s!
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

If anyone wants to see what the new books look like, I put them into the Book Listing under continuation novels several weeks ago! :roll:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:If anyone wants to see what the new books look like, I put them into the Book Listing under continuation novels several weeks ago! :roll:
I bet you wonder why you bother..... :evil:

Maybe you could put an update at the top of the page when you add new books (as you do with new reviews, etc)? I always check what is updated when I see a new date appear. I must confess I only tend to look at the book listings when I want to research a title. I suppose I should look more often. :oops:
Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Sorry Tony. :oops: I look at the Book Listing regularly but the Continuation section is one part of it which I have never visited as I have zero interest generally in these titles. When I saw the new cartoon series in book form yesterday I thought I might have discovered something new to inform our members about.

Dont forget to take K-9 back to the fifties with you Moonraker. Just in case you need protection from any villains. :lol:

Society Member