The Mystery of Castle House

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
dsr

The Mystery of Castle House

Post by dsr »

Does anyone know anything about this made-for-TV film? It was made in 1982 in Australia, and the only link I have to Enid Blyton is the German title "Enid Blyton - Das Geheimnis um Castle House".

The plot synopsis on http://www.imbd.com is: "The siblings Kate and Ben and their friend Spider are fascinated by an old mansion called 'Castle House' on the far side of the river next to their village. The mansion has been uninhabited for 15 years, but when they explore the premises they notice a mysterious coming and going. When the old owner, the friendly Mrs. Markham suddenly appears - and as suddenly disappears again - things become even more mysterious. It almost seems as if someone is using the old mansion to hide their criminal activities - but who and what kind of activities? The three friends are determined to find out."

Does it sound familiar? The imdb site doesn't mention Enid Blyton at all, so it may well be nothing to do with her.
DSR
Julian
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Famous Five/St Clare's/Wishing Chair
Favourite character: Julian/Janet/Carlotta

Re: The Mystery of Castle House

Post by Julian »

I think it sounds quite similiar to The Secret of Cliff Castle. :roll:
  • ♥♣ Møh@mð Hä§åÑ♥♣
Thanks to Nigel for my avatar! :)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

It does'nt sound familiar to me, perhaps it is Blyton influenced but not actually written by her.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Post by manzanita »

I think it could actually be "The Secret of Moon Castle". I distinctly remember seeing an Australian made "Secret of Moon Castle" on channel 5 some years back, 2000 maybe? I know they changed names a lot and "Mrs Markham" rings a bell. The only thing is, I don't think what I saw was made in 1982, but I could be wrong of course...

Manzy
blytonseeker

Post by blytonseeker »

The film is called Mystery at Castle House which involves five youngsters. It stars Simone Buchanan who stared in several Australian adventure stories. She was in Run Rebecca Run and Platypus Cove. They do come up from tiume to time but they are in the American Format and not VHS PAL. I remembered watching these when I was a kid and I managed to find a copy of each.
Mystery at castle House reads on the back:
Three curious kids are in for the most intriguing and dangerous adventure of their lives!
The mysterious Castle has been locked up for 15 years when three adventurous youngsters Spider, Kate and Ben, decide to do some exploring. Inside the deserted old mansion, the discovery of a secret tunnel and the disappearence of two other boys, put spider and his friends into a realm of intrigue and danger as they try to discover the secrets that lurk in the castle.
Spider and his buddies take off on a high speed chase through the countryside and travel deep into the castle's deep labyrinths in search of clues that will help them solve the mystery at Castle house.

Another film to watch out for is "The Kids who knew too much." This is an out of print Disney title but I thought this film was quite good.

This isn't a Blyton Film, sorry

Hope this helps, from Jackie
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

So not a Blyton film?
Looks atmospheric on youtube though.

Mystery at Castle House (1982) (Ray Meagher)
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I watched it years ago when SuperRTL was featuring many Blyton series and films like Famous Five 70s or Adventure series, but I never found out the Blyton book it was based on. I wasn't on the Internet then and I had no idea how many books Enid Blyton had written. I think it's possible that Enid Blyton was used to try to get some attention for this film.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.