1970s FF Series Incidental Music.

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
daanton
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE
Favourite character: All the Five, but especially Anne.

Re: 1970s series incidental music.

Post by daanton »

Morgan Jones wrote:It may have been mentioned above but a lot of the music used on the Famous Five was also used in Australian productions of the 70s and 80s. There are a few channels on YouTube dedicated to these tracks, some good examples are:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonsAndDaughtersFan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/user/RatHouse2007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have to thank everyone in here for the tracks they've IDd and uploaded; hopefully the channels linked to may plug some gaps!
Dunno about the first user, but the second user has returned! Image [link]
Famous Five TV Fan
daanton

Post by daanton »

I dunno if it was ever mentioned before in this thread, but....

I'm searching for a piece of incidental music that I've heard twice (each in a separate episode) during FAMOUS FIVE's 2nd Series/Season. Therein I heard it during "Five Run Away Together" (inside the walls of Kirrin Castle) and "Five Fall Into Adventure" (during when Kirrin Cottage suddenly had no electricity or phone connection).

But I've also heard this piece of music on other shows: on 3-2-1-CONTACT (1980) during a recite on the longevity of the sun and other stars, narrated by Lisa (played by Liz Moses); and during a movie promo skit ("The New Pet") on SCTV.

Part of it went something like: dah-de-da-da-doh-dooooo----ba-di-dahhhhh!-ba-di-dahhhhh!.....

Any ideas?
Famous Five TV Fan
retronic

Post by retronic »

Can you cite an eisode and the time it appears in that episode?
daanton

Post by daanton »

I thought I did. Better be more precise:

In "Five Fall Into Adventure", after the police had been notified about the burglary.... Rogers just locked the front door, Julian and Dick checked all the windows, then things start happening (and the music too--a brief moment) when Timmy collapses, knocking over a lamp, because, as they would discover, he had been drugged after Jo had somehow given him something when earlier on the beach.

The music starts up again (again for a brief while) after they had lit some candles and Rogers receives and reads the note left on the front porch.

Need any more hints?
Famous Five TV Fan
retronic

Post by retronic »

Birdclusters is heard as Timmy collapses and later as the note is read. In between is Anxiety and Fragments of Tension.
daanton

Post by daanton »

Got it. 8) Thank you very much.

I've also Googled most of the other tunes mentioned here, as well as on your forum, Retronic. Found out that a good number of them have been deemed as "Music from PRISONER: CELL BLOCK H"....!

Found a site where you can find more of these titles under MP3 format: [link]. In most cases, just search for them under the performer's name. If any of their tunes are from any Brutin Music Library albums, you'll know them by the "BR" in their catalogue number. At least I have found so.
Famous Five TV Fan
retronic

Post by retronic »

I have most of the Prisoner CBH tracks which is how I was able to recognise the F5 ones- I'd never watched it until recently. Luckily over the years I've gotten most of the old Bruton LPs.
daanton

Post by daanton »

Say, retronic, which TV series would you say used more of the same incidental music heard on FAMOUS FIVE..... THE SWEENEY or PRISONER:CBH? Or another?
Famous Five TV Fan
retronic

Post by retronic »

Prisoner. The Sweeney used some in the later series' but not as much as CBH I'd say.
daanton

Post by daanton »

Did anyone on this topic/thread yet make any mention as to what is/was the "mystery synthesizer sound" incidental music.... heard in "Five On A Hike Together" (Williams traipsing through the rain to the barn where the Five were spending the night) but in "Five Go To Mystery Moor" (episode start and off/on elsewhere, especially during that plane's one cargo drop)??
Famous Five TV Fan
petejt
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five

Post by petejt »

daanton wrote:Did anyone on this topic/thread yet make any mention as to what is/was the "mystery synthesizer sound" incidental music.... heard in "Five On A Hike Together" (Williams traipsing through the rain to the barn where the Five were spending the night) but in "Five Go To Mystery Moor" (episode start and off/on elsewhere, especially during that plane's one cargo drop)??
I will try to find out. I shall watch it later today and reply.

I don't know what it is with me. I'm thinking about 'Famous Five' and reading the novels and watching the shows all the time. But I seem to only post on this forum every couple of years!

While a lot of the incidental music has been identified and sourced, there are still quite a few pieces that remain elusive.
petejt

Post by petejt »

I don't know the name of the tune. But it definitely sounds like from the Bruton Music scene.

Here's a YouTube clip of the opening scene of 'Mystery Moor'. I have to say that the little comedy skit between George and William is absolutely hilarious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUP2Hd__RJ8
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Just watched that. First time I've seen anything of MM in years. Gawd, we were all sooooo young!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Indeed! I was only in my 20s! You might like to look at the Caption Competition thread, Gary - you featured in that, recently!
Society Member
petejt

Post by petejt »

I apologise, it seems what a couple of years maybe later, that my quest to list all occurrences of the incidental music in the 1978-1979 television series of the Famous Five has not progressed. Yet I still listen to these tunes almost every day, or at least every week.