Famous Five 90s Series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Famous Five 90s Series

Post by Chrissie777 »

sixret wrote:You can only upload a longer video if you are a paid member. Free member can only upload up to 20 minutes per video.
That must be a new regulation, sixret :( .
My husband uploaded several Jeff & Lassie episodes for me from Youtube about a year ago and a movie (at least 85 minutes long) about 2 months ago. For free.
We never were paid Youtube members...I didn't even know there is such a thing.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Fiona's right, it's getting the DVD on the computer to start with that's the issue, however I am not an expert on YouTube so wouldn't know how to break it up into instalments if I could upload it.

But I have been playing around with the DVD recorder again as I wasn't happy with the two parts that were freezing, and I have managed to record a better copy. The start is still a bit flicker-y ( I think it's down to the tape as nothing shifts it) but it now plays perfectly right through without seizing up :P. If anyone more youtube savvy than me wants a copy to try and upload just ask, I'll be happy for someone to take over where I have failed :lol: .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

I enjoyed watching both parts of Five Go to Smuggler's Top (kindly sent to me, by IceMaiden), this afternoon, two of the best episodes (of the 1990's Famous Five TV series), which I have seen, was good to see Don Henderson (Block), Richard Morant (Mr Lenoir) and Jeremy Sinden (Barling), three Actors, who are sadly no longer with us.
Society Member
IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

I am glad you got them so quickly and that you enjoyed them :) . I agree fully with you that they are one of the best of all the 90's episodes which makes it even more of a shame that their not available. Personally I wouldn't have left any off a box set but if I absolutely had to, it wouldn't be those two. I feel that they got the casting spot on with this episode, the atmosphere and building of Smuggler's Top is wonderful and being in two parts it doesn't feel rushed. I didn't know the actor's who play Block, Mr Barling and Mr Lenoir were no longer around either, they didn't look that old in the show, especially Mr Lenoir :( .
Society Member

Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Jeremy Sinden (son of Donald), died in 1996, less than a year after the two episodes were shown, Don Henderson (who I will always remember from the TV series Bulman), died in 1997, Richard Morant, died five years ago.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0801788/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0376405/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0603082/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will hopefully see another episode (or two), of the 1990's Famous Five TV series, today.
Society Member
Deej92
Favourite book/series: Five Get into Trouble (Famous Five)
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej92 »

I've had the chance to watch the 90s series version of Five Go to Smuggler's Top. It certainly didn't disappoint, one of the best episodes in the series for me. Cheers for sending it to me Fiona!
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Been a while since I have watched any episodes of the 1990's Famous Five TV series, but I returned to the series, this afternoon, and enjoyed watching the episode Five Have Plenty of Fun, will be watching some more episodes, tomorrow.
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

I think I'm about a quarter of the way into the 90's series & im surprised how much I like it. I had doubts before, but now I wish I'd watched them when they were first shown on TV! Oh well, better late than never! :D
Deej92
Favourite book/series: Five Get into Trouble (Famous Five)
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej92 »

Glad you're enjoying the 90s series, number 6. I've always thought it the better of the two TV series but I guess that is subjective :)
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

You can join in with our discussion of the episodes now! :D
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Fascinating to find out that author Helen Cresswell, who was born just a stones throw from me in Kirkby-in-Ashfield, & who wrote & adapted Lizzy Dripping for TV some years ago, also had an hand in adapting the 90's F5 Series from book to screen as well. :shock: I know a lot about her work, but I never knew she had a Blyton connection! Small World, isn't it?! :D :D
db105

Post by db105 »

For those who have the DVDs without Smuggler's Top... I have found those two episodes online. They are DVDrips with English audio, 233Mb each, and can be downloaded from a file hosting site. Would it be OK to post the links here, or would that be against the forum rules?

Edit: I have been told by the moderators that after discussing it they'd prefer not to have links to file hosting sites here. I certainly understand and respect that decision. In fact I think that when you are a fan of something it's good to support it, and the only reason I mentioned it is because these two particular episodes are hard to find, not being included in the DVD pack of the series.
----------------------------------
“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
― Stephen King, The Body
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

I watched Five on a Hike Together last night which I found both wonderful and frustrating at the same time.

Quite why the writers and/or directors would spend so much time with little details such as getting the name of the B&B that the five stay at correct (Blue Pond Farm) and then change such major details like the name of the house - Two Trees becoming Hangmans Hole and Gloomy Water becoming Dark Water is very puzzling.

Add to that changes to the clues on the map the escaped convict leaves Dick and the Saucy Jane being at the edge of the lake rather than at the bottom of it but I suspect that was to make production easier.
Society Member
IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

Hike is the most disappointing of the 90's series in my opinion. By having the boat at the edge of the lake instead of sunk under the water, they removed the most exciting and imaginative part of the entire story of finding all the location marks and realising the boat was directly beneath the raft :x . It also felt incredibly rushed, all the single episodes did to an extent, but Hike in particular seems more rushed than any. A shame really as the book is one of the best and the episode just doesn't live up to it :( .
Last edited by IceMaiden on 27 Dec 2017, 01:12, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member

number 6

Post by number 6 »

I watched this particular episode for the first time several months ago. I've got to agree with you on this one, IceMaiden. Having the boat on the edge of the lake instead of sunken in the middle, really does take away the most exciting part of the story. The reason for this was probably down to tighter health & safety regulations, which were almost non-existent in the 70's version, & the children were not allowed to take any risk whatsoever. :|