Where is "Kirrin Cottage"?

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Melinda

Post by Melinda »

Cor thanks Pinkmoon

I spent 4 holidays searching for Kirrin cottage over the years and only recently been pondering as to where it is, and now we know, this is great as I was thinking of having hols in forest this year and having another look, now I know, isn't it amazing this find, didn't know so many fans were also trying to find it, so this is excellent, thanks for taking the photos for us. I honestly believed I'd go to my grave not knowing!
Its amazing what occurs when you least expect it.

Would be easy enough to find out who own the place, am sure they are totall oblivious to their home being used 30 years ago and still having credence today.
So the mystery is solved.

I'd like to know who owns if anyone the watch house at Lepe cos I fell in love with that place years ago and every time I visit the area it seems empty.
Does anyone know? or is it used as a summer holiday place rather than lived in all year?

This is fantastic!

Melinda (Jo the Gypsy)
The famous five will be part of my life forever!!!!!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

A fantastic piece of detective work, pinkmoon; where would we be without the moon!

Thanks also to Keith (?) or whoever, for re-sizing the pictures!
Society Member
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Re: Where is "Kirrin Cottage"?

Post by Timmy254 »

This picture of Blackwater House was taken last summer.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... 8102969354" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The guy who took the photo wrote: “That’s how Kirrin Cottage looks today. I was there this summer – a great experience!”

I don’t want to know how he got that close... :roll:
Last edited by Timmy254 on 29 Jan 2010, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks for posting the picture, Timmy 254. How lovely to see the cottage again.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Thanks for posting the picture, Timmy 254. How lovely to see the cottage again.

8)
Where is the cottage actually situated?
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Timmy254

Re:

Post by Timmy254 »

You're welcome, Julie! Although the owner has remodeled a few things, it still is a beautiful house. :)
Wayne Pyer wrote:Where is the cottage actually situated?
Here is a description :wink:
"I am confident that the building in those screenshots is Black Water
House. It is next to Warren Farm on Warren Lane, a private (gravel) lane
on the Beaulieu Estate that leads from St Leonards to Needs Ore Point.
The grid reference is SZ413973 and you can view a fairly detailed aerial
photograph at the following link:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=50.77375" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... =0&src=msl "
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
John K

Post by John K »

I found this website by accident while looking up Blackwater House. My name is John Keeble, I live in the Blue Mountains which is west of Sydney Australia. My uncle Bert Keeble used to own Blackwater House, he bought it in 1957 and lived there with his wife and 2 sons and his father in law until 1970 when he sold up and moved to West Farleigh, a farm near Tiverton in Devon. His two sons Roger and Peter still live there with their families, Uncle Bert died on 3rd February this year which is what prompted me to look up a bit about the family history. He bought Blackwater House because he was a sea Captain and it was close to Fawley where he used to load. We had a family Christmas there once in the early 60’s when I was a teenager and I remember going out to the beach with a tractor and trailer to pick up driftwood for the huge fireplaces in that house. I remember the huge grand staircase in the main hall and the smaller one at the other end in the servants’ area where Bert’s father in law lived. I didn’t know the house had been used for the Famous Five until some time in the 1980’s when my Aunt who had visited her brother in England told me and since then I have been trying to find the whole series but only have a few video tapes so far. Another bit of useless information about the area back then is that Lord Montague was just starting his car museum then and you had to pass his place to get to Blackwater House, likewise he had to come past us to get to his beach house and he quite often had Diana Dors and other celebrities with him.
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

John K wrote:I found this website by accident while looking up Blackwater House. My name is John Keeble, I live in the Blue Mountains which is west of Sydney Australia. My uncle Bert Keeble used to own Blackwater House, he bought it in 1957 and lived there with his wife and 2 sons and his father in law until 1970 when he sold up and moved to West Farleigh, a farm near Tiverton in Devon. His two sons Roger and Peter still live there with their families, Uncle Bert died on 3rd February this year which is what prompted me to look up a bit about the family history. He bought Blackwater House because he was a sea Captain and it was close to Fawley where he used to load. We had a family Christmas there once in the early 60’s when I was a teenager and I remember going out to the beach with a tractor and trailer to pick up driftwood for the huge fireplaces in that house. I remember the huge grand staircase in the main hall and the smaller one at the other end in the servants’ area where Bert’s father in law lived. I didn’t know the house had been used for the Famous Five until some time in the 1980’s when my Aunt who had visited her brother in England told me and since then I have been trying to find the whole series but only have a few video tapes so far. Another bit of useless information about the area back then is that Lord Montague was just starting his car museum then and you had to pass his place to get to Blackwater House, likewise he had to come past us to get to his beach house and he quite often had Diana Dors and other celebrities with him.
Welcome John K. Very interesting. Do you have any photos? :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Timmy254

Post by Timmy254 »

Welcome to the forums, John and thanks for telling us something about Blackwater House! :D
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Welcome to the forums, John K. :)
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Kiki's new mam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/Malory Towers

Post by Kiki's new mam »

welcome to the fourms john, you acually lived in blackwater house! :shock: :D

what was it like?

Leila.
John K

Post by John K »

Regarding photographs, I have inherited my late mothers' colour slides from the 50's and 60's and I am busy scanning them on to the computer. I have found a couple so far that were taken at Blackwater House. When I find some more I will make them available here. Regarding living at Blackwater house, I was only about 14 at the time (around 1960) and the strongest memory from then is all the local farmers getting together to shoot rabbits! I have a strong memory of being used to carry all the dead ones home over my shoulder and my mother complaining of the blood all over my coat. I am in to animal rights now so this is not a fond memory!
John Keeble.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

John K wrote:I have inherited my late mothers' colour slides from the 50's and 60's and I am busy scanning them on to the computer. I have found a couple so far that were taken at Blackwater House. When I find some more I will make them available here.
That's great, John. Thanks - it would be lovely to see them.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Timmy254

Post by Timmy254 »

Thanks John, I'm really looking forward to seeing those photos! :D
oc435

Post by oc435 »

I know this reply is a bit late, but I have only just found this thread!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Blackwater House was only ever used for external shots - none of the inside scenes were filmed there. My grandparents bought the house in 1970 and lived there until about 1992 when they sold it to the current owner, a naval architect who builds some fantastic yachts.

I spent many, many holidays there over the years, except sadly when they were filming. My brother was there though and he managed to earn the princely sum of five pounds for being an extra - both he and my grandmother were passengers on a bus in one of the episodes.