Famous Five '78 series Memorabilia - UPDATED 130507 Page 3

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: Famous Five '78 series Memorabilia - UPDATED 130507 Page

Post by number 6 »

Gary Russell wrote:Frustratingly I now can't make May 13 (I'm working in America that weekend, as y'do). If it changes to another date (other than 6/7 when I'm also away), let me know cos I'd love to be there G
No worries, Gary. If anyone wants to change the meet-up at Exbury, which would allow you a chance to make a new re-arranged date, then I'm game! I'll actually be in Dorset between Sun 23rd July & Fri 4th August next year, & I'll definitely be heading down to Exbury sometime between the above dates anyway! However, I'm still open to other alternative dates as well. :D

Also, if some members rely on public transport, then getting to Exbury in May will be very difficult, unless you opt for a taxi (£25-30 each way!). The New Forest bus tour, which goes to Exbury gardens, is seasonal & commences service at the end of June to mid-Sept. The tour bus stops off at Brockenhurst Railway station before heading to Exbury. There is no other public service to Exbury out of season. :|
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

number 6 wrote:
Jack400 wrote:Yes thanks, Number 6. Is the drawing by Jennifer or was there an 'official' pub postcard?
It's a drawing of the "Three Horseshoes" pub in Laleham. Jennifer's Parents had them especially made during their time running the pub! Her Father gave me three blank ones & Jennifer signed the one I posted, along with a little personal message, which was nice of her! I'll post a photo of the drawing if you're interested. :D
Number 6, I would be interested in seeing a drawing of the Pub, nice to see Jennifer's (my favourite cast member, from the late 1970's Famous Five TV series) handwriting.

On the subject of Pubs, today, I received a copy of the following Book - http://www.halsgrove.com/proddetail.php ... 0857101068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://dartmoortrust.org/legendary-pubs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

I'll post a photo of the drawing on the postcard as soon as I can, Billy. I put the one with Jennifer's writing on back in the attic! I knew I should've kept it downstairs! :roll:
Thanks for the link. Love books like this one, especially when there's a pub involved as well. :wink:
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Backward slanting writing! Very bad! lol! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:
Gary Russell wrote:Frustratingly I now can't make May 13 (I'm working in America that weekend, as y'do). If it changes to another date (other than 6/7 when I'm also away), let me know cos I'd love to be there

G
I'm quite happy to change the date to when Gary can make it, if this helps. I think 13th May was suggested as it would have been around the time of when the Enid Blyton Days were arranged. :)
As I said on the previous page, I don't mind a change of date at all. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Rob Houghton wrote:Backward slanting writing! Very bad! lol! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Backwatd slanting writing of someone who is Left handed, or I assume so! :D
number 6

Post by number 6 »

How did I miss your previous post, Julie?! :roll: That's good if your're happy to be flexible regarding a change of date for the meet up! :D
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

number 6 wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:Backward slanting writing! Very bad! lol! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Backwatd slanting writing of someone who is Left handed, or I assume so! :D
I wondered, but I don't know if she is left handed or not...maybe you do. I just remember being told at school that it was bad to slant writing backwards...it was discouraged...and in a way I can see why, as it never looks right somehow, lol! ;-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Yes, I can see where you're coming from, Rob. I was also told by my teacher not to write in this particular way, but I did & still do! I slant the other way to Jennifer. I'm right handed & developed my style of writing very early on & was forever being berated by my peers. :|

I didn't actually see Jennifer write on the postcard, or on any other item. I just assumed that she was left handed by the way she had written the message. However, she could be right handed, but just write in a peculiar way! Gary Russell would know due to the fact he spent a lot of time in her company. I know it's not important, but I'm always curious about little things like this! :D
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

number 6 wrote: Gary Russell would know due to the fact he spent a lot of time in her company. I know it's not important, but I'm always curious about little things like this! :D
Oddly enough I was with Jennifer a few days ago but I honestly can't recall if she's left or right handed.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Thanks, Gary. It's not important. Just a bit of light hearted fun. How is Jennifer these days? I hope she is keeping well. I met her briefly on a few occasions, but that was many moons ago. She was still living with her parents in Laleham back then, before flying the nest for good a year later. :D

What kind of work will you be doing in America next year? Is it anything exciting? :D
It'll be great to see you at Exbury when you've got the opportunity. There's lot of questions we'd all like to ask you from F5 to Dr Who, etc. :D
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Here you go, Billy. A photo of the Black ink lined drawing of the Three Horseshoes pub in Laleham, which is on the front of the postcard. Today, the pub still looks the same from the outside, but the inside is unrecognisable to when I used to visit! More for diners than drinkers. I prefer it as it once was. :D

number 6

Post by number 6 »

This just turned up whilst sorting out my photos from yesteryear! One of the original photos I took of the Three Horseshoes pub. This was early 1983. Think Jennifer had left the family home by then. Not sure. :D

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

number 6 wrote:Yes, I can see where you're coming from, Rob. I was also told by my teacher not to write in this particular way, but I did & still do! I slant the other way to Jennifer. I'm right handed & developed my style of writing very early on & was forever being berated by my peers. :|
Oh - I slant to the right, that's just normal, lol! ;-) Actually, Jennifer has very nice hand-writing - just a bit of fun as you mentioned earlier.

Being left-handed used to also be discouraged as much as possible when I was a child, which I find strange, if its natural to the person involved. I'm always interested in why some people are left handed and some right. My aunt could write with both hands. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

number 6 wrote:Thanks, Gary. It's not important. Just a bit of light hearted fun. How is Jennifer these days? I hope she is keeping well. I met her briefly on a few occasions, but that was many moons ago. She was still living with her parents in Laleham back then, before flying the nest for good a year later. :D

What kind of work will you be doing in America next year? Is it anything exciting? :D
It'll be great to see you at Exbury when you've got the opportunity. There's lot of questions we'd all like to ask you from F5 to Dr Who, etc. :D
I'd forgotten I'm guesting at a DW convention in mid-May next year, so that's the work. Jennifer is fine, she and her hubby are living and teaching down in Sussex still and both her boys are now living in London so she travels up a bit more than before. She never changes. Marcus and I reckon she has a portrait in her attic...

I was also talking to Sue Best the other day - her daughter owns a popular restaurant in Sydney I'm going to visit next month - and she sends her regards to all FF fans too.