TV epsiodes and films/movies of Enid Blyton's works

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Mac99
Favourite book/series: 5 Findouters
Favourite character: Fatty

TV epsiodes and films/movies of Enid Blyton's works

Post by Mac99 »

looking for information of any tv episode, series or movie made of enid blyton books with the exception of noddy and wishing chair. the ones i know of are:

famous five - 1970's
famous five - 1990's
castle of adventure - 1990

i am not interested in the australian/new zealand ones (sorry but in my opinion these were awful and didnt do justice to the writer)

believe there were some in 50's and 60's

thanks

mac
Kirrin

tv

Post by Kirrin »

what exactley would you like to know?
I know a lot about the f5 tv 1996 series!
Mac99

Post by Mac99 »

the series i mentioned above are the ones i know about. the one you mentioned i bought just recently on dvd (spain). what i am after is if anyone knows of other tv programs or series based on enid blyton books but not mentioned in my original post.

mac
Tony Summerfield

TV and Films

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Hi Mac,
Other than the ones you mention there haven't been any Blyton TV series - more's the pity! I'm sure you know about the few films that there have been, but just to repeat:-
Five on a Treasure Island in 1957
Five Have a Mystery to Solve in 1964
The Island of Adventure in 1982

and two Danish Fives films
Five Go Adventuring Again and Five Get Into Trouble
Five Get Into Trouble was released as a dubbed video in the USA, but for some reason it was never released in this country.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes
Tony
Mac99

thanks tony

Post by Mac99 »

hi tony,

the famous five of the 50's and the 60's were the ones i wanted to know about. had come across them somewhere else but really no info. knowing the years really helps.

thanks

mac
Last edited by Mac99 on 03 Apr 2005, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
Kirrin

tv

Post by Kirrin »

what about the enchanted lands cartoon series?
Mac99

re: cartoon series

Post by Mac99 »

for some strange reason whilst i think i am a massive blyton fan, i have never been able to get into the 'younger books' such as enchanted wood, wishing chair, noddy, etc.

your reply highlights that i should have made my post clearer and said famous five, find outers, mystery and adventure series.

good thinking though batman !

the reason for asking the question was to get as many as i could and compare and i wanted to see which of the productions best created the 'flavour' of the books. to date i have managed to get the entire famous five series from 90's on dvd which i have recently watched and have just ordered a dvd of 1957 five on a treasure island mentioned by tony.

just in case anyone can help, did they ever release the 60's version of five have a mystery to solve.

also if the 1982 island of adventure and the 1990 castle of adventure was ever released on dvd? and if so were it can be bought?

mac
Last edited by Mac99 on 03 Apr 2005, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
Raci

Post by Raci »

what about the enchanted lands cartoon series?

I bought the 'magic of the faraway tree' enchanted lands DVD for my daughter and was extremely disapointed!

The childrens names had been altered and so had the storylines.

The stories it includes are:

The Land of Toys
The Land of Take-what-you-want
The Land of Dame Tickle
The Land of Ice and Snow
The Land of Dreams
The Land of Spells
and The Land of Marvels
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I was really a little disappointed with the 1957 film "Five on a Treasure Island". I thought that "messing around" with books was a new thing, but obviously not. The "buffoon" type antique dealer, a substandard Timmy (!), the REALLY annoying habit of changing characters' names - where did Aunt Margaret come from; and why change Alf the fisher-boy's name? Like Agatha Christie's great disappointment with stage and film adaptations, I would imagine that Enid was equally enraged at the "messing around" with her characters and stories.

I was born in 1950, and I can honestly say that Fanny was just a lady's name to me. Ok, maybe it's a bit different now, but not in1957. For goodness sake, that's more or less the period that the books were set in!
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Videos and DVD

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Both of the Adventure Films Island and Castle are on video, but I don't think either of them is on DVD Mac - but if it comes to that I didn't know that Treasure Island was on DVD - I thought it was only on video. Where did you find it Mac?

Best wishes
Tony
Mac99

Post by Mac99 »

moonraker wrote:I was really a little disappointed with the 1957 film "Five on a Treasure Island". I thought that "messing around" with books was a new thing, but obviously not. The "buffoon" type antique dealer, a substandard Timmy (!), the REALLY annoying habit of changing characters' names - where did Aunt Margaret come from; and why change Alf the fisher-boy's name? Like Agatha Christie's great disappointment with stage and film adaptations, I would imagine that Enid was equally enraged at the "messing around" with her characters and stories.

I was born in 1950, and I can honestly say that Fanny was just a lady's name to me. Ok, maybe it's a bit different now, but not in1957. For goodness sake, that's more or less the period that the books were set in!

maybe political correctness is not a new thing but goes back a little !

the substandard timmy i am afraid to say is in my opinion something they didnt get right in the 90's series either. timmy was a chubby and very tame mutt compared to the loving and quite often protective of his mistress dog of the books.

mac
Mac99

Re: Videos and DVD

Post by Mac99 »

[quote="Tony Summerfield"]Both of the Adventure Films Island and Castle are on video, but I don't think either of them is on DVD Mac - but if it comes to that I didn't know that Treasure Island was on DVD - I thought it was only on video. Where did you find it Mac?

not being rude but already covered by email.

mac

Post by Guest »

can any body tell me where i can but the videos
of the island of adventure 1982
and the castle of adventure ?
when i was young i watched the island of adventure about a 100 times
when i recorded it off tv on a betamax video
need i say more!!!!
i have tried all the usal sources but no luck

help

Post by Guest »

the above should read buy

sorry my spelling not up to much!!!!!
Mac99

buying the adventure series

Post by Mac99 »

i never saw the island of adventure but managed to see some of the castle of adventure but not all of it. i had a look for these but believe that these are out of production at the moment.

havent come across anything on the net for either of these except for the information above. maybe they might re-release on dvd at some point, which is what i am hoping.

mac
Last edited by Mac99 on 26 Apr 2005, 16:13, edited 2 times in total.