TV epsiodes and films/movies of Enid Blyton's works

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Mac99
Favourite book/series: 5 Findouters
Favourite character: Fatty

buy the island of adventure vhs

Post by Mac99 »

came across this on the net. it is in the states but hope it helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WD1V

mac
Moonraker

Island of Adventure

Post by Moonraker »

Not a bad version, but Norman Bowler was IMO a dreadful Bill Smugs
Society Member
Mac99

name changes & right actors for the right part

Post by Mac99 »

quite agree with moonraker when he says he doesnt see the need for changes to names aunt fanny to aunt margaret for example. i havent had the pleasure of seeing the island of adventure but one actor used in the castle appears to be right for the part namely brian blessed for the villain with his great big beard.

i would love to see the whole of the castle of adventure and to see the island of adventure for the first time.

if anyone does come either of these for sale would be grateful for a pm.

mac
Tony Summerfield

Island of Adventure

Post by Tony Summerfield »

You mention Bill as not being great Nigel, but how about Philip and Jack!! Philip was nearly bald - I've nothing against baldness, most becoming on Bill and indeed on you Nigel - but not on a 14 year old (going on 20!). Jack had such thick lenses on his specs it looked as if he must be almost blind - indeed I've nothing against specs, I would be lost without mine - but is not quite how I pictured Jack.

I thought the Mountain was much better and I am looking forward to Ted Francis on the subject next week - he is also showing a video of out takes which should be amusing.

Best wishes
Tony
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I absolutely agree, Tony. The casting was really rather poor.

"Castle" was spoilt for me with all the spoilers at the beginning; making it obvious where it was going. Why can't, just for once, a tv/film adaptation be true to the book.

Sam er Sam was pretty pathetic. Scar-neck didn't materialise till the end of the book. What a stupid idea to have him selling eggs out of his hat!
What was all that rubbish about a pirate radio station?

It's not only a new thing to "mess" with Blyton. Look at the CFF version of "Five on a Treasure Island". Kirrin HOUSE, Aunt MARGARET, JAMES instead of Alf, the fisher-boy......need I go on?

Oh, I must get off my soap box! :P
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Castle of Adventure film - 1990

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I only recently watched the 1990 Castle of Adventure for the first time and, once I'd got over Lucy-Ann looking too young and Philip and Dinah having fair hair, I found myself warming to the four main child characters. Although they weren't really as I'd imagined, they all seemed very natural in the parts. I loved the castle too. It was set amid rolling hills rather than on a craggy mountain, but it had a suitable air of gloom and grandeur about it. And the scenes with the eagle were great.

Like Moonraker, I didn't see the need for the "Sam" character. However, it was Tassie that really spoilt it for me. She wasn't at all the sprite-like creature described by Enid Blyton!

I liked Bill, but surely he could have been persuaded to shave off a little of his hair for the part :) .

Anita
gareth jones
Favourite book/series: ADVENTURE SERIES
Favourite character: JACK TRENT

movies of enid's books.

Post by gareth jones »

When has a film or tv series ever been better or even as good as any book let alone Enid's. When we read the books we all have our own vision of the characters and locations. I agree with you all if they can't make the films as near to the books as possible then they should leave well alone.
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
Kirrin

hi

Post by Kirrin »

I agree with you heartily!
Mac99

five have a mystery to solve

Post by Mac99 »

was the 1964 version of five have a mystery to solve a cinema serial, tv serial and was it ever released on vhs?

mac
booklover
Favourite book/series: Whyteleafe, Faraway Tree, "Barney" books
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen, Fatty, Barney and Snubby

Post by booklover »

From this thread it seems that only the Famous Five and some of the "Adventure" series have been filmed or put on TV.

I find this quite surprising because I think some of the Barney Mysteries, the Naughtiest Girl series or Mr Galliano's Circus would be great on TV.

In the Barney Mysteries, I was thinking of Rockingdown, Ring O'Bells and Rubadub in particular. (Rilloby Fair is a great story but it would be more problematic - for instance, it could be quite difficult to train an animal to perform all the stunts that appear in the book!) Rubadub is a real who-dunnit in the vein of Agatha Christie that would be great on TV.

The Naughtiest Girl series seems to me to be ready-made for TV. Whyteleafe is very progressive (even by today's standards) with its mini-Parliament governed by the children themselves; and Elizabeth would be a very appealing lead character. The other characters are also very interesting, in particular, Joan in the first book, Robert in the second book and Julian and the abominable Arabella in the third book. In addition, as Whyteleafe is co-ed, the stories can be targeted at all children, unlike Malory Towers and St.Clares which have the disadvantage of having been aimed at girls only.

Mr Galliano's Circus would also appeal as wholesome entertainment for the whole family.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Five have a mystey to solve

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I've never watched Five have a mystery to solve, but would be interested to hear what other people think of it.

This, of all the Famous Five books, is so firmly set in Dorset, so why did they decide TO FILM IT IN CORNWALL ???? :evil:

Yours grumpily

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moonraker

Re: Five have a mystey to solve

Post by Moonraker »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:I've never watched Five have a mystery to solve, but would be interested to hear what other people think of it.

This, of all the Famous Five books, is so firmly set in Dorset, so why did they decide TO FILM IT IN CORNWALL ???? :evil:

Yours grumpily

Viv
What about the "Adventure" series set in NEW ZEALAND!!!!!!!!!

:roll:
Society Member
Eljay

Post by Eljay »

Does anyone know if Norman Wright is still selling copies of his privately released 'Five on a Treasure Island' video (the 1957 Children's Film Foundation version)? Or did he finally manage to sell them all?
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Five on a Treasure Island film

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Great excitement for me in the shop today - a lady came in who was aged 15 at the time the film was made in 1957 and had become good friends with the girl who played George. More to the point, she thinks that someone in her family may have 8mm cine film of the feature film being made. The main film was in B&W of course - but this cine film could be in colour!!!

I hope they are turfing out their attics as we speak :D

I would LOVE to be able to get that film on DVD to sell in the shop. I wonder who I should speak to.

Best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

tv episodes and movies of enid blyton works

Post by Viking Star »

Norman has sold all copies of the 1957 Famous Five serial - I emailed him asking last week.
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.