Short Story with a long magic word!

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Khechog

Short Story with a long magic word!

Post by Khechog »

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me find the following story:

Some naughty elves, or brownies or such are banished for their mischief. On their subsequent travels they encounter a monster of some kind who can only be vanquished by reciting a magic word which is too long for any of the brownies to remember. So they each memorise one part of the word, climb into the monster's home, and when he comes home jump out, each reciting one part of the word and defeating the monster. Needless to say that puts them back in everyone's good books.

Anyone know it?

Many thanks.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Short Story with a long magic word!

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome to the forums, Khechog. Are you definitely thinking of a short story, or could it have been a chapter from a novel? If it's a whole book, it might well be The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies. The three brownies Hop, Skip and Jump (who have been banished from Fairyland) each memorise part of the word "Kerolamisticootalimarcawnokeeto" and use it to escape from the Golden Dwarf. You can see the different editions of the book (the title was changed for some printings) here:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... 26+Jump%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enid Blyton often reused ideas, so if you're thinking of a short story I hope someone else is able to help.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member