Is this by Enid Blyton - story about a boy and his cousins?

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Pines Peak
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Timothy Kirrin

Is this by Enid Blyton - story about a boy and his cousins?

Post by Pines Peak »

Hello all!

[Sorry for the long post :oops: )

I have been looking at this site and these boards for that past few days - so, so happy to have stumbled upon it :D - and I was hoping that someone could tell me whether the following is from an Enid Blyton tale or not.

In this book a boy has his two cousins (were they his cousins?) - a brother and sister - to stay with him. The boy's family includes the grandfather I believe. The boy is very selfish and doesn't like to share.

At one point the grandfather offers to buy prizes for the child who catches the most shrimps (prawns?). The boy buys a big shrimping net for himself and two very small ones for his cousins which results in him catching the most. The boy then falls in a pool of water in the rocks and loses all of his catch and goes home crying.

I believe the girl wins the prize after that and the selfish boy cries and says he should get it since he caught the most. But grandfather tells him it was for the one who brings the most home. He also yells at the boy to "stop making that noise!" since the boy is crying about falling, losing the shrimp, and losing the prize.

I think at one point the grandfather sees the three nets (maybe an illustration is even included to show them?) and wonders why one is bigger. But he wonders if perhaps the selfish boy and the other boy had been kind enough to let the girl have a bigger one to help her out. Granddad is very disappointed to learn it was the selfish boy who bought the biggest net for himself.

I seem to remember that this story came in a book that was "two books together" - one story was that above and the other may have centered around a little girl. Though this might have been a special reprinting with those two together.

At the same time I received that book for Christmas, I also received another "two-in-one" which had two separate Enid Blyton Stories that they put into a single book. By remembering Snowy the kitten I was able to find that book, i.e. The Birthday Kitten, and the 2nd book, i.e. The Boy Who Wanted a Dog, that was combined for the "two-in-one" in the Cave of Books as separate books. This is why I am wondering if this was an Enid Blyton as well that I was remembering.

A search through the Cave does not bring up anything like the other story I want to find, perhaps someone here can help?

Unfortunately, a move at the end of 2000 resulted in my losing the book I am asking about, the two-in-one Birthday Kitten/Boy Who wanted a Dog, and a three-in-one with the first three Faraway Tree Stories.

I still have my Famous Five, Secret Seven, Malory Towers, St. Clare's, The "Caravan" Family - complete series of all of these, as well as some assorted books like Bimbo and Topsy, The Rabbit's Whisker's and Other Stories, a Mr. Twiddle Book, The Family at Red Roofs etc. I will admit though that I received these for birthdays and Christmases in the late 80's so they are probably not the original editions though they were still before the changes - the name "Fanny" is used in Famous Five and was in Faraway Tree and wasn't changed in the ones I own(ed).

[PS. I LOVE this site and I have started rereading all my Enid Blyton's. I have so far gone through the Famous Five, Secret Seven, Caravan, and St. Clare's, and am now into the Third Year of Malory Towers. These books still bring a smile to my face when reading them. I am so happy to find so many others still enjoying Enid Blyton since I was wondering if it was weird for a female in her 30's (no kids) to be rereading and still enjoying these.]
Moonraker

Re: Is this by Enid Blyton - story about a boy and his cousi

Post by Moonraker »

If it is weird, you are in good company, Pines Peak! Fanny is still used in the Famous Five books, but has been changed to Franny in the Enchanted Wood series.

I have no knowledge of the shrimping story, but I am sure Anita will if it was written by Enid. I am sure she will post soon to confirm.

Welcome aboard.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I do remember the story about the boy and the shrimping net and I'm sure it's by Enid Blyton, but sadly I can't recall where I read it! I think it was in a short story collection. Hope someone is able to help, Pines Peak. Welcome to the forums!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I remember this story very well...but can't for the life of me remember where I read it or what book it's in. I know it was a book of short stories, rather than a book with just two stories in, but I guess there have been very many versions available. Wish I knew the title, but I can't remember! :-(
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Pines Peak wrote:I LOVE this site and I have started rereading all my Enid Blyton's. I have so far gone through the Famous Five, Secret Seven, Caravan, and St. Clare's, and am now into the Third Year of Malory Towers. These books still bring a smile to my face when reading them. I am so happy to find so many others still enjoying Enid Blyton since I was wondering if it was weird for a female in her 30's (no kids) to be rereading and still enjoying these.
Great to hear you are rereading Enid Blyton books and enjoying them. I think they are the best books written in the world, and it's difficult not to smile while reading! :D A very warm welcome to the forums!! :mrgreen:
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I'm a female in her 30s with no kids and I still love reading Enid Blyton books, so you're not that weird. :wink: Welcome to the forums!

I'm sorry I can't help with the story enquiry, but since it rings a bell with a couple of other people at least, I'm sure someone will track it down eventually...
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I don't recognise the story I'm afraid, but I do know that most of the omnibus editions are not shown in the cave. There are many 2 in 1s of the Famous Fives, 3 in 1s of the Naughtiest Girl and so on, but there is no section in the cave for those so your memory could well be correct, but you may not be able to find that edition here if so.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
tix

Post by tix »

On May 30th, 2016 'Pines Peak' enquired about an elusive story -

"I was hoping that someone could tell me whether the following is from an Enid Blyton tale or not ...."

It is.

The 'two books together' factor probably applies to a later edition but the tale in question - an old 'Sunny Stories' item (as they usually are) has been reprinted in 'EB Readers #4.'

"In this book a boy has his two cousins (were they his cousins?) - a brother and sister - to stay with him."

Yes, they are his cousins.

James, Millie, and Sammy are the main characters (plus grandpa) although Auntie Mary and Uncle Hugh also receive a mention.

Two of the kids receive a prize for their prawning capabilities. 'Shrimping' is a more familiar term (to me) but it appears you can buy 'prawning' nets as well. Maybe they're the same.

Eileen Soper is the illustrator, and who better?

'Selfish Sammy' is the title, and this story can also be found in 'The Conjuring Wizard.'
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I knew I'd read the story somewhere, and as I have 'The Conjuring Wizard' that was no doubt where I read it.
Pines Peak wrote: I still have my Famous Five, Secret Seven, Malory Towers, St. Clare's, The "Caravan" Family - complete series of all of these, as well as some assorted books like Bimbo and Topsy, The Rabbit's Whisker's and Other Stories
I looked up the title 'Selfish Sammy' in the cave, Pines Peak, and see that the story you remember is actually in the book you mention - 'The Rabbit's Whiskers and Other Stories' ;-)

'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Pines Peak
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Timothy Kirrin

Post by Pines Peak »

Thanks to all for the welcome and for solving the case! :D

Oops, I didn't realize it was in The Rabbit's Whiskers and Other Stories. :oops:

Now I just have to find that book - I am also missing my Don't Be Silly, Mr. Twiddle :? Mine is the edition with the orange hardcover... I still remember it well.... Twiddle bringing in the sheep and goat instead of sheet and coat, accidentally ordering a pair of shoes when he wanted pears, getting plant bulbs instead of electric bulbs, selling his shoes when he was told to get them soled, and on and on :D

I know that I didn't get rid of those books, it's just to figure out which of the many boxes that never got unpacked since 2000 they are in. I am praying I also find the Birthday Kitten/Boy Who Wanted a Dog as well as 3-in-one Faraway Tree but I think those were lent and lost... or something happened to them because I remember being very upset when I found out I wasn't getting them back :cry:

The Primary School I went to would give out book prizes every year. My first year I got The Rabbit's Whiskers and Other Stories, 2nd was Bimbo and Topsy, and the third year I got the Don't Be Silly, Mr. Twiddle - our teachers were Blyton fans I suppose so the first three years' students got Blytons, then I got Little Women and Charles Dickens abridged in years 4 and 5, respectively.

Given that they were prizes with the school prize sticker inside and a note from my teacher, I know I wouldn't have given those two away.

When my eldest brother moved out his room became a "storage" room for boxes of things were weren't really using but didn't want to get rid of. I had a mild panic attack when Rabbit and Twiddle weren't in the two boxes with all my other books. But I'm still holding out hope.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

tix wrote:'Selfish Sammy' is the title
Ah yes. Thanks for solving the mystery, Tix. Like Pines Peak, I've read 'Selfish Sammy' in The Rabbit's Whiskers and Other Stories.

I hope you find the missing books, Pines Peak. I love Mr. Twiddle - he's most endearing even though he makes a lot of mistakes.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member