Suggest E-Books For The Faraway Tree Series

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Sharon Foo

Suggest E-Books For The Faraway Tree Series

Post by Sharon Foo »

Dear Tony,

Greetings from Malaysia! A brief introduction about myself; my name is Sharon Foo and I’m desperately hunting for the 3 faraway tree series; The Enchanted Wood, The Magic Faraway Tree and The Folk Of The Faraway Tree back in the 1970s or 1990s edition but finding those in Malaysia seems impossible now. I used to own these books but I’ve senselessly given away to my friends a few years back ago. I really regretted with my foolish act as I’m so eagerly wanted to introduce these magical books to my son. Little did I know that actually I once own such precious gem and now was lost forever… :(

I’ve been browsing through the internet and hope that I would by luck still be able to purchase these books once again but to my surprise some people who still own these books are selling with very high price which I could not afford at all….and I feel it’s actually not worth by paying such large amount for just a book. Hence, I’m just wondering if anyone who could be so kind enough who own these earlier editions to download it as e-books ( of course with the consent of copyright approved by enid blyton’s publisher ). I’m sure tons of Enid’s fans would be so delighted to download these series as their collection. I don’t mind paying a certain fee for downloading the books. It’s better than nothing! Do you think it’s possible?

I’m really disappointed with the new editions which have lost all the magical trilling in these books. I believe those of us who own the earlier editions know how I feel and would not opt for the new versions.

Hopefully my suggestion would be considered?

Thanks Tony for everything.

Sharon Foo :lol:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Suggest E-Books For The Faraway Tree Series

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome to the website and forums, Sharon, and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble finding older copies of the Faraway Tree books. I'm afraid it's highly unlikely that the company which holds the rights to Enid Blyton's work (Chorion) would give permission for e-books of early versions of the Faraway Tree series. If the publishers do make e-books available (I don't know whether they have done so already) I expect they would use the current versions. Once Enid Blyton's work is out of copyright the situation will be different of course, but that won't be until the end of 2038! If I were you I'd keep hunting until I found the editions I wanted at a reasonable price. You could try second-hand bookshops and jumble sales as well as international internet sites (it might be worth the postage costs if the books can be bought fairly cheaply from another country). Is it possible to sign up for eBay or a similar auction site in Malaysia? If all that takes too long and you're afraid your son will miss out on the books altogether, the current editions are probably better than nothing at all.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Sharon Foo

Post by Sharon Foo »

Hello! Anita,

Its very nice of you to reply my suggestion. Well, I did hunt for these books at ebay almost from end to end and I'm really disappointed with the results I found. Either the books are in bad shape or if they are as good as new, it would cost me RM60 - 70.00 each of the books! :( Sad to say, not many second hand bookstores I can find in Malaysia...anyway, it's a good suggestion and I try looking for one.

I just don't understand why the latest edition of The Faraway Tree Collection about 6 chapters were taken out from the original books. I loved the Land of Presents and that one has been taken out completely! I was so happy and excited when I saw the first edition of the trilogy book back in 2002 and I immediately bought one but when I browse through the whole book, I was so disappointed and even felt angry why they 'simply' altered the book in such manner. In two days time, I returned the book and exchanged it with the trilogy of The Wishing Chair instead. At least, this book is very original and has not been bridged or altered at all.

I'm just wondering if we write-in to Chorion(??) to request re-print of the older edition due to great demands, do you think they will consider about it? Anita, I'm praying hard that this will work!

Sharon Foo
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

The Faraway Tree Collection that you had sounds like the Dean edition, Sharon. That's not too bad as modern editions go, because two of the books in it (The Enchanted Wood and The Folk of the Faraway Tree) are complete and I think (though I'm not 100% certain) they even have the original character names and original text. However, The Magic Faraway Tree has been heavily and clumsily abridged, as you said. You could always get that edition again as it is very reasonably priced (or at least it is in the UK) and then keep looking out for an early-ish edition of The Magic Faraway Tree.

Try writing to Chorion by all means but I think publishers will only consider bringing out facsimiles of early editions if they feel that there is sufficient interest and a strong "nostalgia" factor. Even then, they're reluctant to return to the original text. The Famous Five books were brought out as hardbacks a few years ago, with copies of the early dust-jackets and the original internal illustrations by Eileen Soper. They looked attractive enough at first glance but, confusingly and totally illogically, they had updated text!!

Anita

Society Member
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

Hello Sharon,
E-bay listings keep changing, so keep looking. Also see if libraries have holdings of the older editions. Incidentally, I wouldn't mind e-versions of Enid Blyton books myself - all original text ofcourse. The problem for me is space. There are far too many Enid Blyton books and I simply don't have the space for them in my apartment. While I am generally very old school when it comes to books, I have been thinking lately that Enid Blyton is a prime candidate for the Kindle or some other e-reader. I keep putting requests in with Amazon (since they own Kindle they have a vested interest in bringing out as many e-books as possible). Honestly though, I am equally convinced this situation isn't going to change anytime soon...
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

70s-child wrote:Incidentally, I wouldn't mind e-versions of Enid Blyton books myself - all original text ofcourse. The problem for me is space. There are far too many Enid Blyton books and I simply don't have the space for them in my apartment. While I am generally very old school when it comes to books, I have been thinking lately that Enid Blyton is a prime candidate for the Kindle or some other e-reader. I keep putting requests in with Amazon (since they own Kindle they have a vested interest in bringing out as many e-books as possible).
We too have a very small house and space is becoming more and more of an issue when it comes to books. I don't have an e-reader but I'm quite interested in the concept, while still loving the texture, heaviness and smell of a book (not to mention the sense of history that comes with handling an old volume). I was wondering whether illustrations are shown on e-readers, or whether they're text only? I've heard that with some e-readers (perhaps all?) you can choose whether to read the book or have it narrated to you, depending what mood you're in. If that's correct, I was wondering if the reading sounds robotic or if the story is read with expression? Wouldn't it be great to listen to an original text Enid Blyton book that sounded as if it were being read to you by a middle-aged woman with an old-fashioned RP accent? It would feel as if the story were being narrated by Enid Blyton herself!

Anita

Society Member
Sharon Foo

Post by Sharon Foo »

Hello! 70's-child and Anita,

Many thanks for your support on my suggestion for E-books. Well, I believe we are moving fast towards that era as all over the world are talking about saving the environment from global warming. Papers and books will be soon in the past...but frankly speaking just like Anita's comment, nothing could beat the enjoyment of holding those books either fresh from printing or the season of smell which holds so much good memories....aaahhhhh :lol:

Anyway, let's just hope that 70's-child's suggestion would eventually be heard at Kindle(?) to have EB books on E-Readers. Keep up the good work and I will support you all the way! :P

Talking about purchasing books at ebay, Oh! Dear, I'm really at lost. Malaysia indeed has ebay website by itself but unfortunately no one in my own country are selling any of those lovely books I'm hunting now. Those books available are mostly in UK and I'm not sure how to buy and pay the seller, the postage in different currency and whether is reliable or not? Anyone can help me on this matter?

Sharon Foo
:oops: :oops:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Sharon Foo wrote: Malaysia indeed has ebay website by itself but unfortunately no one in my own country are selling any of those lovely books I'm hunting now. Those books available are mostly in UK and I'm not sure how to buy and pay the seller, the postage in different currency and whether is reliable or not? Anyone can help me on this matter?
Have you tried setting up a Paypal account, Sharon? I'm not sure whether it's available in all countries but it enables you to make a payment to someone in any currency, through the Paypal site. The payment goes straight into the seller's bank account but they don't get to see your bank details and you don't get to see theirs. You get a receipt from Paypal detailing the transaction. Most sellers on eBay accept Paypal, although not all do so it's important to check before bidding.

Anita

Society Member
70s-child

Post by 70s-child »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: We too have a very small house and space is becoming more and more of an issue when it comes to books. I don't have an e-reader but I'm quite interested in the concept, while still loving the texture, heaviness and smell of a book (not to mention the sense of history that comes with handling an old volume). I was wondering whether illustrations are shown on e-readers, or whether they're text only? I've heard that with some e-readers (perhaps all?) you can choose whether to read the book or have it narrated to you, depending what mood you're in. If that's correct, I was wondering if the reading sounds robotic or if the story is read with expression? Wouldn't it be great to listen to an original text Enid Blyton book that sounded as if it were being read to you by a middle-aged woman with an old-fashioned RP accent? It would feel as if the story were being narrated by Enid Blyton herself!
Anita
I don't have an e-reader yet either since I am waiting for more books to be available electronically before I get one. A good e-reader, like the Kindle or the Sony e-reader, will show illustrations. I have also seen people read newspapers on the i-phone or the blackberry, but I don't know about either since I am consciously keeping away from anything that might make me a slave to my email. I don't think they are as good as the kindle/sony though. The advantage of Kindle or Sony over a regular computer, is that they mimic printed text best, which a computer doesn't do (which is why reading on a computer screen is a pain). Their advantage over the i-phone and the blackberry seem to be the size of the screen as well as the quality of the text.
I don't think that either the kindle or the sony has audio capability. Plus, to be able to "hear" a book you would have to have the audio-book, which is read by someone. I-tunes has loads of good audiobooks for the I-pod, but they don't have any Enid Blytons (are there any?).
I think if you want to be able to read and listen simultaneously, you will need the i-phone, though as I said its text capability may not be as good as kindle's. Incidentally, like the I-pod/i-phone, Kindle and Sony are tied to specific stores. Kindle is tied to amazon, so to get a book on the kindle you have to purchase it from amazon. Can't go anywhere else.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks for the further information, 70s-child. Some Enid Blyton books are available in audio form but generally the text has been updated/abridged. I've no idea whether it's possible to listen to them on i-pods (or e-readers, if any do have audio capability).
70s-child wrote:Incidentally, like the I-pod/i-phone, Kindle and Sony are tied to specific stores. Kindle is tied to amazon, so to get a book on the kindle you have to purchase it from amazon. Can't go anywhere else.
That's useful to know. I hadn't realised that any of those sorts of gadgets were tied to specific stores.

Anita

Society Member
Sharon Foo

Post by Sharon Foo »

Thanks Anita! That was very kind of you in explaining how to go about on ebay's transaction payment. I think I will follow your first suggestion...that is to buy the Dean version The Faraway Tree Collection which is still available in Malaysia and then hunt for the older versions which I believe I can get from 2nd hand bookstores locally. Like you said, if I failed to get those books at least I still have one collection that is better than none! Hahaha..... :mrgreen:

Thanks for everything! :wink:

Sharon Foo
:P
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

Hi Sharon

You could also try ebay Australia (http://www.ebay.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). A lot of people selling EB books on there are happy to post overseas. Loads of Dean and other older editions too.

Salam hangat

Catherine
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

:D Hi Anita.

I can confirm that the sony e reader, does have audio capabilities, though its through headphones, as there is no loudspeaker.

I hope this is useful.

Wayne.
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
70s-child

Post by 70s-child »

Wayne,
Could you let me know more about this? I was reading on Amazon that kindle now "reads to you". I am guessing this is true for the sony as well. what does this mean? Is this some kind of text to speech conversion? If so, how good is the technology? My impression was that they had been struggling with this for years and never quite got it right. Or is it simply the audiobook version of the regular book - with an actor narrating the book?
Thanks!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks, Wayne. Like 70s-child, I'd be interested to know more about the technology and the quality of the narration and whether the audio option is available for all books.

Anita

Society Member