Read Someone's Book Blurb and Give it a Title

Use this forum for quizzes and other Blyton games.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Read Someone's Book Blurb and Give it a Title

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

This game does get confusing, especially as it's the reverse of another game. When Mehul started it off, he said:
Rules: First I will post a story blurb (invented of course). And someone else has to invent a title for it. That person has to post another blurb.
I've altered the title of the thread to make things a bit clearer.

No one has come up with a title for Snehalatha's story yet, so why not continue the game from that point?:
Nair Snehalatha wrote:Two old ladies come as paying guests in Aunt Fanny's place--- as she needs a bit of money Uncle Quentin agrees--- Joanna the old cook has to do a lot more cooking now, as the old ladies love Joanna's cooking.--- the jam tarts are scrumplicious, the gingerbread delicious, the pork pie delumptious , the macaroons are wordless-- and so on and so on.-- All is fine until one fine day , a letter arrives --- the two old ladies look restless and disturbed-- even scared-- what is in the letter and who could it be from? Aunt Fanny tries to find out-- but accepting defeat, calls up Julian--- another matter to be solved-- what would Famous Five find?
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

And perhaps we should underline the title for the previous blurb, and then write New Blurb: or something for our own, so that the old title and the new blurb are visibly separate?

Crikey even that sounds confusing! :? :roll:
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I know what you mean, Cathy! It is confusing having (in each post) a title and blurb which don't belong together!

Perhaps people could put something like

Title for blurb above: -----------

Next blurb: --------------------------------------------------------------
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Yes that's a good idea - that looks very neat and tidy, and there shouldn't be any confusion! :)
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Nair Snehalatha wrote:Two old ladies come as paying guests in Aunt Fanny's place--- as she needs a bit of money Uncle Quentin agrees--- Joanna the old cook has to do a lot more cooking now, as the old ladies love Joanna's cooking.--- the jam tarts are scrumplicious, the gingerbread delicious, the pork pie delumptious , the macaroons are wordless-- and so on and so on.-- All is fine until one fine day , a letter arrives --- the two old ladies look restless and disturbed-- even scared-- what is in the letter and who could it be from? Aunt Fanny tries to find out-- but accepting defeat, calls up Julian--- another matter to be solved-- what would Famous Five find?
How about... Five Solve a Scrumptious Conundrum :D

(That blurb has really got me intrigued - were the old ladies two poor innocent people in sudden danger from something in their past, or were they themselves secretly up to no good? I reckon there's some clue in the food somehow, hence my thought for a title... maybe one of you fan-fic continuation writers could take this one up and ease our curiosity??)

I'm working on a new blurb, but will put it in a separate post to avoid any confusion! Please be patient.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Here's a new blurb from me - what title would you give this?

It's the hols again, and Larry, Daisy, Pip and Bets are longing, as always, for even the smell of a mystery. But this year, Fatty isn't coming home to Peterswood; he's left Buster with his parents and is boarding with a tutor in another town nearby, to swot up for his final year at high school and, he hopes, win a coveted university scholarship. The few times his friends have seen him, he seems oddly quiet and withdrawn, not much like himself, and strangely reluctant to talk to them for long or tell them what he's been doing. Study stress, everyone assumes. But then strange things start to happen in Peterswood. A string of acts of vandalism, break-ins, petty thefts - but getting increasingly frequent and more serious in nature - and disturbingly, circumstantial yet telling evidence seems to link the crimes to Fatty. Old Clear-Orf is quietly gloating; That Toad of a Boy must have finally gone off the rails, and he'll be the one to prove it (or his name's not Theophilus Goon). The Hiltons and Daykins can't believe it; someone must be setting Fatty up somehow. But then, what is behind his strange behaviour? Can the Four Find-Outers (and Dog) solve this mystery without Fatty at their side - when Fatty himself is the mystery...?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
daanton
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE
Favourite character: All the Five, but especially Anne.

Post by daanton »

Dunno....

"The Five Find-Outers Ferret Out One of Their Own"?
Famous Five TV Fan
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Oooh... nice alliteration, but I could be really mean and say Find-Outers titles always begin with The Mystery of the... :mrgreen:

If you'd like to give that a try (or anyone else would), please do. Otherwise, go ahead if you can think of a new blurb, Daanton - I don't mind either way. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules in this game! :)
Society Member

daanton
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE
Favourite character: All the Five, but especially Anne.

Post by daanton »

Making up a blurb probably won't be easy for me, but I'll give it a go:

Julian & Dick are holidaying in France [remember "Secret Trail"?], camping within a field of tall shade trees in Normandy, next to an old abandoned cottage. Strange things happen at night, especially one night when they spy mysterious signal lights between the old cottage and a top of the tower of an old ruined castle. Suspicions arise within them when investigating the old cottage yields them a couple of barking guard dogs and the cold castle yields them a nearby farmhand trying to mislead them thinking nothing's going on except the work of ghosts. Next morning, the boys discover Anne and George (with Timmy) have arrived, having crossed the ferry over the Channel to a coastal town near where the boys are camped. This strange nighttime adventure gets the girls interested and soon the Five are on the case. Who lives in the old cottage and the castle, what is this ancient secret being kept hidden, and can the Five discover it in time before dire consequences arise??

Well, I tried. I wish you luck...!
Famous Five TV Fan
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Ooh - it sounds slightly similar to Five on a Secret Trail! Would Five Find Adventure In France , be an appropriate title?

Right, well here's a new blurb. What title could fit this?

The Find-Outers are all back from boarding school and are sniffing out a new mystery. The children visit an old manor house taking a delivery for Fatty's mother, situated on the outskirts of Peterswood. An old woman there thanks them for it; she seems a kindly old woman. The children are interested in a tower on the end of the house and the woman invites them back to show them round. She is busy currently for she has a visitor. The children return days later and are surprised to find that the woman isn't in, more so to see the entire house locked up and a cook coming away. They ask her where the householder is and they say she has left unexpectedly, yet why, when Fatty and the others come back to investigate, do they see smoke coming from two chimneys? Even stranger, after inquiring at the estate agents, Fatty learns that after someone else inquired, the man there paid a call on the Manor and the householder herself answered the door and confirmed all was well with her. What is going on at the Manor?
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

In my blurb -- the two old ladies are innocent-- it's something from their past that comes up again-- I feel rather sad that no-one is giving it a title-- :( :( :( :( :(
Nair Snehalatha

Poppy's blurb reminds me of-- The mystery of the strange messages-- The title of the blurb could be-- Strange happenings at the Manor. :) :) :)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Nair Snehalatha wrote:In my blurb -- the two old ladies are innocent-- it's something from their past that comes up again-- I feel rather sad that no-one is giving it a title-- :( :( :( :( :(
Courtenay suggested one -

How about... Five Solve a Scrumptious Conundrum :D
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Mehul
Favourite book/series: Secret Seven, Six Cousins and FFO
Favourite character: Peter, Roderick, Jack from SS, Susan etc

Post by Mehul »

Goodness. To think that my topic took such a slow start and then all these things happened and I didn't know!
Well I will think of a title. How about... wait a second. Well I guess I would have to wait for a blurb. :!: :!: :!:
SPORTY EEL was here.
Nair Snehalatha

Fatty, Larry and Pip, go for a weekend holiday to Fatty's grandma's house in lovely country-- his grandmother has a beautiful ancestral home-- there's a pretty garden with a summer house in the middle.There's a pond with goldfish ,and a few steps leading down to the water--- Fatty and the others go down those steps-- and what do they find?-- meantime Daisy, Bets and Buster are waiting for the other 3 to come-- what news will they come back with? :) :)