Weird translation of a scene

Use this forum for quizzes and other Blyton games.
Raci

Wierd translation of a scene

Post by Raci »

Matthew Roberts wrote:Weird Blyton Translation
Use AltaVista BabelFish to translate a passage from the books into another language and then back into English, and let others try to figure out the original passage. The results of the double translation are often very amusing.
I'd never heard of this site before so I thought I'd give it a go and see what happened :D
This is the website for anyone who wants to join in:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/

And here's the scene twice translated. Which book is it from?

Unexpectedly it hand began to tryastit' in proportion to it it held map, and its eye flashed genial'n in proportion to it it looked upward on others. It opened its mouth but it did not have a talk. "there will be the matter" it it said lyuboznatel'n. "upward? Have that lost you to your language?" She shook its head, also, after this beginning to speak with hurry. "you do know this? This will be the map of my old zamoka, zamoka Kirrin, when this not was by ruin. And it shows dungeons! And view, valid view it is written in this angle of dungeons!" It dressed into the finger to shake one part of the map. Others were relied over in order to see it was. And in old-fashioned letters there was printed inquisitive word.......

When someones worked it out I'll post the original scene as I typed it in :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

This must come from Five on a Treasure Island, when the children find the map of Kirrin Castle and see the word "ingots" written in the dungeons.

Zamoka, zamoka indeed! Sounds like one of Enid Blyton's magic spells!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

"This will be the map of my old zamoka, zamoka Kirrin, when this not was by ruin."

Yes, I agree with Anita. I can't make out which language it has been translated to/from.

I would guess the above translates as:

"This is an old map of my old castle, Kirrin Castle, when it wasn't a ruin."
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Have a go with this!

Congeals the blood roars the sound somewhere suddenly to come from the house. Mr. Goon stopped looking like him to fire. What "is that?" He said. "sounds the dog," fatty to say. The "fearful animal it must be. I thought I will go, Mr. Goon, and will leave behind you to deal with him. "
Society Member
Raci

Post by Raci »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:This must come from Five on a Treasure Island, when the children find the map of Kirrin Castle and see the word "ingots" written in the dungeons.
Correct! here's the original scene:

Suddenly her hands began to shake as she held the map, and her eyes gleamed brilliantly as she looked up at the others. She opened her mouth but didn't speak. "What's the matter" he said curiously. "What's up? Have you lost your tongue?" She shook her head and then began to speak with a rush. "Do you know what this is? It's a map of my old castle, of Kirrin Castle, when it wasn't a ruin. And it shows the dungeons! And look, just look what's written in this corner of the dungeons!" She put a trembling finger on one part of the map. The others leaned over to see what it was. And printed in old-fashioned letters was a curious word........

I had translated it into Russian and back again :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

[User who has since had his/her post deleted at his/her request:] ' "this is it above this ridge?' caused by George climbing upward along the steep bank of svis water, which was now sufficiently deep from vzdymayas' tide. People send to look - and after this George gave to them syarpriz of their lives! It broke into a run to the gene Shooyu and gave to it this pressure that it it fell correctly above the high bank in the sea below, prizemlyayushchsya with yell and terrific by splash.'

This is from Five Are Together Again, when George pushes Mr. Wooh into the sea.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

How about this one?

Work the colleague the different box ten, sprang up the red fox U at the presto and the outside,! It gave the short bark and regarding it nose the fact that it runs in the that time shop and ground it was started. The children together, the fox isolated ground fall inside the water and long the chair which becomes their both sides which sits and half fear their leg which is drawn up. Them until now were the fortune shop in the head of a family interest which is in an inside,! It defended the fact that it is idle fancy all the strangeness inside the box! With realness, summary U tin there must be a magic. The shop where it is suitable the possibility of connecting it was not.

Anita
Rowena

Post by Rowena »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:How about this one?

Work the colleague the different box ten, sprang up the red fox U at the presto and the outside,! It gave the short bark and regarding it nose the fact that it runs in the that time shop and ground it was started. The children together, the fox isolated ground fall inside the water and long the chair which becomes their both sides which sits and half fear their leg which is drawn up. Them until now were the fortune shop in the head of a family interest which is in an inside,! It defended the fact that it is idle fancy all the strangeness inside the box! With realness, summary U tin there must be a magic. The shop where it is suitable the possibility of connecting it was not.

Anita
Is the the Wishing Chair, when they first find it and it carries them home from the Antiques Shop?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Well done, Rowena! The passage got well and truly mangled in translation into Korean and back again :lol: ! It comes from Chapter 1 of Adventures of the Wishing-Chair, the first sentence being: "The little fellow opened another box, and, hey presto, out jumped a red fox!"

Anita
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

The kku ten l time 1 morning, the wind which is rushed in inside will be wrong passes over his front gate nearly, non. "Whooo-ooo-ooo! "It talked the wind to the normality of his voice, in the kku's table it swelled up the some flower from the kettle. "! "It talks the kku. which "The n soul which you will make cap thing now see! Me which am busy morning, too much! "

I've taken the liberty of shortening the character's name, as it translates the same - this would somewhat give the game away. (kku is the name of the character)
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I'll guess Noddy and Tessie Bear, because it's about a windy day!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Well done, Anita - and coming from someone who doesn't rate Noddy too highly!
It is the first three paragraphs from the book.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks, Moonraker. Noddy and Tessie Bear is one of the few Noddy books which I read aloud to my son when he was younger so I remember it reasonably well (more's the pity! :wink: )

Anita
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Here's another one:

One as it peels the children who are hoped will be precise! Them awoke and one the sleep which steams the bed phel ccek they ran. Them were stimulated and their curtains they saw at the outside. The sky we is rs green onion Raess with trillion rnf. The sun shines between the tree, the shadow is long with the dew comes into bearing in the grass and it puts. The tree which it fascinates was dark and their regular staff it stood from after mysterious one.
HeatherS
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by HeatherS »

Phew! Rings absolutely no bells whatsoever, but then - it doesn't make any sense at all either!

My only thought (and I'm sure it's wrong) is that it might be describing the Faraway Tree - but that's only because it mentions trees!
Heather
"Have you held your breath in wonder, at the sky so dark and deep?" - Enid Blyton
http://www.heathersblytonpages.com/