Name the Forumite

Use this forum for quizzes and other Blyton games.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Name the Forumite

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A few days ago Aurélien suggested that we have a "Name the Forumite" game:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Aurélien wrote:...should our Anita ever organize a 'Name the Member' thread, using half-a-dozen photos of forumites as youngsters [no babies!] I'll contribute one of my early photos...
...the thread sounds like a good idea, Aurélien. Those who want to participate can send their photos to me as jpeg scans if they like, and when I've got enough (let's give people a couple of weeks to hunt out photos and scan them) I'll start the thread, adding a photo of my own too. So come on, be brave and dig out those photos!
This idea has been discussed in a couple of threads but I thought I'd repeat the information here so it's easier to find and those who would like to participate don't miss it.

So far I've received three photos of "young rascals," but that's not enough for an entertaining and challenging game so I'm hoping more forumites will join in. Please do contribute a photo if you like, even if you haven't posted much. It doesn't matter if those who play the game have to make a completely wild guess at some of them. I don't know whether it's possible to send photos by PM (as some people have asked) but I'd prefer it if people sent them as an email attachment, preferably as a jpeg image of a sensible size. I think you can send me an email by clicking on the envelope image beneath my avatar. If that doesn't work, please PM me to ask for my email address.

I won't set a firm date at this stage, but I hope people will be able to send in their photos within the next ten days or so. The more the merrier! When I have enough pictures, I'll post them in this thread. After that I'm not sure how to proceed. Should contestants post their guesses in the thread (which means that some might be influenced by earlier answers, although that may not matter much as it's only a bit of fun), or would people prefer to email their answers to me, with the identities and results being announced after a few days? Did you have any particular plan in mind, Aurélien? What does everyone think?

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Re: Name the Forumite

Post by shadow »

I've got my photo all ready. Just a couple of points

1. What envelope underneath your avatar

2. Do you want an up to date photo to show everyone how we look now - to be used at the end of the game as a big reveal or when the identity has been guessed?
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Should contestants post their guesses in the thread (which means that some might be influenced by earlier answers, although that may not matter much as it's only a bit of fun), or would people prefer to email their answers to me.
It would probably be great fun to read the guesses in this thread, it should lead to a fair amount of banter I would imagine. :lol:
shadow wrote:I've got my photo all ready. Do you want an up to date photo to show everyone how we look now - to be used at the end of the game as a big reveal or when the identity has been guessed?
Hmmm, I would rather not go that far, semi-anonymity is more my forte. :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

shadow wrote:I've got my photo all ready. Just a couple of points

1. What envelope underneath your avatar?
Sorry about that. Thinking about it, it's possible that that might only be visible to the all-seeing eyes :wink: of moderators/administrators! If people need my email address to submit a photo, please PM me and I'll send it to you.
shadow wrote:2. Do you want an up to date photo to show everyone how we look now - to be used at the end of the game as a big reveal or when the identity has been guessed?
I'll leave that up to individuals - anyone who wants to can post an up to date photo at the end of the game. It would be interesting to see them!

Anita

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Baby photos, or of when we were toddlers?! :lol:

Society Member
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

I'll try to send a photo at the beginning of next week - I need to phone my parents to get them to scan me a photo first, and then I'll need to work out how to e-mail one to you.
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Ming wrote:Baby photos, or of when we were toddlers?! :lol:
So far, the photos I've received have shown people aged between about 3 and 11.

Society Member
Muminah
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers & Dog Series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack Trent & Darrel.

Post by Muminah »

Great Game! :D I have not posted a picture of myself here, but this is interesting. I'll try to get a picture of my younger days. But, first I have to find one! :?
Anita Bensoussane wrote: When I have enough pictures, I'll post them in this thread. After that I'm not sure how to proceed. Should contestants post their guesses in the thread (which means that some might be influenced by earlier answers, although that may not matter much as it's only a bit of fun), or would people prefer to email their answers to me, with the identities and results being announced after a few days? Did you have any particular plan in mind, Aurélien? What does everyone think?

Anita
Well, I think it's better to post it to you Anita,:) and finally you can announce the winner with everyones guesses. Then we can have a Good laugh as we will be able to see "who thought, who is who". :wink: This is going to be fun!!! :D Anyway, we'll have to see what the Great Game Inventor's idea is! What do you think Aurelien? :D
"How funny grown-ups are!"said Anne, puzzled."I'm quite certain I shall be thrilled to see a sliding panel or a trap-door even when I'm a hundred".
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

With Aurelien being the trouble maker he is, :P I'm sure he'd love to wind us all up by letting people guess right here, and have answers influenced by previous posters.

Society Member
hope189
Favourite book/series: Five findouters and dog
Favourite character: George and Fatty

Post by hope189 »

Great idea for a game! :D
"Hope springs eternal in the human breast"
-Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Hope189 wrote:Great idea for a game! :D

Yes, we haven't heard from Aurélien for a few days but I'm sure he'll be pleased with the response.

I've got seven photos of "young rascals" so far, and I look forward to receiving more!

Anita

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I plan to contribute but was working today and will be working tomorrow, so Tuesday I will raid the photo albums. Thanks for the pm Anita, saved me the bother of pming you for your addy 8)
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
shadow wrote:I've got my photo all ready. Just a couple of points

1. What envelope underneath your avatar?
Sorry about that. Thinking about it, it's possible that that might only be visible to the all-seeing eyes :wink: of moderators/administrators!
Strange that, Tony has the envelope icon under his avatar, maybe you have disabled this function, Anita? As far as I can see, most of us (if not all) are displaying this symbol.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

If you use this way to email someone it is not like an ordinary email as it doesn't go through your email box but through the forums and it is therefore not possible to send any attachments this way.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Moonraker wrote:Strange that, Tony has the envelope icon under his avatar, maybe you have disabled this function, Anita?
I think I disabled that function (or perhaps didn't enable it, which amounts to the same thing!) because I'm wary of opening emails from an unknown source.

Anita

Society Member