Write a story!

Use this forum for quizzes and other Blyton games.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Write a story!

Post by Ming »

Okay, a new "game", this. Write a paragraph or a passage a post, in a story form, so that it's a bit like a "Round Robin". I'll start off with a Find-Outer's story.

THE MYSTERY OF THE EMPTY HOUSE

"Get up, Frederick!" shouted Mrs Trotteville and knocked on Fatty's door. Fatty groaned and looked at the clock. Nine o' clock! "Plenty of time," he thought, rolled over and fell promptly asleep again.

Mrs Trotteville, rather surprised at the lack of noise in Fatty's room, opened the door. "Frederick?" she asked, sharply. "What's wrong with you? You're usually up by seven, and today you haven't stirred a bit! Take a look at the clock, it's nine! Gosh, your father is furious at you!"

"Let him be," said Fatty, who had woken up for a second. "I'm sleepy, and it's hols! Why do you bother me so much?"

"What time did you go to bed?" asked Mrs Trotteville, annoyed.

"Midnight. Larry, Pip and I were snooping round the empty house!" he said, unmindfully, and fell asleep again.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Mrs Trottevile left the room, slightly annoyed.

"I hope the children aren't going to get involved in any more mysteries," she thought to herself. "They really shouldn't go snooping around so much. The last thing I want is that policeman round here again!"

It was half-term, and Fatty, Larry, Daisy, Pip and Bets were all together again. Buster too, of course; he was most delighted to have all his friends with him once more. It was October, and although the evenings were dark early, the weather had been very pleasant. Mild sunny days and crisp, cool nights.

For once, they hadn't bumped into the village policeman yet. They had been home for three days now, and not seen Mr Goon once! Poor Buster was missing those tempting ankles to dance around!

At last Fatty woke up. He looked at the hands on his alarm clock with dismay - they told him that it was five-and-twenty-past ten! He leapt out of bed, hurriedly washed and dressed, and tore down the stairs - three at a time!

"Frederick!" called out his mother, "Why do you have to make so much noise? You know it makes your father angry. It is Sunday, after all!"

"Sorry mother," said fatty, "But I promised to meet the others at Larry's at half-past ten, and I shall be late!"

"Speaking of the others," said his mother, "I am not very happy at you snooping around that empty house at midnight. I don't want you getting involved with Goon again, or getting into any danger."

She was wasting her breath. Fatty had gone!
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Write a story

Post by Daisy »

As Fatty jogged quickly along to Larry's, with a delighted Buster trotting beside him, he thought again of what he and the other boys had been doing the previous night. So preoccupied was he with his thoughts that he failed to see the oh so familiar sight of Mr Goon on his bike approaching the corner as he Fatty was about to cross the road. PC Goon slowed down and was very surprised to see both Fatty and Buster carry on towards Larry's without even Buster stopping to bark! Mr Goon stopped and stared after them. What was that toad of a boy doing - running along with such an intent look on his face? Surely there must be a reason - one which no doubt involved the other four young pests and therefore one which they would wish Mr Goon to know nothing about. With this in mind Goon followed the now panting Fatty until he saw him turn into Larry's drive.
Knowing nothing of this Fatty puffed up to the garden shed which they sometimes used as a meeting place and pushing open the door he burst in. A rather alarmed looking Larry greeted him.
"Where are the others?" asked Fatty when he had recovered his breath.
"You really are silly sometimes," was the tart response from Larry. " You know our parents like us to go to church with them on the Sundays when we're home from school! I had to pretend I didn't feel very well so I could stay to meet you. The others are coming as soon as they can."
Fatty groaned. "Gosh" he said "I can't have been thinking straight when we parted last night. I'm awfully sorry! I say, have you got anything to eat here, I dashed out without my breakfast?"
Larry grinned and produced a packet of biscuits from which Fatty took a couple.
"Thanks! We'd better wait for the others then, and discuss what we discovered last night when they get here."
Just then Buster gave a growl and went towards the door. The boys immediately listened hard. There was the distinct crunching sound as if large shoes were stepping onto the gravel path which surrounded the shed.
Ming

Post by Ming »

"Shhh.... quiet, Buster," whispered Fatty. "It's Goon!" he said, facing Larry.

"Gosh!" said Larry. "What's he here for? He hasn't found out about the empty house, has he?"

"Can't be," said Fatty. Suddenly he grinned, and pulled out a small mustache from his pocket. The things he kept in his pocket really were amazing! Fatty twisted his face, and quickly adjusted the mustache. He looked around and quickly grabbed at the old coat and hat hanging on a peg. "Quick!" warned Larry.

Fatty nodded. Mr Goon's heavy breath could be heard quite clearly. Goon hitched up his belt and knocked pompously on the door. "Who is it!" growled a very harsh voice. "Which interfering pest has come here?"

Goon, annoyed, replied back, his voice sounding very agitated. "It's Goon, the Law."

"Goon?" came the voice from inside. "That fat policeman? What is that blunderer doing here?"

By this time Goon was livid. "Now, none of your sauce! Open the door in the Name of The Law!"

Larry and Fatty were nearly in peals of laughter. Larry and Buster hid in a corner of the shed, so that it seemed only the mysterious "man" was in the room.

The "man" opened the door. Goon expected to see a very cheeky-looking Fatty and a scared group of children - instead he saw a red-faced, burly man, with a hideous mustache, an awful coat and hat, and a very fierce scowl. Goon was quite frightened. Not for a minute did he think that it could be Fatty in disguise.

"Where's that fat boy?" asked Goon, his voice shaking slightly.

"Fat boy? What fat boy?" said the "man". His scowl grew even more fierce. "You calling me fat, Goon?"

"Not you, sir," hurriedly said Goon. "I was talking of the fat boy who just entered the shed - you know, Frederick Trotteville."

"There's no Frederick Trotteville here!" shouted the man. "This is the Brown household, how dare you come and behave rudely to me of all people?! Get out!"

"Excuse me sir, but this is the Daykin house!" argued Goon, livid. "You are trespassing!"

"What?" said the man. "Me, trespassing in my own property? You policeman, you ought to be reported! And what's this about the Daykins? They've left ages ago! Now, out you get!"

With that, the "man" slammed the door at Goon's face, who was agitated beyond words. In fact, he was so furious that his face was purple, and his eyes red. Muttering, he went down the lane, and who should he meet at the front gate but Mr and Mrs Daykin, back from the church!

Society Member
Daisy

Re: Write a story!

Post by Daisy »

While a very angry Goon and a completely bewildered Mr & Mrs Daykin were confronting each other in the gateway, Daisy, who had been a few yards behind her parents, slipped past them and hurried down the path to the shed. She giggled as she heard her father in his most indignant tone tell the still fuming Goon that he must have gone mad. She daren't stop to listen to more in case her mother called her to change out of her Sunday clothes, so she hastened to the door of the shed and burst in.
She gave a little shriek as she saw her brother apparently wrestling with a scruffy man with a most peculiar mustache.
"It's OK." Larry said."I'm just helping Fatty to take off his latest disguise."
"Oh, is that anything to do with Mr Goon looking as if he's about to burst, and arguing with our parents at the front gate?" asked Daisy as she gazed in disgust at the filthy coat Fatty had now struggled out of.
"Probably." grinned Fatty. "Sit down and we'll tell you all about it."
"I'd better not sit," said Daisy "or I'll never hear the last of it if this coat gets dirty, and anyway, shouldn't we wait for the others? Pip was yawning his head off during the sermon, but I expect he and Bets will be here as soon as they can get changed. They don't have lunch until quite late on Sundays."
With this she slipped out of the shed and in at the back door to change into something more suitable for sitting in a dusty shed.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

It was not long until Daisy returned carrying with her a platter of home made fruit cake, some macaroons and a large jug of iced lemonade. "we may as well have a snack while we talk" she said, "Goon has gone he looked really dreadfully angry, our father gave him a real ticking off". "Hmm" said Fatty, "he'll hate us more than ever now".

They had barely begun on their snacks when Buster gave a volley of excited barks and scrabbled furiously at the shed door. They all leaped up thinking Mr Goon had returned but, to their relief, it was only Pip and Bets. "Come in, come in" grinned Larry, "you've missed all the fun". "Oh " cried Bets, "I'm so glad we missed that horrid Mr Goon, we saw him cycling away as we approached". "You're such a baby" said Pip disgustedly, "fancy being scared of old Goon". "Come and have a cake Bets" said Fatty kindly. He really was very fond of the little girl and she of him.

Soon they were all munching away. The shed was quite cosy with all five children there and Buster too. Fatty took out his notebook. He cleared his throat importantly. "We had better discuss what we discovered last night" he said. "We did'nt discover very much" grumbled Pip, "we still dont even know if this can properly be called a mystery or not". "Bets and I dont even know what happened yet" said Daisy indignantly, "do tell us you rotters". "Not much to tell at the moment" said Larry draining his lemonade glass noisily. "You know of course that old Mr jones from The Ivies was walking his dog the other night around ten o clock when he heard mysterious noises coming from that old empty house on Oak road"? "Well fatty, Pip and I went snooping around there last night to see if there was anything happening". "But there was'nt" sighed Fatty, "at least there were no noises, but we did find that all the weeds under one of the windows were all trampled down and that the window looked as though it had been forced open".

Bets listened to all this with rising excitement. She did so love hunting for clues and catching the criminals before that bumbling Mr Goon. Their good friend Inspector Jenks had been so pleased with them in the past. She could contain herself no longer; "Oh Fatty, Fatty is it a mystery" she burst out, "oh do say its a mystery". Fatty smiled at the excited little girl. "Well" he said slowly "it certainly is odd and there's nothing else going on these hols so far so yes, I think its a mystery. Now, we had better make some plans".
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

CHAPTER 2 IS IT A MYSTERY?
"I think we'd better recap so we all know everything"said Fatty.
"What does 'recap' mean?" asked Bets while Pip sighed heavily.
"Its short for recapitulation and means going over things again, usually to make things clearer."said Fatty kindly.
"How silly to use a great long word like that!" grumbled Bets
Fatty laughed - "That's why it's shortened!"
"Oh do get on with the mystery." said Larry impatiently. "We need to let the girls know what we found."
"Or didn't in this case." added Pip.
"OK, let's start when we overheard old Mr Jones telling the girl in the paper shop he'd heard strange noises coming from the empty house in Oak Rd."
"What sort of noises?" asked Daisy.
"That's just what we don't know." answered Fatty. "We just thought it would be a good idea to go and snoop round a bit while you two were at Lucy's party. It didn't do us much good though - just made us jolly tired today!"
"What shall we do next then?" asked Bets. "How can we find out what sort of noises they were?"

Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Mr Goon dismounted his bicycle and wheeled it into his little garden. He opened the door of his house and walked through to his parlour. He removed his helmet and mopped his forehead with a large hanky. He still could not believe what had happened. That odd fellow in the Daykin's shed, of course it was the Daykin's house, why, he must have been a burglar. Mr Goon turned crimson again as he remembered the scornful way larry's father had dismissed him; serve them right if they got burgled, let them call that fat boy for help if it happened. He, Goon would not be going back that way for a while that was for sure.

As Goon pictured Fatty a dreadful thought sprang to mind; surely not, oh no. Mr Goon groaned and sank into his armchair, he put his head in his hands, he saw it all now. "That toad" he groaned, "of course it was that horrible pest of a boy in one of his disguises, it must have been". The more poor Mr Goon thought about it the angrier he became. He strode through to the kitchen where his housekeeper was working. "Make me a cup of tea if you please Mrs Minns" he ordered loftily. Mrs Minns turned on him in fury; "tea you want is it" she demanded, "it would fit you better to buy me some new cleaning materials, its a disgrace what I have to work with here". Mr Goon hurriedly retraced his steps and entered his little office. He snorted indignantly, the sauce of the woman, cheeking him like that.

He eyed the reports on his desk and sighed. Nothing but routine boring matters. Here was a complaint from a farmer about a dead sheep, there a request from the chief inspector that he, Goon, keep an eye out for any of these forged five pound notes that had been circulating in other parts of the country. Then there was a report that that old fool Jones had heard noises from that empty house on Oak road. "Hah" snarled Mr Goon "that deaf old fool wouldnt know a noise if it bit him". He considered what to do. The dead sheep could wait and none of the forged fivers had yet turned up in Peterswood, furthermore Mr Goon doubted that any would show up. "I'd better go and see old Jones" he sighed and got up heavily. He might meet some of those kids on the way and then he could give them a piece of his mind. Mr Goon brightened at the thought. He donned his helmet and bicycle clips and, mounting his bicycle, sailed majestically down the road.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

While Mr Goon was thinking his pleasant thoughts the five children had departed to their various homes for their Sunday dinners. Pip and Bets discussed what they had heard as they hurried down the lane.
"Do you think Mr Jones really heard something?" asked Bets. "He's a bit deaf isn't he?"
"Oh, I think deaf people can often hear noises if they are loud or deep enough. A booming noise for instance could make a vibration which he could sense even if he couldn't hear it like we could." he replied, remembering a recent science lesson. "Lets see what the others think when we meet later on".

Society Member
Ming

Post by Ming »

The five children met soon enough in Fatty's shed. Fatty handed around glasses of lemonade and chocolate buns. "Delicious!" said Daisy.

"Now, let's get to discussing things," said Fatty. "Okay, we all know that Mr Jones lives in a small cottage next to a big empty house. Mr Jones is a bit deaf, so often mishears things."

Larry interrupted, "but he can hear noises that are loud enough, remember!"

"Thanks, Larry. I had forgotten that for a minute." Fatty continued, "now, for the past few days Mr Jones has been hearing strange noises, probably from the empty house."

"We can't be sure of that," pointed out Pip. "Mr Jones' hearing is not that sharp."

"So now we should find that out by interviewing Mr Jones again," said Daisy. "Let's go."

The Five clambered out of the shed.

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

As they walked down the road in an untidy group with Buster trotting round them, the children continued their discussion.
"Should we all go round to Mr Jones' cottage do you think?" asked Pip. "We usually split up when there's work like this to be done!"
"I suppose we shouldn't really," replied Fatty "but there isn't anything for anyone else to do yet."
"Let's just go for a Sunday afternoon stroll and see what we find when we get near Mr Jones's cottage" said Bets.
"Good idea!" said Fatty approvingly. "By the way, are you all OK to stay out a while longer? It must be getting near tea-time!"
"Trust you to be thinking of food again Fatty." said Larry with a grin. "Yes, we're OK. After a late Sunday lunch our next meal is a sort of high tea at 7, and Pip and Bets' household have a similar timetable, so we're OK for a while yet."
By this time the little group had turned the corner into the road where the empty house stood. To their great surprise and annoyance who should they see ahead of them but the familiar figure of Mr Goon in the act of leaning his bike against the wall of the cottage which the children guessed must be Mr Jones's.
Fatty groaned and tried to back out of sight but Buster had no intention of being so sensible! With a delighted bark he gathered speed and raced towards Mr Goon and his ankles.

Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Mr Goon roared as Buster sank his teeth into his thick blue police trousers. "Clear orf you pest of a dog, Clear orf I say" he yelled, dancing around on one leg while trying to kick Buster with the other. Fatty rushed up , the others close behind. "Buster heel" he yelled, "come here immediatley sir". Buster reluctantly left Goons ankles and trotted away, Bets quickly grabbed him and held his collar. Mr Goon advanced on Fatty, his face crimson with rage. "That there dog" he spluttered, "That there dog I'll have it destroyed some day so I will, a right down nasty brute it is". "Oh dear I am so sorry Mr Goon" began Fatty in his most unctous voice, the one Goon hated, "you see Buster has this thing about blue trousers and, well, you see he just..." "Gah" said Goon rudely. he turned to go into Mr Jones'cottage and then a thought struck him. "What are you lot doing here anyway" he demanded suspiciously. "I hope you're not interferin' with the law again, poking your noses into what does'nt concern you because if you are I'll be straight round to your parents, Ho yes I will".

Pip and Bets glanced at each other nervously, their parents were strict and a visit from Goon could have nasty repercussions. "We're just visiting old Mr Jones" said Larry politely. "Yes we heard that he had a terrible shock the other night" added Daisy. Goon snorted, "Just you all stay well away from here" he said as he turned away, "if there's any mystery here which i doubt then its a job for the police and not a set of interfering toads like you, Clear orf now do you hear"?

Fatty had gone very quiet, Bets looked at him anxiously, was he alright? He seemed to be staring intently at a bush which grew at the edge of Mr Jones' garden, next to the wall which adjoined the empty house next door. He shook himself back to reality and turned to the others. "Lets go" he said, "theres nothing here for us".

The children walked away silently. "Fatty what"... began Pip but Fatty immediately gave him a warning glare so he shut up. They walked on around the corner where Fatty came to a sudden stop. "What is it" said Pip impatiently. "Keep going all of you" said Fatty in an excited voice, "I spotted something on the ground behind a bush in Jones' garden and I need to sneak back and get it before old clear-orf starts searching the garden". "Take Buster for me and go to the dairy, I'll meet you there in twenty minutes".

The others raced off to the dairy. Good old Fatty he could always be relied on to come up with something.

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Fatty walked back to the corner and peered round cautiously. There was Clear-orf's bike still leaning against the wall by Mr Jones's gate.
"Bother" said Fatty to himself, "Now what do I do?"

He thought for a minute and then, with a small grin, advanced quietly towards the gate. As he came closer he heard Mr Goon shouting at the top of his voice..
"I said, what sort of noises have you heard?"
Another voice came floating out in matching volume.
"I told you, I can't hear very well. All I know is some noises came from next door the other night. The house is supposed to be empty so I was scared. I told that nice young lady in the paper shop about it. Very sympathetic she was. Said you can hear all sorts of things when its dark and you live alone so....."
Mr Goon broke in with a snort and bellowed, " I don't want to hear what the girl said, just what sort of noise was it?"

Fatty was torn between waiting to hear the answer and carrying out his plan. He decided that it would be more sensible to get on with it, so very quietly - although he thought the two men wouldn't notice a thunder clap at that moment! - he moved to the gate and wheeled Mr Goon's bike swiftly into the pathway leading next door. Quickly bending down, he snatched up the object which had caught his attention earlier.

Society Member
Ming

Post by Ming »

Grinning hugely to himself, and wondering what on earth Goon would say, Fatty made his way back to his shed, where all the Find-Outer's were waiting for him. His eyes gleamed. He had a precious clue in his hands!!

Fatty opened the door and got in to find the others waiting patiently for him. Daisy had got out some chocolates from Fatty's store, and everyone was nibbling at them.

"Guess what!" declared Fatty. "Guess what I found!"
"Eunice!" giggled Bets.

Fatty glared at her while Pip thumped her on the back. Fatty couldn't stand Eunice, and her high and mighty ways, and Pip was pleased to see Fatty glaring.

Fatty said in an annoyed voice. "If that's the way you're gonna talk when I've found a glue..."

"A glue!" shouted the others, amused at Fatty's mistake.

"Okay, let's get on with this now. Let's not waste any more time," said Larry.

Fatty continued. "Okay, here it is. Hold your breath, people!"

It was one of MR GOON'S SHOES!

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

At least that's what the children thought at first, then a doubt crept into their minds.
"Whose shoe do you think it is Fatty? asked Daisy, gazing at the large black lace-up in Fatty's hand.
"It looks like old Clear-orf's size, doesn't it?" said Bets.
Fatty stood looking at them all while he got his breath back.
"By the way," he said, "I thought I said go to the dairy and wait there, but as I came past it seemed deserted so I thought you'd be here instead."
"Fatty," said Larry in a kindly, slightly condescending voice, " That's twice already you appear to have forgotten what day of the week it is. The cafe is never open on a Sunday, as you should very well know!"
Fatty looked rather sheepishly at them all. "Good gracious, at this rate I'd better resign from being the leader," he said.
"Of course you shouldn't" Bets rushed in, quick to defend him as always. "Anyone could make a mistake like that! We realised it would be shut so came on here. I hope you don't mind us helping ourselves to the chocs?"
"Don't be silly, of course I don't, they're there to be eaten after all!" said Fatty, glad of the change of subject. "Let's get back to the problem in hand - well, in my hand anyway," he added with a grin. "Whose shoe is this and why is it in the front garden of the empty house?"
They all stared at the shoe as if expecting it to explain itself to them.
"Goodness knows,- it's a mystery!" said Pip and then he grinned as he realised what he'd said.
Larry gave him a friendly punch on the arm. "It's just what we wanted then, isn't it?" he replied with a laugh, "A good mystery".

Society Member