Jules Verne - Swiss Family Robinson

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
GloomyGraham

Jules Verne - Swiss Family Robinson

Post by GloomyGraham »

No - you read it correctly....

Was making a start to some (well overdue) spring cleaning in the garage today and stumbled across a few items I hadn't seen for years.

One was a book "Their Island Home" by Jules Verne - a sequel to 'Swiss Family Robinson' *by Johan Wyss). There was also a further sequel by Verne - "Castaways of the Flag", which must be in some other box in my garage.

I remember reading them as a kid but never saw them in second-hand bookshops for the next 30 years. I ended up getting them from American second-hand stores in the early 2000s, but can't remember what I thought when I re-read them after purchase.

Anyone else read/remember/own these fairly rare sequels?
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Jules Verne - Swiss Family Robinson

Post by Courtenay »

I do remember the original Swiss Family Robinson story — Mum and I read it together when I was 9 or 10 or so and I recall us laughing a lot at how just about every kind of creature and landscape imaginable seemed to be found on this one island — but I had no idea there were any sequels, let alone ones by Jules Verne! Very interesting!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

Courtenay wrote:I recall us laughing a lot at how just about every kind of creature and landscape imaginable seemed to be found on this one island
Ha-ha. Yes. Lions and Kangaroos running around together.

If it was a Swiss Family Blyton they wouldn't have needed to worry about food - they would have come across a cave full of tins and an opener ;)
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

GloomyGraham wrote: If it was a Swiss Family Blyton they wouldn't have needed to worry about food - they would have come across a cave full of tins and an opener ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Naturally!

Mind you, Enid's first-ever novel-length adventure story, The Secret Island, does feature a group of children living by themselves on an island... I haven't read it myself (though I'd love to), but from what I've heard, I don't think they find such a convenient cave of supplies while they're there. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

They do find a cave though! :lol:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

True. 8)
Society Member

GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

haha - that just reminded me that the Robinsons swam a cow from the shipwreck to the island and in the Secret Island they swam a cow over the lake to the island