Winston Graham - Poldark etc.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Winston Graham - Poldark etc.

Post by Courtenay »

I'm a bit of a latecomer to the Poldark craze that's been sweeping Britain over the last couple of years since the new TV version began; I mostly ignored it until I had a couple of holidays in Cornwall last year and found the Duchy absolutely awash with Poldark merchandise in all the souvenir shops and other tourist traps. I did start reading the first book in the original series of novels by Winston Graham, twice in fact, but couldn't get into it.

I was still curious, though, as to what all the hype is about, so last month I dived in and bought the DVDs and started watching the recent adaptation from the start. Still wasn't so sure what I thought after one episode, but by the end of the second I wanted to know more, by the end of the third I was captivated, and from there on in I was hooked. (And no, not just because of the good-looking chap who plays Ross. :mrgreen: ) It's a story that sounds fairly boring in the blurbs, but in actuality, it's full of drama and intrigue and larger-than-life characters — set in almost the same era as Jane Austen (slightly earlier than when she was writing), but with a lot more claws and teeth, so to speak. I'm now just raring to go on with series 3, which is supposed to be on telly some time this spring... :wink:

In the meantime, I've just today restarted the first book, and after the slightly slow opening, I'm finding it much more readable and enjoyable — Winston Graham has a great writing style with beautiful descriptions and characterisations and frequent flashes of humour. And of course it helps that I already "know" the characters and the story from the TV series, which is said to be very faithful to the books (apparently the 1970s TV version was less so) and of course includes plenty of stunning scenery from Cornwall.

Any other fans here? :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Winston Graham - Poldark etc.

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've never read the books but I watched the latest TV adaptation and enjoyed it very much. Plenty of drama, a great mixture of characters and a gorgeous setting. I'm looking forward to the next series.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Sadly I'm not a fan of Poldark, nor did I watch the first series back in the days of Robin Ellis as Poldark.

I know plenty of people down here who go and watch the series being made, and I've photos of the leading man as Poldark on his horse on the beach. Which looks funny in a way, as being a few hundred yards away are the camera's etc.

The scenery is of course stunning, but that is Cornwall, it's a beautiful place to live in, especially in the winter months when the sea is crashing onto the rocks and the spray is lifting 30 feet and more in the air. The scenery one never tires of, winter and summer. It's heaven on earth, and even my Cornish neighbours and friends say I'm now a Cornish lady having lived here for more than 25 years! :lol: :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It should be noted that although Cornwall is the main area of production, other counties are used as well. Truro, where many scenes have been shot is in fact Corsham in Wiltshire. This website has an interesting slide-feature where you can see before and after pictures of the town. Trenwith, the Poldark family home is Chavenage House in Gloucestershire. Clovelly, Devon, also featured strongly as a fishing village in Cornwall!
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, I've got the official "making of" book from the TV series as well as a few brochures and websites that give the filming locations, so I was aware eighteenth-century "Truro" is actually in Wiltshire. :wink: I hadn't seen that Mail article with the before-and-after photos of Corsham, though — thanks for that, Nigel. Quite fascinating to see the transformations!

Most of the outdoor scenes were shot in Cornwall at various locations around the coast and on Bodmin Moor — I picked up a brochure with a map showing the filming locations. Somewhat amusing to see that the exterior scenes of Nampara, Ross's home, were filmed on Bodmin Moor, while "Hendrawna", the beach that's part of his land, was Porthcothan near Padstow, but supposedly neighbouring "Nampara Cove" was Porthcurno near Land's End! :lol: But that's the magic of film editing, I suppose — when it's all put together, you'd have no idea that the actual locations are actually dozens or even hundreds of miles apart.
Julie2owlsdene wrote: The scenery is of course stunning, but that is Cornwall, it's a beautiful place to live in, especially in the winter months when the sea is crashing onto the rocks and the spray is lifting 30 feet and more in the air. The scenery one never tires of, winter and summer. It's heaven on earth...
Couldn't agree more, although I live a bit far away from it to be able to visit as often as I'd like! 8)

Must get back to the first book (Ross Poldark) — Ross has just rescued an urchin girl called Demelza... :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

The editing is always amusing when you know these places. It's the same with Doc Martin (sorry off topic I know). From his home on the cliff side, you see the cars going up the hill from his property. That's a dead end and leads only to the cliff top! :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member