Dick Bruna - Miffy

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Dick Bruna - Miffy

Post by Rob Houghton »

I noticed the Dutch artist Dick Bruna, who created Miffy the Rabbit in the 1950's died today. I don't remember reading any Miffy books as a child, but the illustrations are definitely a part of my childhood - iconic!

'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Dick Bruna - Miffy

Post by Courtenay »

Ah, I'm sorry to hear this news. We used to borrow some of the Miffy books from the library when I was little and I always loved the bold style of the pictures and the simple but engaging stories. Actually, the book I remember the most fondly was one from another series by Dick Bruna, Poppy Pig's Garden, which we owned and which Mum and I liked to read together. Poppy Pig always reminded me a little of Babi, my grandmother (Mum's mother), who was also comfortably plump and kindly and loved gardening! :wink:

Here's a news report and an obituary for Dick Bruna — I'm sure his creations will continue to delight many, many more children and adults for many years to come. R.I.P.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

RIP Dick Bruna.

My sister and I used to borrow Miffy books from the library too, Courtenay. When my children were little they had a couple of the books. One was Miffy's House and my daughter was fascinated by the minimalistic look of the rooms. I also had a Miffy-themed changing mat for my son when he was a baby.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

Nowadays people confuse Miffy with Hello Kitty. I am sure there must have been some influence there.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Dick Bruna himself certainly reckoned so:
Miffy creator Dick Bruna: 'Hello Kitty is a copy of Miffy. I don't like that at all'

The only other time in our conversation when Bruna's brow clouds over is when we discuss Hello Kitty, the Japanese cartoon beloved of cute-obsessed schoolgirls and lovers of kitsch throughout the world. 'That,' he says darkly, 'is a copy [of Miffy], I think. I don't like that at all. I always think, "No, don't do that. Try to make something that you think of yourself".' After all, he adds - mood already lifting - 'there's so many nice things.'
(A really interesting article all through, by the way — it's an interview with Bruna from 2008.)

And in 2010, a Dutch court indeed ruled that one of the Hello Kitty characters, Cathy the rabbit, was a breach of copyright because of her similarity to Miffy: Miffy biffs Cathy in Kitty copycat case
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

The Book People are currently selling a collection of 10 Miffy books with a soft toy but the website says the books have a new text by award-winning poet Tony Mitton. Not only Enid's books suffer from updating it seems.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I love how everything is advertsied as 'award winning' these days - I think the author of the adult famous fives was described in the same way...wonder if they just won an award at Primary school or something...? ;-)

Its sort of similar to 'fake news'...the media - or in this case the publishers - tell the public something and the public accept it like sheep and go and buy it, lol! :-(
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Gosh, what on earth was wrong with the original text of the Miffy books? :shock: I doubt they could be made any more appealing and enjoyable for young children (and the not-so-young!) than they already undoubtedly were. All right, the text we have in English (and some 40 other languages) is a translation of the original Dutch, but considering how they've sold for the past 60 years, I can't imagine there could be anything all that wrong with it. Or maybe someone's just trying to make money... :x
Society Member

joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

Dick sure put a lot of fun and light-heartedness in children's lives with Miffy and I do feel quite sad reading of his death.