Richard Adams - Watership Down etc.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
hope189
Favourite book/series: Five findouters and dog
Favourite character: George and Fatty

Re: Watership Down

Post by hope189 »

Thanks, Philip. I'll check them out as soon as I can.
"Hope springs eternal in the human breast"
-Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

Another book you might enjoy is The Forest by Sonia Hartnett. It is about a group of feral cats in the Australian bush - sounds terrible but is actually really interesting and thought provoking. Possibly a bit like Watership Down in some ways.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I borrowed some of Felix Salten's books from the library as a child (Bambi, Bambi's Children and Fifteen Rabbits.) Thought-provoking stories which would probably appeal to people who like Watership Down. The books were originally written in German but I found the English translations exquisite.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
janey
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, malory Towers, LOTR, Doctor Who,
Favourite character: George and Pippin from LOTR

Post by janey »

Amazing book and film and i am a member of the Bright Eyes brings me to tears club actually i sob lol ( also the song from Dumbo baby mine has the same effect :roll:

im sure i saw plague dogs at school film day one saturday when i was about 9
i think it was plague dogs im not sure so if anyone wants to correct me :) but i remember being extremly upset and scarred by dogs getting run over on the train tracks :(
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.- Bilbo Baggins
poddys
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by poddys »

If rabid dogs freak you out, don't watch a movie called "Cujo".
It has some pretty scary scenes.

I loved Watership Down. It's probably the only book (asied from Enid's) that I read and then went straight back and read again.
I went on some great adventures reading the Famous Five books.
Enid Blyton Creator of The Famous Five
mynameisdumbnuts
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Famous Five, Adventure series
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Darrell Rivers, Bets Hilton

Post by mynameisdumbnuts »

It's a great book. My favourite characters are Bigwig and Hazel.
"Lucy, you want more backbone -– you've got your wishbone where your backbone ought to be!" -- "House-at-the-Corner"
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Richard Adams - Watership Down etc.

Post by Courtenay »

Just realised we don't already have a thread dedicated to Richard Adams — the news has just come through that he passed away today, at the very respectable age of 96. Here's his obituary from the BBC.

Watership Down has been a huge favourite of mine ever since I first read it at the age of 7 or 8 — it's one of those books that has always stayed with me. I also read and very much enjoyed The Plague Dogs when I was 16 — another animal story, but this time a darkly funny satire about the cruelties of lab experiments and the power of the press.

R.I.P. Mr Adams and thank you so much for listening to your daughters when they begged you to write down their rabbit story that you made up for them in the car!

We had a topic that was just called 'Watership Down' so I've merged the two threads.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Richard Adams - Watership Down etc.

Post by Lucky Star »

RIP Mr Adams.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

RIP Richard Adams.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

RIP Richard Adams. I read Watership Down and Shardik as a teenager (after having seen the cartoon film of Watership Down as a child). Very interesting to view the world from such unusual and imaginative perspectives.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Thanks for the thread merger, Anita — I obviously didn't look far enough when I went searching for an existing Richard Adams thread. :wink:

I've never read Shardik — I did have a copy when I was in my late teens, but my dad warned me it was a bit "brutal" and that put me off. :shock: Funnily, though, I was never disturbed (let alone terrified) by Watership Down as a child, either the book or the animated film. I enjoyed the film but have always preferred the book — the film leaves a lot out and doesn't quite capture all the depth of the original story.

Here's an interesting interview with Adams from a couple of years ago that I found just now: Richard Adams on Watership Down: "Perhaps I made it too dark" I don't think he did at all, but that's just me.

I gave in to temptation earlier this year and bought the new illustrated edition of Watership Down. I must admit the illustrations are a little odd — the rabbits in some of them are a bit awkward-looking and not quite naturalistic — but the colours are beautiful and they're lovely to look at. Here's one of the best of them, where Hazel, Bigwig and Silver meet Kehaar the seagull:

Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks for the link to the interview, Courtenay. I first watched Watership Down when I was eight and all those gruesome gashes that the rabbits suffered did stay in the mind a bit. However, I loved the film and was struck mainly by the beauty and wistfulness of the story and animation.

That's a lovely picture from the new illustrated edition.

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

RIP Richard Adams, I love both book and film of WATERSHIP DOWN and will no doubt revisit both in the not too distant...
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Just thought I'd post here again with a few more bits that other fans of the book might find interesting... :wink:

Not long ago, I bought another illustrated edition of Watership Down, this one published in 1976. The illustrations are a lot more naturalistic, I must say, than the more recent illustrated edition I posted about before — they're line drawings, some of them coloured, and really quite beautiful, I think. Here's the cover:

I should throw in a mention of the excellent second hand bookshop where I found it, in the charming East Sussex village of Robertsbridge! :D (Didn't see many Blytons there, but I wasn't really looking at the children's books. The lady who owns the shop is lovely, though, and I would highly recommend a visit if anyone's in the area.)

This particular edition also has a large pull-out version of the map, in colour, showing all the locations in the story. I was always aware, even when first reading it as a child in Australia, that all the places mentioned in Watership Down are real (Richard Adams says so in the note at the start), but funnily enough, it's only just today that I took the trouble of looking them up in detail. I wish I'd done so a few years ago when I was living near Reading — I had no idea then that I was literally less than 15 miles from the real-life settings of one of my favourite books ever!

There are a few walking trails in the area, but the best-looking one I've found online is this one published in the Guardian some years ago, which is circular and includes Watership Down itself and Nuthanger Farm, as well as other sites of natural and historical interest in the area: The Watership Down warren, Ecchinswell, Hampshire

One of these days when I have a couple of days off and can spare the time, I might have to go on a little Watership Down holiday in northern Hampshire and see it for myself! There's even a Watership Down Inn in the area that has rooms for the night, so that looks like another literary holiday sorted once I'm ready... :D

Oh yes, and another thing I discovered while Googling — some rather obsessed fan has created a whole website with a course in learning Lapine, the rabbit language used in the book and its sequel, with detailed explanations of grammar and the two different forms of the language (colloquial and formal). This rather flies in the face of what Richard Adams himself tells us in the introduction to my newer edition (2014) of Watership Down — "There is no grammar or construction in the language. It is simply a motley collection of substantives, adjectives and verbs" — so I have absolutely no idea where the author of that site is getting all this Lapine from. But I have to admire his dedication, even if I don't quite share it... :shock: :wink:
Society Member

floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Reading back through this thread, I obviously missed a trick as I didn't realize a sequel, TALES OF WATERSHIP DOWN, existed, I'll have to acquire that! We stayed at a hotel in Hampshire, Elcott Park from memory, some time ago, where there were lovely views of Watership Down, no sign of any bunnies though! Courtenay, I'm glad the bookshop at Robertsbridge is still going, it was fairly local to us from Bexhill and I had many happy times browsing!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.