Altering Fairy Tales

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Katharine

Altering Fairy Tales

Post by Katharine »

Split from 'Crazy Writers'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38014161" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know whether to be pleased that it's not just Enid Blyton that gets mucked about with, or saddened that this sort of thing happens.
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: Altering Fairy Tales

Post by John Pickup »

I saw this on BBC Breakfast this morning and my initial thought was, why can't people leave things as they are? As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with the original story. Cinderella is a timeless classic. It saddens me.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Oh yes, saw that this morning. A well-meaning exercise, I'm sure, but... :roll: I grew up with traditional fairy tales like Cinderella etc., as did most of us, and they never gave me the impression that my proper role was to sit around helplessly waiting for a prince to rescue me! :shock: In fact, in the 1980s and '90s when I was little, there were already occasional send-ups and rewrites of traditional tales, but written mainly to make kids laugh along with them, not to suggest that the more familiar versions were somehow bad or wrong. I certainly knew very well that they were "just stories" and they didn't have to dictate how I behaved or thought of myself! 25 or 30 years later, do they really think kids can't understand that any more and have to be protected from these terrible outdated fairy tales that will otherwise mess with their minds? :? I can think of far, far worse influences out there when it comes to ruining girls' self-esteem and giving boys the wrong idea of how to treat the opposite sex... :evil:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

To be fair there are already countless versions of Cinderella. I mean the original has the Ugly Sisters cutting off their toes/heels to fit into the glass (or indeed fur) slippers.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Very true. We had an old edition (translated quite closely from the original German) of Grimm's Fairy Tales when I was little... Grimm is indeed the word. :shock: I'm not sure how far these well-meaning modern political correctifiers (is that a word? It is now) are aware that most traditional tales have already been heavily modified and sanitised over the centuries to suit changing tastes and ideas of what's suitable for children!!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Even as a child all those years ago, I wasn't quite sure whether Little Red Riding Hood's grandmother was locked in a cupboard to be freed at the end, gobbled up, or - I'm sure at least on one occasion - gobbled up but then freed at the end when a passing huntsman killed the wolf and cut open its stomach. It all depended on which version of the book I was reading!
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

Remember that the brothers Grimm themselves often did a bit of "cleanup" on these old folk tales. For example, they often changed cruel mothers to "stepmothers", because they thought this wouldn't be as horrific as a biological mother being cruel to their children.