Mary Shelley - Frankenstein

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Billy Farmer

Mary Shelley - Frankenstein

Post by Billy Farmer »

I wondered are there any members on this forum, who have read Frankenstein, I have got most of the Hammer Frankenstein films, and the following Documentary - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5030506/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which was part of a four part series (about four famous Books), presented by Professor Christopher Frayling.

On Sunday, I watched the following 1984 TV Movie version of Frankenstein - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087288/?re ... lmg_act_29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Mary Shelley - Frankenstein

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've read Frankenstein several times. As I once said in another thread, it's a rich and thoughtful story, gloriously Gothic, influenced by the Greek legend of Prometheus, Milton's Paradise Lost and the work of Erasmus Darwin. Mary Shelley had already been through a great deal of trauma and tragedy by the time she wrote Frankenstein at the age of about nineteen - including the death of her baby daughter - and she was to go through a lot more.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I read it a couple of years ago as my daughter had to read it for her GCSE English exam. I'm afraid I found it very heavy going and not something I'd want to read again. However I'm glad I can say that I've read it.
Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I have also read it and I think it's a very good book and thought-provoking. Although I haven't re-read it, I believe one time was enough to absorb this wonderful novel . It's truly fascinating how Mary Shelley portraits Frankestein. He is extremely intelligent the way he talks and reflects about various aspects of life. I really admire him.
While reading the book, I so wanted to become his friend!!
Apart from the 'way' he was made, I don't find anything scary in him, and yet again, I do not understand why he is classified as a scary character. In reality, he was more clever than many other people...
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

I've never read it. It's one of those where l'd rather watch a film adaptation than read the book itself!
I live in the County where DH Lawrence set his stories. I've tried reading some of his books but, like Katharine with Frankenstein, I found them heavy going. :(
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I've never read Frankenstein either - except for an abridged version as a teenager. I have read a few DH Lawrence books though, at college - most notably The Rainbow. He is hard going, I agree - the way he analyses absolutely everything drives me mad!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Absolutely spot on, Rob! He does analyses things too much. I've tried reading the Rainbow, Sons & Lovers & the Peacock. Lost the will to carry on after a few chapters. :(
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

It's on my to-read list on my Kindle, but I've never got round to reading it yet. Is it anything like the Karloff film? I only first saw that a few years ago, but thought it was extremely good. Essentially just as much science-fiction as it is horror, I like the fact its time period is (deliberately?) ambiguous. You're never quite sure whether it's contemporary, or set in Mary Shelley's time. Anyway, all this praise for a film; I really need to read the book!

One of my best friends is related to Mary Shelley, and even named her youngest son Byron!
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

You certainly have to read it Stephen!! I might say that the book is better than the film!! :D You'll enjoy it.

Talking of movies, has anyone watched Victor Frankestein?
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

I think you will find the book isn't much at all like the Karloff film. But the book is indeed as much science fiction as horror. Famously, Mary Shelley wrote the book as part of a competition with her friends to write ghost stories, but scholars often consider Frankenstein the first work of science fiction.