Jack the Ripper

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Billy Farmer

Jack the Ripper

Post by Billy Farmer »

I wondered are there any members on this forum, who have read any Books, about Jack the Ripper, I have got about 10 Books, relating to the subject, I have seen many Documentaries, about Jack the Ripper, and did a lot of research to try and find out, how many Documentaries, there have been about Jack the Ripper, current total - 43, I know that a Jack the Ripper Museum (which caused a lot of controversy), opened in the East End, of London, last year, the Jack the Ripper murders, have inspired a big industry - Books, Documentaries, Jack the Ripper Tours, Websites, films and TV series (most recently, Whitechapel and Ripper Street), there will always be great interest in Jack the Ripper.
Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Re: Jack the Ripper

Post by Machupicchu14 »

You do know that a lot about Jack the Reaper!!! :shock:
Well, I only know once thing, which is in one of my Sherlock Holmes books. It is said that A. Conan Doyle based his character of SH on his teacher which was very intelligent and loved solving crimes, ect. They say he did discover who Jack the Reaper was and sent a letter to Scotland Yard, soon after that the crimes stopped. That's basically all I can say and it's probable you already know about it. :oops:
Apart from that I know the basic stuff about him.
(If there is a museum, I must certainly go there!! :lol:!!)
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

Jack the Ripper is one of those subjects that attracts the "woo-woo" crowd. Many of the books on Jack the Ripper are "woo-woo" books.

But then I suppose I got interested in Jack the Ripper in my woo-woo phase!

Rationally, I really think it unlikely that ANY of the traditional suspects were Jack the Ripper. Instead he was probably someone quite obscure.
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

Doyle's professor Dr. Joseph Bell was the inspiration for Sherlock Holmes. Bell taught Doyle at the University of Edinburgh medical school.

It does look like Dr. Bell's opinion was sought in the Jack the Ripper investigation, but I haven't been able to verify the chronology, i.e. whether the murders stopped after he submitted his opinion. Even if they did, that could just be coincidence. An author named Diane Madsen seems to believe that Bell and Doyle discovered the identity of Jack the Ripper, and this is the basis of her (fictional) novel "The Conan Doyle Notes: The Secret of Jack the Ripper."
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

That's just the perfect explanation KEVP! :)
I have never really been very interested in Jack the Ripper at all, but it's no harm finding out some bits of information.

I think Jack the Reaper was a wealthy person and that's why his name was never said as not to put shame on his family, ect. Probably Scotland Yard knew about it.
(That's my opinion)
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Machupicchu14 wrote:You do know that a lot about Jack the Reaper!!! :shock:
Well, I only know once thing, which is in one of my Sherlock Holmes books. It is said that A. Conan Doyle based his character of SH on his teacher which was very intelligent and loved solving crimes, ect. They say he did discover who Jack the Reaper was and sent a letter to Scotland Yard, soon after that the crimes stopped. That's basically all I can say and it's probable you already know about it. :oops:
Apart from that I know the basic stuff about him.
(If there is a museum, I must certainly go there!! :lol:!!)
I do know a lot about Jack the Ripper, but there are probably a lot of people, who know much more than me, I haven't read even half of the Books, that have been published, about Jack the Ripper.

Here is a link to the Jack the Ripper Museum, website - https://www.jacktherippermuseum.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; a Museum, about which there has been much controversy, and many protests.

I have got a copy of the following Book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/London-Jack-Ri ... the+ripper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; a Book, which features, a lot of then and now Photographs.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

History such as Jack the Ripper will always be of an interest I think, especially as the mystery was unsolved. It's the same as the tragic story of Titanic. It interests so many people and has a special place in history.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I agree, Julie. If we knew the identity of Jack The Ripper there wouldn't be the continuing mystery into who he (or she) was.
Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

I'm a very proud member of the highly-ridiculed 'woo woo gang' and have been interested in Jack for quite a few years.
I've seen numerous documentaries about him, and read tons of books, articles, etc.

I don't really understand why intriguing things like this (and the people who are interested in them) are ridiculed, what's wrong with being fascinated by mysterious things? I absolutely love reading about things like Jack, the Bermuda Triangle, Loch Ness, ghosts, UFOs, all that kind of thing.

I have a home absolutely full of crystals, numerous tarot decks, a huge collection of homeopathic medicines, and tons of books about all the above subjects. :)

So I guess I would qualify as a woo-woo of the highest order. :D

Its a real shame that all these subjects are ridiculed so much, other interests don't seem to come in for the same amount of deriding. I know the anti-woo-woos will say 'but its not real' (how do you know?! ;) ) - well lots of things aren't real but it doesn't mean that we can't be interested in them or enjoy reading/watching things.
Mermaids aren't real but they're fascinating to read stories about or look at pretty paintings.

Anyway, regarding mysteries like Jack, ghosts, UFOs etc, they're quite obviously real! :D
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Am I the only one who has no idea what the phrase "woo woo" is supposed to mean?

As regards the museum I recall there was some controversy when it opened with local women's groups being opposed to it. I meant to visit it then but forgot. I must go now that I have been reminded of it.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Sorry John, I should have clarified, woo-woo is a derogatory term for someone who is interested in things like psychics, ghosts, unexplained mysteries, complementary medicines, all the kinds of things that people laugh at or think are barmy. ;)
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

I once read a book by Michael Fido (a keen Ripperologist) about the identification of Jack the Ripper. He suggested that the most logical explanation for why the JTR murders suddenly stopped after the final victim (Mary Kelly) was found, is that whoever was responsible was incarcerated in a asylum shortly after. There is evidence of one such person being found wandering the Whitechapel streets in a dilerious, mad state. He was taken to a local asylum by the Police. The asylum staff gave him the name David Cohen. Cohen was a popular name they gave to someone who they couldn't identify! He was the only man incarcerated at that particular time in 1888. Soon after, the murders stopped. Had the notorious Ripper been caught? Other Ripperologists won't like a simple explanation like this because they want something more dramatic, rather than the mystery just fizzling out to a anticlimactic end! :roll:
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Interesting post, number 6, don't you mean Martin Fido, I have seen Martin Fido, in many Jack the Ripper Documentaries, Martin Fido, used to do Ripper Tours, in the East End of London.

David Cohen, just one of many names, put forward for the identity of Jack the Ripper, over the years.
Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Lucky Star wrote:As regards the museum I recall there was some controversy when it opened with local women's groups being opposed to it. I meant to visit it then but forgot. I must go now that I have been reminded of it.
There was a lot of controversy about the Jack the Ripper Museum, when it was opened, because it was originally, meant to be, a Museum, which celebrated the women of the East End of London, there have been protests, about the Jack the Ripper Museum, ever since (you only have to look up, Jack the Ripper Museum, on YouTube).

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... eum+london" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Billy Farmer on 21 Sep 2016, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Billy Farmer wrote:Interesting post, number 6, don't you mean Martin Fido, I have seen Martin Fido, in many Jack the Ripper Documentaries, Martin Fido, used to do Ripper Tours, in the East End of London.

David Cohen, just one of many names, put forward for the identity of Jack the Ripper, over the years.
Yes, Billy, you're right. It's Martin, not Michael.