The 50 Books Every Child Should Read

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: The 50 Books Every Child Should Read

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I must have read Fox in Socks out loud a couple of hundred times! It was enormously popular with my daughter, my son and even my daughter's friend who frequently came round to play! Having said that, it's one of the zaniest Seuss books and I can see why most people might have chosen one with more of a straightforward story and message.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

It might not have much literary merit, but it's a good fun read (especially when its being read to you !!). :lol:

On second thoughts, maybe it didn't reach the list because too many parents were sick of reading it out hundreds of times! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

I have read only 14 of these books - all of them written a long time ago. Roald Dahl was not an author I read as a child - he did not figure in the fifties. Most of the books I read were written by Richmal Crompton , W E Johns (Biggles, Worrals, Gimlet and the Science Fiction books), Enid Blyton and Frank Richards with the occasional classic by H G Wells ('War of the Worlds', 'The Time Machine', 'The Invisible man', 'The Island of Doctor Moreau'), Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes, 'The Lost World', The Brigadier Gerard books, 'The White Company'), R L Stevenson (Treasure Island, The Black Arrow, Kidnapped) and the wonderful 'The Coral Island' by Ballantyne. I also enjoyed the stirring historical tales by Henty, 'Round the World in 80 Days' , '20,000 Leagues under the Sea', 'Journey to the Centre of the earth' by Jules Verne. 'The Adventures of Tom Sawyer' was an easier and more enjoyable read than 'The Adventures of huckleberry Finn'. Not too many of these books on the list but I am sure some of you enjoyed them as well!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Robert Houghton wrote:It might not have much literary merit, but it's a good fun read (especially when its being read to you !!). :lol:

On second thoughts, maybe it didn't reach the list because too many parents were sick of reading it out hundreds of times! :lol:
Oh, I wasn't criticising Fox in Socks - I love it too! I think it does have literary merit in that it teaches children that language is immense fun and they can play with it and enjoy the sounds. The book challenges readers and listeners, stimulating and entertaining them.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member