Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Billy Farmer

Re: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Post by Billy Farmer »

Rob Houghton wrote:To me, Jeremy Brett is THE Sherlock Holmes. No one has ever come close to him, which I guess isn't surprising, as I believe the fictional character eventually took over all aspects of Jeremy's life! :-( No one can beat his excellent performance.
Jeremy Brett, was the best TV Holmes, but I like many other Sherlock's, including - Basil Rathbone (my favourite Movie Holmes), Ronald Howard, Peter Cushing, Douglas Wilmer, John Neville, Robert Stephens, Christopher Plummer, Ian Richardson, Nicholas Rowe and Benedict Cumberbatch.
Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

A very interesting Documentary, about The Hound of the Baskervilles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd7q0bsrz1k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Following a hospital appointment in London today, I decided to go for a walk in Regent's Park so I thought I'd stop and take a look at the Sherlock Holmes statue after having seen Billy's photo on the forums. The last couple of times I went to Regent's Park, I used a different entrance so I missed the statue. It was good to see it. There was a sign saying that people with mobile phones could "swipe" something to hear a monologue, but I was unable to do that.

I took a stroll along Marylebone Road and saw quite a few interesting things - the old Planetarium (now part of Madame Tussaud's, for which the queues were half a mile long!), the Royal College of Music, Harley Street, St. Marylebone Parish Church and some imposing houses behind a set of ornate black and gold gates which opened electronically (I was reminded of Five Get Into Trouble, though in fact these gates would have been quite easy to climb - not that I tried it!)

I noticed there was a free museum at the Royal College of Music, so I popped in. There was an exhibition on Yehudi Menuhin, a floor devoted to string instruments and another floor devoted to keyboard instruments. I was reading the labels on the top floor, wishing I could hear the various instruments, when a curator appeared and played some snatches of music on the clavichord and harpsichord - the latter was particularly lovely. She also demonstrated a piano which had six pedals, and another piano which had wooden shutters above the strings, that could be opened and closed to modify the sound. All very interesting.

After that I had a walk in Regent's Park, enjoying the gorgeous delphiniums which I remembered from a previous visit and watching the herons, coots and geese.

Getting back to Sherlock Holmes, does the Sherlock Holmes Memorabilia Company still exist, Billy? Is it the same as the Sherlock Holmes Museum? I've passed the Sherlock Holmes Museum a couple of times, but again the queues have been quite long.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Getting back to Sherlock Holmes, does the Sherlock Holmes Memorabilia Company still exist, Billy? Is it the same as the Sherlock Holmes Museum? I've passed the Sherlock Holmes Museum a couple of times, but again the queues have been quite long.
I can remember the Sherlock Holmes Memorabilia Company, closed down at one point, not sure whether it reopened, I can remember that the Sherlock Holmes Memorabilia Company, was on one side of Baker Street, and the Sherlock Holmes Museum, was on the other side, they were almost opposite each other.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: There was a sign saying that people with mobile phones could "swipe" something to hear a monologue, but I was unable to do that.
At first I thought you were going to say there was a sign forbidding you to try to catch a Pokemon creature by the statue! ;-) :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

A photograph (which I took, on April 1st 2014) of The Sherlock Holmes Pub and Restaurant, Northumberland Street, London.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for the further information, Billy.
Rob Houghton wrote:At first I thought you were going to say there was a sign forbidding you to try to catch a Pokemon creature by the statue! ;-) :lol:
:lol: I read about the Pokemon Go craze in the paper today!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Yesterday the DVD-set starring Jeremy Brett arrived. According to the description there are 4 episodes that were never aired in Germany, and some others were cut. I watched "A scandal in Bohemia", and there was a scene which wasn't dubbed in German. I haven't watched this series for more than 20 years, so I hardly remember the details of the production.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Yesterday, I received a copy of the following Book (which I bought on eBay).

I read quite a lot of the above Book (published in 1986), yesterday afternoon.

I can remember, when I was at School (my last School), the Headmaster, was a Sherlock Holmes fan (like me), and one day, in class, he played us a Sherlock Holmes story (can't remember which one), on a cassette, and afterwards, we were given ten questions (about the story), to answer.

At my last School, I can also remember listening to The Hound of the Baskervilles (on a cassette), one day, in class.
Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

You were very lucky Billy!! :D

The book looks wonderful. The cover is very nice. Enjoy it!! :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

I occasionally obtain Press Photographs, from eBay, and recently obtained 2 Sherlock Holmes Press Photographs (representing the Sherlock Holmes Granada series), I won the 2 Photographs, luckily no one else bidded, for the two Photographs, there are currently two more Press Photographs (representing the Sherlock Holmes Granada series), up for auction, on eBay, both of which end today, the price of one Press Photograph, has gone up and up - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sherlock-Holm ... SwB09YLkkM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I would never pay that much for a Press Photograph, just think how many DVD's, you could buy, which would total that price.

A perfect example, of the popularity of Sherlock Holmes, and Jeremy Brett (my favourite TV Holmes).
Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

A new Book, about the Sherlock Holmes Granada series, due to be published soon - http://www.fantomfilms.co.uk/books/keit ... ective.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

An Exciting Christmas Eve
An Exciting Christmas Eve subtitled or My Lecture on Dynamite is a short story written by Arthur Conan Doyle first published in The Boy's Own Paper magazine in December 1883.
Synopsis

After a successful, and inadvertently eventful, student career at Heidelberg, Herr Doctor Otto von Spee, expert in explosives, has settled down to a peaceful life as a private tutor and research scientist in Berlin. However, his peace is shattered one wild and tempestuous Christmas Eve when he is called out unwillingly on an emergency medical errand, which results in an impromptu lecture to a particularly dangerous audience...
It has often seemed to me to be a very strange and curious thing that danger and trouble should follow those who are most anxious to lead a quiet and uneventful life. I myself have been such a one, and I find on looking back that it was in those very periods of my existence which might have been most confidently reckoned on as peaceful that some unexpected adventure has befallen me, like the thunder-bolt from an unclouded sky which shook the nerves of old Horace. Possibly my experience differs from that of other men, and I may have been especially unfortunate. If so, there is the more reason why I should mourn over my exceptional lot, and record it for the benefit of those more happily circumstanced...

You can read or listen to the whole story here:

An Exciting Christmas Eve, or, My Lecture on Dynamite
https://www.doingsofdoyle.com/2020/12/9 ... cture.html

Or larger print html version here:
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks12/1200771h.html#ch-04
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member