1940s Children's Authors

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

1940s Children's Authors

Post by Francis »

I believe that the 1940s was a golden age for children's authors and their books. I am not an expert (of course!) but Enid produced most of her iconic series during this decade with some truly memorable books. Richmal Crompton wrote some excellent 'William' stories during the war and a new talent, Malcolm Saville, started his wonderful 'Lone Pine' series in the same period. Two older established authors hit new heights , Elinor Brent-Dyer - with her excellent examination of the effects of intolerance on her 'Chalet School' and Frank Richards learning at an advanced age to write his 'Greyfriars' tales in book form after the war finished. W. E. Johns wrote some of his best 'Biggles' books during this period and invented two new heroes, 'Gimlet' - a commando and quite radically a female flyer standing up against male attitudes - the indomitable 'Worrals' !

I am sure there are some I have missed and would love to read other people's comments!
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: 1940s Children's Authors

Post by John Pickup »

I agree entirely, Francis. As well as Enid's work I am a huge fan of the Billy Bunter and Lone Pine series of books and own quite a few which I return to regularly. Biggles, I am sure, was a staple read for boys of our generation. I believe that the 40's and 50's produced some of the greatest children's adventure stories ever written.
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

It's rather surprising - or perhaps it isn't - that the war period inspired so much wonderful escapism. Many did not want to read about the miseries of the immediate effects of the war but to be taken away from all that - Enid was the supreme producer of escapism for children. (Glad you like the Billy Bunter books, John - they are so well written).
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I used to enjoy Kathleen Fidler's Brydon Books. She also wrote six books about the Deans and a trilogy about Mr Simister - a criminal who escapes justice in the first 2 books but gets his come-uppance in the third. I also liked the books by Lorna Hill.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Having just read The Island of Adventure - published in 1944, while the war was still going - it strikes me that it's not absolutely pure escapism, in that it's not all fun and cheerful fantasy. There's a sense of loneliness and isolation, some very sinister criminals, and some scary plot twists and very real danger to the children's lives several times. I'm sure this is true of the other Adventure books as well, although the war isn't referenced directly in this one. However, there's a real sense of camaraderie and sticking together between the children, and (unusually for Enid) there's a trustworthy and protective adult who helps to make sure everything turns out all right in the end. I would guess that was part of Enid's intention in writing stories like this - to bring in some of the fearful and threatening elements that would be on children's minds, but also to inspire more courage and hope in them with the assurance that good will always eventually win through.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Francis

Post by Francis »

Bill Smugs is a very inspiring adult figure for children to read about - protective and dashing. I agree that Enid was exploring themes raised by the war particularly children lacking fathers and their need for an effective male figure although she didn't usually directly mention the war. Children didn't need to be reminded of the war as they lived in its' shadow all the time.

Interesting to hear about Kathleen Fidler, Daisy as she is somebody I have never come across.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I also enjoyed Kathleen Fidler's books as a youngster, Diasy. :) I haven't seen any of her books for many years. I must keep a lookout for some of them. Does anyone know if they have been reissued in recent times, as I daresay early editions are collectable and expensive? I must admit I'm not familiar with Lorna Hill or her books.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I don't think any of Kathleen Fidler's books have been reissued. I have almost all the many Brydon titles and all the Dean ones, most of which I have collected over the last 25 years. I occasionally see one in second hand book shops but not often. I didn't own any as a child but borrowed them from the library.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I also borrowed Kathleen Fidler books from the library. Oddly enough her books were plentiful in Brighton's public library, but Enid Blyton were very thin on the ground. As I said previously on a different thread, I had to borrow Blyton books from a small private library on a weekly basis at 2d per book.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Good topic, Francis. I've got quite a few old childrens books by various authors, but I can't access them at the moment. When I can, I'll post what I have. :)

8)
Last edited by Julie2owlsdene on 04 Sep 2014, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Sounds great, Julie. Just received Fell Farm Holiday, a 50's book, and very thin!
Last edited by Moonraker on 04 Sep 2014, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

I appreciate the situation that publishers were in at the time, but I do hate that wartime economy paper that they were forced to print books on. I know that I'm being unreasonable but it does detract from the appeal of the original copies.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
rosy_posy

Post by rosy_posy »

Oh, I quite like the wartime economy paper... it somehow brings back the atmosphere that was around in those days.

I love the Worrals books - she is just an awesome character! And I'm a great fan of Malcolm Saville too (although he does get a bit fixated on the girls' legs towards the end of the series :lol: ). Trying to think of other authors of the period who I've enjoyed, but I'm at work at the moment and haven't got my books to hand!
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

One of my favourite characters in the Billy Bunter books is Vernon-Smith, otherwise The Bounder. A true loner with a scheming mind. Didn't Lorna Hill write books about ballet and dancing? I seem to recall some of her work has been re-published by Girls Gone By.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

burlingtonbertram wrote:I appreciate the situation that publishers were in at the time, but I do hate that wartime economy paper that they were forced to print books on. I know that I'm being unreasonable but it does detract from the appeal of the original copies.
I love those copies. To me they are a very tangible reminder of the extreme times and dangers that people were living through back then. I am something of a World War 2 buff and they somehow bring home the reality of those times far more than any modern published history of the war does. Each to their own I suppose but I own several such books and am very fond of them.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member