Paddington Bear

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Petermax

Re: Paddington Bear

Post by Petermax »

Having just watched the trailer for the forthcoming Paddington film I am completely horrified. I just had to look away during the bathroom scene featuring those toothbrushes! :shock: As a child I was a big fan of the Paddington books and the television adaptation which stayed more or less true to Michael Bond's gentle stories.

A cinema adaptation should really have been set in the late 1950's, how much better Paddington station would have looked with some mighty ex G.W.R steam locomotives and chocolate and cream liveried coaches. :D

Film and television aimed at children nowadays seems so manic at times but it appears that they are used to constant action. I tried to introduce Camberwick Green and Trumpton DVD's to my nephew a while back but he found the pace to be far too slow.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I introduced my children to some programmes from the "olden days" :wink: and they enjoyed Bagpuss, Mr. Benn and Rainbow. They also liked watching Bod - but only in order to make fun of it!

I suddenly remembered that there was a cartoon Paddington Bear series when my daughter was little, broadcast in the late 90s-early 00s. She only watched it occasionally and it wasn't a particular favourite, even though she liked Michael Bond's books. I've just looked on YouTube and found the episode 'Paddington Goes Underground' from both the 1970s and 1990s TV series. It's interesting to compare them. The 1970s version contains a lot of humour because of the way things are phrased, and I expect the wording is pretty close to that of the original story (though no doubt shortened). The 1990s version has been embellished but isn't too bad, though the 90s Paddington isn't as endearing as the 70s Paddington.

1970s:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2cPr29BH9A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1990s:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ievdgYE84" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

There were actually three series all together. The second called simply "Paddington Bear" 1989 (shown in the UK in 1990) was made by Hanna-Barbera. The 1997 series "The Adventures of Paddington Bear" is the one that the "Paddington Goes Underground" episode comes from.
Interesting to note that in this last series, Paddington is voiced by Jonathan Kydd, the son of Sam Kydd.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That's interesting. I hadn't known about the 1989 series.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I do remember the 1990s Paddington series, but it never grabbed me. It's not bad, but the '70s one (which we had when I was little in the '80s) is, to me, just so much more like Paddington! :wink: The contrast between the paper sets, hand-drawn characters and the 3D Paddington Bear just adds to the fun of it, for me. I have a feeling the trend in children's shows now is to try to make everything look ultra-realistic, as if kids have no imagination and no sense of fun and make-believe any more. Unfortunately, it also seems "ultra-realistic" needs to include the gross-out factor as well. :(
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I watch several of the old Watch With Mother BBC films from the 50s (on YouTube) with our grandson, and he especially likes The Woodentops and The Flowerpot Men. He never mentions the strings or the grainy b&w pictures. Whilst reading Noddy together, he neither mentions Big Ears and Noddy sharing a bed or comments on golliwogs.
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I used to love The Woodentops. And Rag, Tag and Bobtail.
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Obviously you read to him only from uncensored editions, hmm, Nigel? :twisted: Trust you to be corrupting defenceless little children. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

If it was good enough for me..... :D
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Ye Gods....another Nigel. :shock: :D :D :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

He was getting out of the bath, the other night, and said to his father, "This is a bl***y struggle!" Simon remonstrated with him, and he replied, "Grandad Rowe says it."

Busted by a 4 year old. :oops:
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

:lol: :lol:

Maybe you should invest in one of those special walk in baths? :wink:
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

He'd only open the door when it was full of water. :|
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

And create a scene like the movie version of Paddington does?? :mrgreen:
Society Member

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Heaven forbid!
Society Member