Beatrix Potter

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Beatrix Potter

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I've been enjoying these radio broadcasts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... rtup_Duck/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ginger and Pickles is excellent - even if I have now learnt that Mrs T. liked it too!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
honesty
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin/Julian/Timmy

Beatrix Potter

Post by honesty »

Anyone know Beatrix Potter? Read her books and they are very nice. Just gives me a feeling of happiness inside.
Last edited by honesty on 31 May 2013, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
“If you can't look after something in your care, you have no right to keep it.”-Enid Blyton
“I think people make their own faces, as they grow.”-Enid Blyton
Soenke Rahn

Re: Beatrix Potter

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Not very know and popular in Germany, but in Enlgand I know. So this topic will be very interesting for me. :-)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Yes, the Beatrix Potter books are lovely - beautifully presented with the colourful illustrations. We've had some in the family since I was a child and I've given copies to my grandchildren too.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Lawrie
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Find-Outers, Malory Towers
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy, Alicia, Fatty and Bets

Post by Lawrie »

I was raised on Beatrix Potter - my granny used to take me to the library and let me choose a new one every week. I had two of my own - The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies and The Tale of Tom Kitten and I read them till they fell to pieces. I then read them to my children, who also had the dvds. They certainly extended your vocabulary - my daughter and I were using words like "soporific" and "affronted" long before we got to school! I think these are those rare books where the pictures and the text are equally good - the illustrations are really beautiful. My favourites as a child were The Tale of Two Bad Mice - I loved the mice in the dolls' house - and The Tale of Samuel Whiskers. I found this rather creepy and was intrigued by the thought of chimneys large enough for a cat to get up. We lived in a Victorian house and sometimes, in the summer, a bird would appear in the grate, but the chimney Tom gets stuck up seemed on a much grander scale. I suppose it was the type small boys were sent up, something I always remind my children of when they complain about having to wash the dishes or hoover :wink:.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I think I might have had one book as a child, can't remember what though. My daughter had the one about Jeremy Fisher, and possibly Squirrel Nutkin. I love the pictures - I have a biscuit tin, and the children had a cup and plate with Benjamin Bunny on. I can't say the books left much of an impression on me either way. It wasn't one of those that I thought 'oh no, I don't want to read that again', but I can't say I ever felt an impulse to pick them up to re-read either.

I have a copy of one of the books in French which I picked up somewhere. Not sure why really, just it was something different, and cheap. I also bought a biography about her quite recently, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

From what I can remember, the books are a lot better than most of the stories aimed at young children these days. I heard recently about a Nursery class studying a book called 'The Queen's Knickers' :roll:
Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Katharine wrote:I think I might have had one book as a child, can't remember what though. My daughter had the one about Jeremy Fisher, and possibly Squirrel Nutkin. I love the pictures - [...]
Sorry, I don`t know nothing of the books really. How important are the pictures for the pleasure? How important is the text? Is it in the near of a picture book? And another question are the rabbit books especially good for eastern to read? This would be interesting for me. :-) I hope my questions are not to boring. :-(
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

If you Google "Beatrix Potter" Soenke you should get some idea of what the books are like. The pictures are on every page opposite a page of writing, so are lovely for little children to enjoy. No, your questions are not at all boring.

Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Ah, thank you. :-) Now, I have an impression. Thought in the past it would be different, more like Blytons books. So the pcitures/illustrations never changed or enlarged I suppose. :-) Nice. :-)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Soenke Rahn wrote:
Katharine wrote:I think I might have had one book as a child, can't remember what though. My daughter had the one about Jeremy Fisher, and possibly Squirrel Nutkin. I love the pictures - [...]
And another question are the rabbit books especially good for eastern to read? This would be interesting for me. :-) I hope my questions are not to boring. :-(
No, your questions are not at all boring, but I'm afraid I can't really answer this one for you. As it's so long since I read any of the books, I can't really comment on whether they would be very easy for you to read. They were written as children's books, (I think), but the English language has changed a bit since they were written, so some parts may be difficult to understand. I shall have to read them again and let you know. :D
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

If you're a fan of Beatrix Potter, then you must visit Hill Top Farm (Nat.Trust) in Near Sawrey, Cumbria, Her home for many years. The Trust has left it as if Beatrix had just stepped out for a walk! It would be recognisable to her today, if she were alive! In every room in the house, you are surrounded by images that are reproduced as drawings in her books. The small Village will also be familiar to Beatrix fans, as it appears in her books as well! Great day out, but please visit the National Trust website for opening times, etc, before travelling. :D
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Katharine wrote:
Soenke Rahn wrote:
And another question are the rabbit books especially good for eastern to read? This would be interesting for me. :-) I hope my questions are not to boring. :-(
No, your questions are not at all boring, but I'm afraid I can't really answer this one for you. As it's so long since I read any of the books, I can't really comment on whether they would be very easy for you to read. They were written as children's books, (I think), but the English language has changed a bit since they were written, so some parts may be difficult to understand. I shall have to read them again and let you know. :D
;-) :D if it is old English. Maybe I could read it. :D I like the Tyndale Bible. ... ;-) And there exits a German translation: http://www.amazon.de/Die-gesammelten-Ab ... rix+Potter But yes, why not in English. ;-) No, I mean are the Potter Books for a special season? :-) I will not read a book, which is a Easter book or X-mas book, in the summer time. ;-)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Sorry Soenke, I didn't understand your original question. I don't know if the books are suited to any particular seasons.
Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Katharine wrote:Sorry Soenke, I didn't understand your original question. I don't know if the books are suited to any particular seasons.
Ok. :-)
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

I don't think the books are particularly applicable to any season - some give the feeling it is early summer time with vegetables growing in gardens and fields. If there are any about Christmas I don't remember!

Society Member