Beatrix Potter

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Re: Beatrix Potter

Post by floragord »

Delightful to see a newly discovered Beatrix Potter book, KITTY BOOTS, is being illustrated by Quentin Blake, can't wait to see the finished product to join Jemima Puddleduck, Mrs Tiggywinkle and Peter Rabbit!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

floragord wrote:Delightful to see a newly discovered Beatrix Potter book, KITTY BOOTS, is being illustrated by Quentin Blake, can't wait to see the finished product to join Jemima Puddleduck, Mrs Tiggywinkle and Peter Rabbit!
Yes, I saw that too — here's a video interview with Quentin Blake from the BBC's website: Beatrix Potter's Tale of Kitty-in-Boots brought to life

Blake's style of illustration is very different from Beatrix Potter's — to say the least — and I know we've already had comments about it earlier in this thread, including ones of considerable disgust. However, I must say I don't mind it too much. Deep down I think I would have preferred they chose an illustrator a little more akin to Beatrix, but perhaps they quite deliberately went the other way. I always loved Blake's illustrations as a child and still do; I would question whether he was the right artist in this instance, but the more I look at his work for it (you can see quite a lot of it in the video), the more it grows on me. I'll be very interested to see the entire book when I can next get to a shop that has it. I may even buy it! :wink:
Last edited by Courtenay on 03 Sep 2016, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm torn, because there are some of the internal illustrations I really rather like (and I'm not usually a Quentin Blake fan at all) but I still feel it would have been nice to honour Beatrix Potter by at least putting her original one illustration for this story on the cover, and have Quentin Blake's illustrations inside. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I've seen The Tale of Kitty-in-Boots at a couple of shops now and taken the time to read it, and I must say it is actually really good! In fact, it's a remarkably quirky, fast-paced and sometimes even slightly violent tale that comes as a bit of a surprise in comparison with Beatrix Potter's better-known and more genteel offerings — guns and shooting (in uncontrolled fashion), steel traps, sinister poaching stoats, a guest appearance from Mr Tod the fox (as nasty as ever)... I'm wondering if the reason why Beatrix never had it published was that some scenes in it were considered unsuitable for very young children!! :shock: But it's a great story and improves on re-reading.

The main character — "Kitty" to her unsuspecting mistress but "Miss Catherine St Quintin" in her own opinion — could almost have been an early 20th century feminist icon; she definitely shows it's not only Beatrix Potter's male characters who get up to mischief. There are a few other cameos or name-drops of characters we know from elsewhere, including a surprising heroic role for Mrs Tiggy-Winkle!

As for Quentin Blake's illustrations... I could wish they were a little less scribbly, but they're full of character and they do grow on one. :mrgreen: It may even be better that they commissioned an illustrator with his own distinctive style rather than finding someone who would try to imitate Beatrix's. In a way, Blake's madcap style actually suits the rather madcap story better than refined and realistic artwork would!

All in all, a surprising and refreshing credit to both the author and illustrator — I may well end up buying it. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

These people that stand in bookshops and read whole books without buying them - tut! tut! ;-)

Sounds like a good read. Although I'm no fan of Quentin Blake, I might still consider going into a bookshop and reading it for myself. :-P
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Interesting! I'll check out the new story by Beatrix Potter.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:These people that stand in bookshops and read whole books without buying them - tut! tut! ;-)
It wasn't a bookshop — it was Tesco. :mrgreen: (All right, it actually was a bookshop the first time — the excellent Sevenoaks Bookshop in, well, Sevenoaks — but I only skim-read it then.)
Society Member

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I'm getting excited at the moment, as I've finally managed to find the time, unexpectedly, for a holiday up in the Lake District, where I've only been once briefly and have been longing to go again ever since. (Actually, it's been a dream of mine for much longer than I've even been in Britain — my mum, who is an Arthur Ransome addict, visited the Lakes when she was in England back in the 1970s and I've grown up hearing how beautiful it is up there and being told I must one day go to the English Lake District.)

I'll only be there four days this time, but I'm sure it won't be my last visit — and I'm already planning in particular to see Hill Top and the other significant Beatrix Potter locations, as I grew up on her books and am so thrilled to think I'll soon be seeing the real-life landscapes! I'm currently just reading the complete set of her little "Tales" (I have them in one volume), including plenty I'd never read before or had only encountered once or twice as a child and had forgotten the details of the story. They are such a complete delight!

(Incidentally, one thing I keep noticing is that there has been no attempt by the publishers to edit, update or censor Beatrix Potter — characters who were whipped or slapped still get whipped or slapped; occasional references to money are still in pounds, shillings and pence; and the toy policeman in The Tale of Ginger and Pickles is derogatorily referred to as "only a German doll", which certain other publishers would surely see as an ethnic slur even though it clearly wasn't meant to be. Beatrix is sacrosanct, after all, and rightly so. Why isn't Enid?! :shock: )

I'm also simultaneously reading The Story of Beatrix Potter, a biography published by the National Trust a couple of years ago — very well written with lots of excellent photos. I knew some of Beatrix's story already from having seen the film Miss Potter some years ago (awww, I cried during it even though I already knew what the really sad part was), but it's good to go into her life in a bit more depth. She was a truly remarkable woman and we largely have her to thank for the fact that so much of the Lake District has been preserved unspoiled for future generations, of course! I'll be there in less than two weeks' time and can't wait... :D
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

The Lakes is one of my favourite places in the UK. been lots of times, and we have been to most of the lakes - those that are more remote, like Buttermere and Crummock, being some of the most beautiful. Of course, we 've been to Wordsworth's Houses and also to Beatrix Potter's Hilltop - which is fascinating - especially since many of the rooms and areas of garden etc were used in her illustrations, which really brings the books to life! her illustrations are positioned around the house, so that the reality and illustration can both be compared. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Wordsworth country (especially Grasmere) is definitely on my list too! :D I may not have time to fit in everything I'd like to do, as I said, but it gives me an excuse to go again in future.
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Grasmere is great too! I love the room, papered with newspaper! :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Courtenay, parking is very limited at Hill Top and when Erika and I went, we crossed Windermere on the ferry as foot passengers and walked the rest of the way.
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Thanks for the tip, John. I'll be staying in Windermere town centre, the other side of the lake, and I gather the Windermere car ferry is not running at present, so I was already intending to take a foot passenger ferry and walk, as it'd be a very long way to drive otherwise.

Here's the National Trust brochure I found online last night — it shows some of the main Beatrix-related sites and where to get further info on transport.
Society Member

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hope you have a brilliant time, Courtenay. I love the Lake District and went there quite often as a child while visiting my grandparents in Preston - and also as a student in Manchester. Wonderful memories of picnics, lakeside walks, mountain hikes and Kendal Mint Cake!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Have a great holiday, Courtenay. Chick and I have enjoyed a number of holidays in the Lake District. It is a super area to visit. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member