Rupert Bear

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Rupert Bear

Post by Kate Mary »

The official Rupert Bear society 'The Followers of Rupert' has a smart new website:

http://www.rupertbear.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The old one was the dullest site I have ever clapped eyes on, not a patch on our glorious Enid Blyton Society website, but they have sharpened up their act it seems and produced a very attractive site. I am occasionally tempted to join but then I look at the eye-watering £28 per year subs and think again. What great value-for-money our modest £10 subscription is. The annual 'day' is a posh affair too with a Gala Dinner included.

One thing lacking from their site is a forum, perhaps they know they would overwhelmed with people telling them just how awful the recent annuals are, this year's edition being no exception.

Are any forumites or Enid Blyton Society members also members of the Followers?

Kate
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
poddys
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Rupert Bear

Post by poddys »

I haven't seen the site yet, nor have I seen the latest annuals etc, but when I was learning to read, the Rupert books/annuals were some of my favourites.
I went on some great adventures reading the Famous Five books.
Enid Blyton Creator of The Famous Five
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I had the 1973 Rupert Annual as a child and loved Alfred Bestall's illustrations. Some of the stories had eerie or creepy elements which made me shiver. I remember being spooked by Rupert coming across a gate in the middle of nowhere which was apparently not joined to a wall or fence of any kind, and frightened at Rupert and his friend Rastus Mouse accidentally getting locked in a big department store overnight. Yet there was also a cosy homeliness to the tales, with Mrs. Bear bustling about in her gingham apron and Rupert having so many cheerful, helpful friends in the community of Nutwood.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I had the 1970 and 1972 annuals as a child, and have since acquired a second hand version of both as an adult. My favourite story of all was Rupert and the Sky Boat where Rupert and Margot meet this sinister looking inventor who runs a factory that makes this mysterious "anti-gravity" material called Sky Metal. If a piece of Sky Metal isn't held down by a heavy enough object, it'll just fly straight up into the sky and get lost!
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I know this is the Enid Blyton Society, but I know that many of us have other similar interests, so I hope Tony won't mind me re-opening this thread.

I was really pleased with the Pop-Up Rupert book (Rupert and the Ruined Garden) that I bought yesterday. I've never seen one before. It was published by Purnell, who also published lots of Enid Blyton books in the 1970s.

Anyone else out there collect Rupert books in any shape or form?
Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

I have several Rupert annuals from the seventies/eighties, and some slightly bigger ones from the nineties onwards, which I prize as part of my overall collection of children's books. I don't tend to seek them out, but I like to pick them up when I come across them. I loved the Rupert Bear annuals as a child - I thought them magical, exotic, humorous and full of the quaintest people. They're beautifully illustrated too.

I've never seen a pop-up Rupert book, so I'll keep an eye out for one.
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I saw a batch of about eight early Rupert Annuals, in a Charity Shop today, for £40. I don't know of if this was a good deal? I agree that the illustrations are lovely, but I've never really been interested in the stories themselves.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Rupert was the great love of my childhood and I collected the annuals from the early 1960s. I now have a full set (79 of them) but the wartime and pre-war ones are facsimiles from the 1980s. I don't usually pay a lot of money for second hand books but I must admit I paid well over £100 each for the 1946 and 1947 annuals. Sadly the annuals published in the last few years are a bit thin and mostly contain reprinted stories.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

As a child growing up in the mid 60's,, I used to receive a Rupert the Bear annual every year. This ritual continued until I reached the age of 10. I kept my little mint collection in boxes in the attic for years on end & eventually gave them to a relative, Who promptly went about scribbling inside & defacing the covers!

As an adult, I came across the beautiful little cottage in Beddgelert in Snowdonia, North Wales, where Alfred Bestall once lived. A lot of Alfred's illustrations in the Rupert books were inspired by the surrounding area in & around Beddgelert. A great village to visit if you happen to find yourself in that part of Wales. :D
Last edited by number 6 on 27 Oct 2017, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

I have always liked Rupert Bear, and have managed to obtain all the 1970's Rupert Annuals, on eBay, in excellent or mint condition, I prefer the size of the 1970's Rupert Annuals, to the more recent Rupert Annuals.

Some episodes of the 1970's Rupert puppet series, can be seen on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od7TUPDcXB0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4ABZ9O5j9E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have always liked the theme song, by Jackie Lee - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY1aJ35sw98" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've always liked that theme song too - and the one Jackie Lee did for White Horses.

My sister and I had the Pepys Rupert playing cards when we were children, and I also had a Rupert money box made from fabric-covered plastic. It was a sad day when my mum made me throw it away because it had gone mouldy (I kept it on the window-sill and it suffered badly from the condensation).
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I loved the 1970's Rupert programme - and the theme tune. I also loved the added aspects, such as his flying chariot. I can remember seeing a Rupert the bear in an aeroplane, which fixed to the handle-bars of a bike, when I was little. The propeller went round as you rode your bike, and I thought it was amazing, and really wanted one - but unfortunately I never did get one. :-(

I did have a Rupert the Bear doll, however, with a plastic body and jointed arms and legs, which I loved! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

The 1982 Documentary (presented by Terry Jones), about Rupert Bear, can be seen on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vf9j_t2rlU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Daily Express, June 3rd 1971 - Rupert's Girl.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Brilliant! Imagine such a photo being included in a newspaper these days! There would be an outcry, lol! ;-)

Reading back through this thread, I was interested to see Anita mention a story in which Rupert was locked for a night in a big department store - yes - that was one of my favourite Rupert stories. It was quite frightening! I also remember a story where Rupert was carried away by an eagle because they thought his rugby ball was a bird's egg!

I have many Rupert books now, most from pre-1980 and a couple of facsimile ones, but my favourites are still those I had as a child, with well-remembered stories inside!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member