Louisa May Alcott

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
burlingtonbertram

Re: Louisa May Alcott

Post by burlingtonbertram »

snugglepot wrote:I remember reading Little Women when I was about eleven. My mother had bought me a whole series of so called classics to get me to read something other than Enid Blyton.
I remember really enjoying it and begging for the sequel so she bought me Good Wives.

SPOILERS.....

I started reading it hoping that Jo and Laurie would get together and when she turned down his proposal I cried in frustration. But remembering Anne and Gilbert from the Green Gables series (Mum had bought me some of those, too) I kept reading.
Beth's death devastated me! Why couldn't it have been Amy? I loathed and detested Amy's character from the moment she had burnt Jo's papers and wished she had drowned when she fell in that hole in the ice.
When I came to the page where it was revealed that Amy had married Laurie I, literally, threw the book across the room! After that I refused to finish it and was devastated.
It wasn't until the 1940s version came on TV about a year later and I sat down to watch it, not knowing it included Good Wives as well, that I was able to see how the book ended.
I actually enjoyed the character of the Professor and his relationship with Jo, and Elizabeth Taylor made it hard to hate Amy as much as the book had.
After that I went back and finished Good Wives. I didn't enjoy it as much as Little Women but it was bearable. I even bought Little Men and Jo's Boys. I loved the former and detested the latter. I found the repetition of the Jo/Laurie situation with two of the next generation characters very frustrating.
I wasn't too bothered about Beth; she was just another casualty of that hidden killer of the 18th & 19th C: soppiness! Here's a few examples of the top of my head:

- Little Nell (Old Curiosity Shop)
- Arthur (Tom Brown's Schooldays)
- Clarissa Harlowe (by Samuel Richardson)
- 2 of Frances Burney's eponymous heroines; the other just went mad for a bit
- the boy in Our Mutual Friend who was to be adopted (John?)

All died of being too soppy. Amelia Osborne in Vanity Fair was a near miss; she pulled through.

The bit I didn't like as a kid was Jo marrying Professor Bauer; wholly inappropriate and not what the readers wanted at all.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

burlingtonbertram wrote: I wasn't too bothered about Beth; she was just another casualty of that hidden killer of the 18th & 19th C: soppiness!
You're right... I suspect (at least in the world of literature) it claimed more lives than consumption. :shock:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
snugglepot
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Faraway Tree, Barney Books
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by snugglepot »

I'm glad I am not alone in my dislike of Amy and my desire for Jo to marry Laurie. I always used to feel I was the only one who felt so devastated when Laurie married the "nasty" Amy.
Interestingly, when I watched the modern movie version with Winona Rider, I hated both Laurie and the Professor. I especially hated that foreshadowing scene of Laurie with young Amy in the carriage.
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

No, you are not on your own. Rather cynically though I would say that Laurie had a typical male reaction "Right, she's dumped me; I'm going to pull her sister". In real life, family parties would have been real flash-points after that marriage...

In that film version, the Professor didn't seem old enough somehow. Funny how you get these perceptions as a child.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

It's a long time since I read any of the books but I do recall feeling disappointed that Jo and Laurie didn't make it as a couple. I too disliked Amy very much. Beth's death was tragic, but sadly quite a common occurrence in those days - my father lost his mother and four of his seven sisters to the disease.
I have read all four in the series but remember almost nothing of the last two. Maybe one day I should return to them.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Katharine

What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by Katharine »

Split from another topic.

I've just started reading Little Women. I did attempt it a while back, but couldn't really get into, however I decided to give it a go. Bit gloomy and very 'preachy' is my opinion so far.
Society Member
Daisy

Re: What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by Daisy »

It's years since I read it - I must give it another go sometime. I seem to remember quite enjoying it though.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I quite enjoyed Little Women when I was younger. I had an old copy, which had been my mom's in the 1950's. I liked the evocation of life in the Civil war era, but agree it was maybe a little preachy in places. However, I did find it enthralling, as it was based quite heavily on Louisa May Alcott's childhood, and Jo is based on her, so I felt that added an extra layer of interest. I also read Good Wives, which was also my mom's, followed by another Alcott book, An Old Fashioned Girl, which was quite good, and finally Little Men. :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'm not sure when my copy dates from, the 1960s or 70s I think, but I don't know if the text has been changed at all. It mentions an editor in the front, but possibly that is to do with the foreword, rather than the actual book.

I can't help wondering if Enid Blyton ever read it, as I keep making comparisons between Jo from Little Women and George from the Famous Five.

As I know practically nothing about the Civil War and life in America at that time, I'm hoping it won't be too difficult to follow.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think its fairly easy to follow, and the civil war is not really a major part of the book, except that Father is away fighting. I think its a nice homely story and paints a cosy picture of life at the time. I agree Jo is very like george. I think she even cuts all her hair off, if I remember rightly!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'm about half way through Little Women now. Normally I don't care much for tomboy types, but I'm finding that Jo is the best of the bunch so far. I know Amy is the youngest, but I don't like her at all. Just read the chapter where she burns Jo's book - what a spiteful thing to do, just because her sisters didn't take her somewhere that she had no right to go to anyway. Not sure what happens in the next chapter, but I sincerely hope she's not allowed to go to see the play as a punishment.

While I know Jo was in the wrong for not letting Amy know about the weak ice, I hope Amy has it dinned into her, that if she hadn't been such a brat as to follow Jo and Laurie, she wouldn't have been on the ice in the first place. Somehow I suspect though that she's going to be one of those indulged characters that always gets away with things. :evil:

While I'm all for children pulling their weight around the house, I can't help thinking that maybe the mother should be around a bit more often, if she had been, she would have told Amy she wasn't to go out with the older girls, and therefore prevented the destruction of the book.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I was always under the impression that Beth was the youngest? Maybe I'm wrong. She always came across as the youngest to me. :-)

Amy is one of those spoiled characters, although I think she does get her comeuppance - several times, and does try to become a better person eventually. Jo is the best and most realistic character, being based on the writer herself. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Amy was the youngest, Meg the eldest.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Was amazed to just read that Jo had forgotten to put the milk in the refrigerator. In 1868?? My family didn't get a fridge until the 1970s!
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Home and domestic refrigerators were only invented in 1913, although forms of commercial refrigeration had been in existence since the mid-18th century.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member