E. Nesbit - The Railway Children, etc.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: E. Nesbit - The Railway Children, etc.

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Daisy wrote:It was nice to see excerpts from the TV adaptation of Five Children and It which I enjoyed when it was first shown on TV.
I enjoyed that TV serial too, Daisy, along with several other E. Nesbit adaptations. I wish someone would make a film or high quality TV serial of The Story of the Amulet. It's a sweeping, stirring story with historical elements, powerful magic and engaging characters, and in these days of CGI I think it could be done convincingly. Even though it's the third book in the Five Children and It trilogy, it could stand alone. All three books (Five Children and It, The Phoenix and the Carpet and The Story of the Amulet) could be done, but then there's a risk of Amulet never being made as these projects so often fizzle out partway through.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I remember watching Five Children and It on Australian TV too, and quite enjoyed it — must have been shown on Saturday nights, as I distinctly remember it was always my family's night for fish and chips! 8) I have read The Phoenix and the Carpet and The Story of the Amulet too, but don't remember them as well as the first book, though I enjoyed them. I'll see if I can get around to watching the E. Nesbit programme while it's still on iPlayer — thanks for sharing it, Anita. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

The Story of the Amulet is probably my favourite of the three.

I have Five Children and It on DVD but although I think it's well done, the story is rather episodic, which spoils the flow a little.

Talking of The Railway Children I would go so far as to say it's the best film adaptation of a children's book ever made.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote: Talking of The Railway Children I would go so far as to say it's the best film adaptation of a children's book ever made.
Probably, yes! :D I love both the book and the film. The stage version (with a real steam train) is still on in London, too — has anyone here seen it? I believe it ends fairly soon and I've been wondering if I should go...
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Courtenay wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote: Talking of The Railway Children I would go so far as to say it's the best film adaptation of a children's book ever made.
Probably, yes! :D I love both the book and the film. The stage version (with a real steam train) is still on in London, too — has anyone here seen it? I believe it ends fairly soon and I've been wondering if I should go...
I've just received an email from British Theatre.com announcing cut price tickets -

http://britishtheatre.entstix.com/ticke ... y-children
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Thanks a bunch, Rob — I've just booked a premium reserve ticket at 40% off for this Saturday!!
:D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:
Society Member

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:The Story of the Amulet is probably my favourite of the three.

I have Five Children and It on DVD but although I think it's well done, the story is rather episodic, which spoils the flow a little.
I think this is one series that gets better with each book. Five Children and It is very episodic, The Phoenix and the Carpet is slightly less so and The Story of the Amulet has the most sustained and complex narrative.
Rob Houghton wrote:Talking of The Railway Children I would go so far as to say it's the best film adaptation of a children's book ever made.
If you mean the 1970 version, I agree that it's excellent. Actually, I enjoy the TV adaptation from 2000 as well (with Jemima Rooper as Bobbie). It's probably just as strong when it comes to characterisation, narrative and even pathos, but the poetry and virtuosity of the 1970 film simply can't be beaten.

Enjoy the play of The Railway Children, Courtenay! Tony, Lucky Star (John), Viking Star (who rarely posts now) and I went to see it in 2010, when it was on at Waterloo Station. The story was cleverly staged and there were some memorable scenes, e.g. a long, dark railway tunnel created from black gauze lit only by a "candle" carried by one of the characters - very shadowy and atmospheric.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Glad you bought a ticket, Courtenay! It was strange how you mentioned going and then I opened my emails and the special offer was there! I follow 'British Theatre.com' on facebook and they often have some good offers etc. :D Hope you enjoy it - and report back afterwards!

Yes, Anita - definitely meant the 1970 film version of The Railway Children. In my view it's a classic, particularly because it manages the sentiment without it becoming too much, and is so brilliantly cast. For me, no one but Jenny Agutter could ever play Bobbie, although Jemima Rooper wasn't bad, I just feel that anyone playing that part pales into insignificance besides Agutter! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

One of my favourite moments in the film (which I haven't seen for years, so I hope I'm remembering it right) is right near the start, when we're first introduced to the children's father before his mysterious disappearance. The family is at a performance of Peter Pan, just at the point where Tinker Bell is dying and all the audience has to show they believe in fairies in order to save her; Peter calls out "Do you believe in fairies?" and just as the collective shouts of "Yes!" are finished, the children's father comes in with added gusto: "Yes, I certainly do!!" :lol: Probably quite unusual for a father in Edwardian times to show such childlike enthusiasm in public, but it captures perfectly how close he is to his children and why they love him so much.
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I had a smile today because I received another email for a production of Stig Of The Dump, staring Katy Ashworth. Its in a theatre, but for a brief moment, given the current trend for setting plays in railway stations and castles etc I wondered if maybe the audience had to go and watch at the local 'waste disposal unit'... :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

:lol: :lol:
Society Member

Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Courtenay wrote:
A slightly slow reaction on this, particularly as you have got a ticket now, but I saw it at Waterloo in 2010. We had a sort of mini forum gathering with myself, Anita, Lucky Star and Viking Star. As you will know it is now at King's Cross, but I have seen something else at King's Cross Theatre and it is the same sort of set up as Waterloo with seating on either side of the track. You get a pretty good view wherever you sit. I won't tell you anything about it as I am sure you don't want spoilers! :lol:
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Going slightly off track from the book, but staying with the Railway Children theme, I occasionally chat to Sally Thomsett on Twitter. She's a lovely down to earth lady, who is very pleasant to talk to! :D
Last edited by number 6 on 17 Oct 2018, 22:13, edited 2 times in total.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

number 6 wrote:Going slightly off track
:lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I won't tell you anything about it as I am sure you don't want spoilers! :lol:
:lol: Having long ago read the book (and endured that monumental spoiler from my over-enthusiastic mother, as I mentioned elsewhere), and seen the 1970 film as well, I doubt there could be that many more spoilers to come! :wink: But I will be very intrigued to see how they manage to portray the various scenes in the story and whether there are any major changes to the plot. I'm sure it will be well worth seeing, in any case.
Society Member