Dan Brown - Angels and Demons, etc.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Dan Brown - Angels and Demons, etc.

Post by zaidi »

I just read Dan Brown yesterday and found him quite interesting g he's the writer after Enid i liked the most. I would say all of you should read about Angels and Demons it's a wonderful book very interesting. I would like all of you's to please add to Dan Brown.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Dan Brown the writer of Angels and Demons

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I read The Da Vinci Code a few years ago and was disappointed by it. The puzzles weren't very intriguing (a few times I found myself one step ahead of the main protagonists) and much of the controversial religious speculation was taken from another book called The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh and Henry Lincoln. However, I've heard from several people that Angels and Demons is a more interesting read so I might give it a go one of these days. I think Stephen, Lucky Star and Nigel have said in the past that they enjoyed it.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I can add that I too have read both books and Angels & Demons is the better one in my opinion.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Same here. Angels and Demons is more suspenseful and its not so easy to work out whats going to happen.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, A&D is my favourite of Dan Brown's titles. I have recently read The Lost Symbol, which I found to be just more of the same. I have really had enough now of this type of story - the market seems to be saturated with what I call Holy Grail Thrillers.
Society Member
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

There are some parts in it not to be read by children so i skipped those but other than that i loved the part where Langdon met Kohler and explained him the Illuminati. Those of u who read the book what do you think about the illuminati and the Catholic church.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

zaidi wrote:Those of u who read the book what do you think about the illuminati and the Catholic church.
Don't forget that Dan Brown is writing fiction. He mixes invention, speculation and fact in a confusing manner in order to write an entertaining (he hopes!) story, and I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about Christian beliefs from reading the books of Dan Brown!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

I said it because in Dan brown's note before the book he says " Illuminati are real" He wrote in the novel that first the Catholics were cruel to the Illuminati and then the Illuminati are to the Catholics.
izzy_1991
Favourite book/series: Faraway Tree
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen - Naughtiest Girl

Post by izzy_1991 »

zaidi,

Firstly, sorry it's taking me so long to reply to your private message. I need to use a computer for them but tend to access this site on my mobile.
zaidi wrote:I just read Dan Brown yesterday and found him quite interesting g he's the writer after Enid i liked the most.
I have not read Dan Brown books myself but since my fiancee read one a few months ago, he was not able to put it down and has since read all other books by Dan Brown. To get my fiancee to read is a task in itself so Dan's writing must be interestng.

I have watched both Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code as they have now both been brought out as films, both starring Tom Hanks. They were brilliant!! Unfortunately, although hadn't read the books I must agree with Anita:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:(a few times I found myself one step ahead of the main protagonists)
But the films are well worth watching.

As for reading, I'll stick to my Blyton's :D
"leave something for someone but dont leave someone for something"
- Enid Blyton (Five on a Hike Together)
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

dsr

Re: Dan Brown - Angels and Demons, etc.

Post by dsr »

Be very careful what you believe about Dan Brown's books. They're fiction, pure and simple, but they are set in real places (though some of them are altered to suit the plot - eg. the pyramid at the Louvre does not have 666 glass windows.) This way of mixing bits of truth with fiction is designed to make you believe the whole thing has truth in it - when it hasn't, it's invention.
DSR
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

Merged with an older topic.

Dan Brown's Da vinci Code is a real thriller! :idea: 8)
Has anyone tried any Dan Brown books as yet?
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Love them! It irritates me when it is written Da Vinci - it should be da Vinci. Goodness knows why the publishers did this.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Yes, I have read and enjoyed the Dan Brown books. The situations from which people extricate themselves is truly amazing. I'm not sure which book it was, but when I had read it - and it was a long one as they all are, I was amazed to find all the action had taken place in 24 hours!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

I enjoyed both the book and film version of this - found the better known THE DA VINCI CODE poor and the movie version agonising... In our wanderings in France last year we visited the rather atmospheric hill town of Rennes le Chateau where documents purporting to relate to the "Sangreal" or royal blood were supposed to have been discovered by the village priest in his church, launching a thousand conspiracy theories. We were there in the evening, few people about, and found it quite absorbing to follow through on a book called THE HOLY BLOOD AND THE HOLY GRAIL Anita mentioned earlier in this topic.
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.