Dan Brown - Angels and Demons, etc.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Dan Brown - Angels and Demons, etc.

Post by Daisy »

I read "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail" about 20 years ago and found it fascinating. I believe the authors of that were under the impression that Dan Brown pinched some of their ideas... I seem to remember some controversy about it after the Dan Brown books appeared.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Dan Brown openly acknowledged the influence, calling one of his main characters Leigh Teabing. Richard Leigh and Michael Baigent were two of the authors of The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, and Dan Brown used Richard's surname and an anagram of Michael's surname to create his character's name.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

That's very interesting Anita.. thank you.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Didn't Leigh and/or Baigent try to sue Dan Brown for pinching their ideas without permission, or am I getting mixed up there? :?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

They tried to sue him but failed. Although Dan Brown had written about some of the same themes, his plot and wording were judged to be original.

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

Daisy wrote:I read "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail" about 20 years ago and found it fascinating. I believe the authors of that were under the impression that Dan Brown pinched some of their ideas... I seem to remember some controversy about it after the Dan Brown books appeared.
I remember reading The Holy Blood And The Holy Grail * and I think it needs treating with the kind of enormous pinch of salt normally reserved for Erich Von Daniken and his ancient astronauts who built the pyramids.

I always rather like finding reference points and homages in books so I don't think any the worse of an author who uses such things. Not out and out plagiarism of course!

I've read two Dan Browns and it mystifies me how they ever got so popular.

* or at least the Yorkshire version: T' Oly Blood n'' Oly Grail
"The days are long, but the years are short"
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

burlingtonbertram wrote: I've read two Dan Browns and it mystifies me how they ever got so popular. * or at least the Yorkshire version: T' Oly Blood n'' Oly Grail
Perfect long-haul reads burlingtonbertram, chunky enough to last the journey but no close attention required :wink:
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

burlingtonbertram wrote: I remember reading The Holy Blood And The Holy Grail * and I think it needs treating with the kind of enormous pinch of salt normally reserved for Erich Von Daniken and his ancient astronauts who built the pyramids.

Well, exactly. It might make a ripping good read, but the scary part is when people seriously believe it's all based on fact. :shock: (By the way, I have incontrovertible evidence that Elvis is alive and well and living in a top-secret location in the Australian outback. Princess Di contacted me from the other side and told me.)

A few years ago I was doing an editorial internship with Australian Geographic and wrote an article about the recently-completed project to sequence the genome of the zebra finch. My suggestion for the title - which of course wasn't accepted, but it gave my colleagues a laugh - was Cracking da Finchi Code. :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

burlingtonbertram wrote:I remember reading The Holy Blood And The Holy Grail * and I think it needs treating with the kind of enormous pinch of salt normally reserved for Erich Von Daniken and his ancient astronauts who built the pyramids.

Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln based The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail (and sequels) on documents faked by Pierre Plantard. Plantard was trying to pass himself off as some great king foretold by Nostradamus and other prophets (or something like that, anyway).

If Baigent et al could have sued Dan Brown, Pierre Plantard could have sued them!

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

Courtenay wrote:A few years ago I was doing an editorial internship with Australian Geographic and wrote an article about the recently-completed project to sequence the genome of the zebra finch. My suggestion for the title - which of course wasn't accepted, but it gave my colleagues a laugh - was Cracking da Finchi Code. :mrgreen:
May I say that is a headline of sheer genius.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Thanks, but in the end I had to settle for the much more prosaic "DNA blueprint of zebra finch gives human language clues". At least we couldn't get sued by Dan Brown for that. :P
Society Member

zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

I just loved the romance in the end between Robert and Sophie,it was an excellent description! I wished there was more of it :lol:

The Holy Grail thing was very interesting :idea: but I guess Dan Brown got too far with it,considering the Mary Magdalene and Jesus thing.
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Just started in on DB's new blockbuster, ORIGIN - reviews had it down as a tad formulaic but it starts well :D
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Dan Brown the writer of Angels and Demons

Post by Chrissie777 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 20 Jun 2011, 08:42 I read The Da Vinci Code a few years ago and was disappointed by it. The puzzles weren't very intriguing (a few times I found myself one step ahead of the main protagonists) and much of the controversial religious speculation was taken from another book called The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh and Henry Lincoln. However, I've heard from several people that Angels and Demons is a more interesting read so I might give it a go one of these days. I think Stephen, Lucky Star and Nigel have said in the past that they enjoyed it.

I was absolutely thrilled with "The Da Vinci Code". In December 2019 we spent 10 days in California and I ran out of books (I don't like e-books), so we drove to a small bookstore in Carmel-by-the-sea, but none of the newly published books sounded intriguing. Finally I discovered "The Da Vinci Code" and thought I'd give it a try. We had watched the movie around 2006 or 2007 and enjoyed it very much.
The book was even better (I have the illustrated version with lots of color photos from Paris).
I think it's a fascinating novel for everybody who went to Paris.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

I also enjoyed "Angels & Demons" and recognized many places in Rome where we have been in 2008. But I didn't like the movie as much as I liked "The Da Vinci Code".
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock