What other author are you reading at the moment?

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Re: What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by floragord »

Lucky Star wrote:It's a great series though. I read it years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Its a magnificent read, Lucky Star, I'm hugely enjoying the series. Just started in on THE QUEST so I've got a way to go, I'll be sorry to come to the end though.
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I am reading The White Witch by Elizabeth Goudge. It's a beautiful book, but requires and deservers, thoughtful, attentive reading.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I agree, Pauline. I love Elizabeth Goudge's books and have most of them, all of which have been read many times.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm looking forward to reading more of her books. The descriptions are amazing. You can almost feel yourself in the cool woods, gathering herbs with Froniga, or preparing potions in her kitchen.
Last edited by Pauline on 01 May 2017, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Post by deepeabee »

I'm reading Nick Spaulding - Life without breaks. Not as funny as some of his other books but still making me laugh a bit :) :D
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Just started reading The Apology by Plato. :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

In ancient Greek I trust....
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Last night I started reading "If a Man answers" by Winifred Wolfe (which is my second favorite Sandra Dee movie and a lovely novel). I've read it decades ago and it's as cute as I remember it :).
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
timv

Post by timv »

I'm an Elizabeth Goudge fan too, though sadly (like a lot of her 1930s-50s contemporaries) she seems to have slipped out of the popular consciousness in recent decades. I have 1970s/80s paperback reprints of her contemporary-set 1940s novel 'The Herb of Grace' and the Elizabethan historical novel 'Towers in the Mist' - the latter is one of my favourite historical novels and very atmospheric. It features a 1560s scholar and his family in Elizabethan Oxford and the Queen's visit there of 1566, and is set at the real-life canon's house at Christ Church (next to the famous college hall and the cathedral) where I think EG once lived. A teenage Sir Philip Sidney and Sir Walter Raleigh also feature as Oxford students, plus Elizabeth I's 'favourite' the Earl of Leicester (Sidney's uncle) and the future Catholic martyr Edmund Campion. EG also wrote a novel about Wells Cathedral where he cleric father had been an official. But none of EG's books seem to have been reprinted in recent decades, and the local Hants tourist authorities make nothing of her long-term holidays there and later residence at Barton/New Milton.
For links to the Enid Blyton 1970s Famous Five TV series - three of her books, including 'The Herb of Grace' (about a fictional inn of that name based on a real house at Bucklers Hard in Hampshire, nearly Exbury, which EG knew) were based around a real house at Keyhaven in Hampshire, close to Hurst Castle. This was 'Harewood House', a genteel small hotel founded by a former butler at the HH estate in Yorkshire, which EG and her family stayed at for 1930s holidays and which she called 'Damerosehay' after a real-life farm field adjoining it. In her series the Little Village' of the stories is Keyhaven and the 'Big Village' the adjacent Milford on Sea, faithfully reproduced - Enid's illustrator Mary Gernat lived at the latter in the 1960s (as I did) . I knew Harewood House in the 1960s, but it has since been demolished and turned into a block of flats next to the harbour.
Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

How marvellous to know there are other Elizabeth Goudge fans on the Forums, I love her work and have about everything she wrote, collected painfully over the years from book searches and in Hay-on-Wye, most people look blank when they hear the name. The Elliots of Damerosehay trilogy is a great favourite of mine - how interesting to hear about the background of the books - but my all-time favourite is THE SCENT OF WATER, I practically know it by heart now but still return for a regular re-read!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I currently have on the go A Matter of Clues by Monica Marsden and for a bit of grown up reading My Uncle Silas by H E Bates.

A Matter of Clues is set in Salisbury Rhodesia. Twins June and Julie solve a riddle published in the local paper which tells where the next crime will take place by the notorious jewel thief Mr X. Further clues leads them on the trail of Mr X with their friends a police detective and a journalist. A silly plot perhaps but great fun and very funny.

H E Bates is another unfairly neglected writer from the last century. My Uncle Silas is a collection of short stories about an old rogue of a countryman with a taste for poaching, story telling and cowslip wine. They are hilarious but poignant too. Bates is one of the finest short story writers and this book is one of his best.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi timv and floragord. Yes, it IS lovely to know that there are other people on this site who love Elizabeth Goudge books. I bought The White Witch along with The Castle on the Hill, The Heart of the Family and also The Herb of Grace - the book which you mention, timv. It's so interesting to know about links with the Famous Five tv series and I'm really looking forward to reading this. I shall certainly be looking out for The Scent of Water, also, floragord. Isn't it wonderful, to love a book that much? Thank you so much, both of you, and looking forward to reading more of your posts.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I would try to read "the Bird in the Tree" - the first of the Damerosehay trilogy, first, if you can. You will find the others make more sense. I wasn't aware of it, so didn't get to read them in the right order first time around.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'm also a big fan of H.E. Bates and have read most of his novels and short stories, Kate Mary. My favourite of his books is Love for Lydia. :D

I've just finished reading Robert Westall's superb 1990 novel, The Kingdom by the Sea. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Post by deepeabee »

Kate Mary wrote:I'm reading the second childhood memoir by Miss Read - "Time Remembered". This covers the years 1921-24 when she attended a village school in Kent. A charming, gentle read.
I love Miss Read too and have read most of her books. You are right they are a charming, gentle read. Lovely. :D
SwatIsaid!

Society Member