What other author are you reading at the moment?

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by Chrissie777 »

I'm about to finish reading "Shattered" by Dean R. Koontz, one of his earlier novels which he published in 1973 under the pseudonym K. R. Dwyer.
My favorite Jean-Louis Trintignant movie "Les passagers" (1977) is based on the novel, that's why I always wanted to read the book. A very suspenseful book adaptation. I thoroughly enjoy his 1970's writing style, but must admit that some of his later successful novels like "Intensity" and "Dark Rivers of the Heart" were not to my liking.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074642/combined" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Lucky Star wrote:Professor Watts sounds like a very interesting man Eddie. He has certainly led a very learned and fascinating life. I noticed on Amazon that he has also written books on Shakespeare, Hardy and others. He must have been a wonderful man to learn from.

I am enjoying Conrad and have now moved on to Typhoon and other stories. However I don't know him particularly well; till I picked up Narcissus I had previously only read Heart of Darkness. As Anita said he must be read quite slowly as his prose and ideas are intricate. I shall certainly be reading more of his work.
He certainly was a wonderful teacher and a young one during my time at the university, John. As well as being my personal tutor, Cedric was also my tutor for my Shakespeare course. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying Conrad. I must admit that I haven't read any of his works since leaving university and, as I said in response to Anita's post, I ought to return to him one of these days.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Right now, Beast Child, by Ben Chandler.
Deej92
Favourite book/series: Five Get into Trouble (Famous Five)
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej92 »

I've just started reading "Children of the Revolution" by Peter Robinson. It's a novel in the Inspector Alan Banks books which has also become a TV series. I have to say that's it's a very good read.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

I've read most of the DCI Banks books.
"In A Dry Season" is excellent (I read it 3 or 4 times), but unfortunately they did not film it (yet).
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I have just started reading "Chaos" by Patricia Cornwell. It's one of the novels from the Scarpetta series. Even though I am not really into thriller books, this is a real page turner and I'm loving it! :D
(got that book for Christmas!)
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I love reading mysteries and thrillers. They are very thrilling to read. Page turners and unputdownable are very apt adjectives to describe thrillers and mysteries. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Post by deepeabee »

sixret wrote:I love reading mysteries and thrillers. They are very thrilling to read.
I do too. I suppose it's a natural progression from adventure books. I don't like them too gory though!!

I've just been reading DCI Ryan books set in the north east by L J Ross. Excellent stories.
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

I agree. It's a natural progression for readers who have read, enjoyed and loved children mystery/adventure books venture into adult mystery/thrillers and even horror in some cases! Once you have been hooked on the genre, you'll stay. :lol:

And thank you for the recommendation.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

sixret wrote:I agree. It's a natural progression for readers who have read, enjoyed and loved children mystery/adventure books venture into adult mystery/thrillers and even horror in some cases! Once you have been hooked on the genre, you'll stay. :lol:
I'm one who wouldn't agree there — I grew up reading and loving children's mystery/adventure books by Enid Blyton and others, but don't have the slightest interest in adult mysteries or thrillers, let alone horror! :shock: Too scary. My parents are both murder mystery addicts (preferably the classics like Agatha Christie or others without too much blood and gore), but I've tried them and they just don't grab me. Maybe I'm a wuss, but I don't like people getting hurt — and I somehow feel like there's more than enough suffering and terror in the world out there without needing to fill my head with invented versions of it as well. :( But that's just me — I'm not condemning those genres or people who read them at all, just saying I personally don't enjoy them. I prefer Enid Blyton stories where you know everything's going to turn out all right in the end. :lol:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I pretty much agree with you Courtenay. I've never really progressed from children's books either. I do like Agatha Christies, as they aren't generally very gory and I enjoy the historical feel of the books too. I'm currently reading a lot of school girl stories from the 1930s/40s. A bit predictable at times, but unlike real life, it usually all works out fine in the end.

I do however agree with Sixret's last comment,
Once you have been hooked on the genre, you'll stay.
For me that's mostly children's books from the 1950s and earlier.
Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

You're right, Courtenay. Some adults may have led a different path altogether. I know you like animals(judging by your article in Journal, The Adventures of Pip and Watership Down. :D

I like puzzles, clues, red-herrings, suspects, critical thinking(by the detectives) and knowing that the culprits will be caught eventually at the end and the justice will be served. Goodness will be preserved by knowing the bittersweet denouement for the victim's families. All these aspects give me an immense satisfaction!

Whichever path our interests have led, the source has always been books by Enis Blyton! :D

sixret

Post by sixret »

I like and enjoy reading vintage children books as well as modern children books too, Katharine. :D

Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Sixret, it's probably much better to be like you and read a wide variety of books, but I have tried from time to time in the past, and just don't enjoy most adult literature and many modern children's authors. Even ones such as the Harry Potter book I have mixed feelings about. Too many deaths of 'good' characters for a start and I do wish she wouldn't include vomiting scenes. Fortunately I feel that her books are in the whole wonderfully well written, so I can put up with a few unpleasant bits.

Apart from at school, I think reading should be a pleasurable experience so I prefer to stick to something that is 'nice' rather than something that is challenging/thought provoking/gritty/realistic etc.

:D
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

After reading Five go adventuring again & Five get into a fix during Xmas, I've now started reading Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights for the first time. I'm only a few chapters in & already it's getting atmospherically dark! :D