What other author are you reading at the moment?

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
KEVP

Re: What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by KEVP »

There were actually a number of books similar to Futility written before the Titanic sank. Basically, the trend to making bigger and bigger, and faster and faster, ships led to a lot of authors thinking about the fact that safety wasn't being improved at the same rate as size and speed. This really means that the Titanic disaster was indeed completely avoidable.

The author of Futility was still alive at the time the Titanic sank. When interviewed, he did say he did believe in ESP and similar things, but denied that he used anything like that when he wrote his book.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I never knew Dead Souls was going to get so interesting! I can't stop reading now!!
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I'm reading Christmas At The Priory by Marjorie Cleves. Six girls and two mistresses are spending Christmas in school. They are cut off from the outside world by a heavy fall of snow and to complicate matters a ghost appears.

Marjorie Cleves was so taken with this storyline that she wrote three versions of it! "Christmas at the Priory", Lutterworth Press 1946, "The Lilac Grange Ghost", Epworth Press 1949 and "The Merryfield Mystery" Hutchinson 1960. I read the latter title as a child and it remains a favourite. Marjorie's plots are wildly unrealistic but always great fun.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

That rings a bell, Kate Mary, but which version I have read I really don't know! As you say, the plot does stretch one's credulity at times. Good fun though.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

floragord wrote:
Julie2owlsdene wrote:Yes, I used to post my letter to Father Christmas up the chimney, which I think I've mentioned in the Christmas thread. :lol:
:oops: hadn't seen your post when I wrote that, Julie, it was (and is?) a delightful custom! We were given a sheet of nice writing paper to do the list in first staggery capitals (NAICE DOLLY, TWAIN SET) then best joined up writing, and the envelope probably prodded a bit with the poker so it shot up the chimney with plenty of sparks :D. None of us were ever surprised when everything on the list appeared under the tree for the opening ceremony on 25/12 morning, that's the magic of Christmas!
An amusing update today on sending one's gift requests via chimney to Father Christmas. We were having elevenses in a cafe in town earlier and a lady said to her little girl at the next table: "Have you sent your text to Santa" - only one question (unanswered alas, just a :wink: ) - what's his mobile no! Same tradition 21st Century version :D
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Kate Mary wrote:I'm reading Christmas At The Priory by Marjorie Cleves. Six girls and two mistresses are spending Christmas in school. They are cut off from the outside world by a heavy fall of snow and to complicate matters a ghost appears.

Marjorie Cleves was so taken with this storyline that she wrote three versions of it! "Christmas at the Priory", Lutterworth Press 1946, "The Lilac Grange Ghost", Epworth Press 1949 and "The Merryfield Mystery" Hutchinson 1960. I read the latter title as a child and it remains a favourite. Marjorie's plots are wildly unrealistic but always great fun.
I read The Merryfield Mystery when I was eleven. I clearly remember buying it for 5p at a school Bring and Buy sale, along with several Collins Enid Blyton books, and curling up on the settee to read it. Sadly, I can't remember anything about the story! I've still got it so I'll have to read it again one of these days.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I'm reading "A chicken for Christmas" by Jo Hatcher. I remember reading it in junior school and enjoying it as a child. It's out of print and most of the time not available (even online), but one day I managed to find a copy for a reasonable price. Signed by the author too!
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series

Post by Wolfgang »

I started to read Douglas Hill's Last legionary series in English. I read the first two books available in German more than 30 years ago, I hope I can finish reading the series now ;-).
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Christmas at Nettleford, by Malcolm Saville. A really seasonal story.
Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Christmas at Nettleford is one of the best Christmas stories and a great favourite of mine. I'm reading Village Christmas by Miss Read, just a short story but its a perfect tale of two spinster sisters' frosty attitude to their noisy, easygoing neighbours being thawed by the coming of a Christmas baby.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

The Nigger of the Narcissus by Joseph Conrad.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

I was interested to learn that you are reading one of Joseph Conrad's books, John. When I was a student at the University of Sussex, my personal tutor was Professor Cedric Watts, who is one of the world's leading authorities on Conrad and has written a number of books about his favourite author. Cedric has remained in touch with me over the years since I graduated. Yesterday, I received a Christmas card from him. He is now 79 and lives in Rottingdean. :D

Here is a little biographical information about him:

Cedric Watts served in the Royal Navy, 1956-8. He was an Exhibitioner at Pembroke College, Cambridge, 1958-61, graduating with a First in English. He also took his MA and Ph.D. at Cambridge University. He became a lecturer at Sussex University in 1965; a Reader in 1979; and a Professor in 1983. From 2002 to 2011 he was a Research Professor of English. In 2011 he became an Emeritus Professor of English.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That's interesting, Eddie. I ought to return to Conrad one of these days. I've only read Heart of Darkness, Lord Jim, The Secret Agent and a few short stories. I find Conrad has to be read slowly, with plenty of time to stop and ponder, as there's a lot to take in.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'm glad you found my post of interest, Anita. Like you I find Conrad has to be read slowly in order to get the most out of his superb writing. I too must return to him one of these days.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Professor Watts sounds like a very interesting man Eddie. He has certainly led a very learned and fascinating life. I noticed on Amazon that he has also written books on Shakespeare, Hardy and others. He must have been a wonderful man to learn from.

I am enjoying Conrad and have now moved on to Typhoon and other stories. However I don't know him particularly well; till I picked up Narcissus I had previously only read Heart of Darkness. As Anita said he must be read quite slowly as his prose and ideas are intricate. I shall certainly be reading more of his work.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member