What other author are you reading at the moment?

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Maria Elena
Favourite book/series: The five find outers
Favourite character: Kiki

Re: What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by Maria Elena »

I am currently reading “One pair of hands" by Monica Dickens. I love her witty style and I can't stop laughing with all the anecdotes of her experience as a cook-general.
The point is not that I don't recognise bad people when I see them — I grant you I may quite well be taken in by them — the point is that I know a good person when I see one.
Enid Blyton, The Rubadub Mystery (Barney Mysteries, #4)
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Have you read Marianne Dreams before, Chrissie? It was one of my daughter's favourites when she was younger, and I enjoyed it too. Most unnerving.
Anita, I've finished it last night and also watched the movie. They changed the movie quite a bit.
I prefer the book, but what kept annoying me: why didn't Marianne simply draw a new house when she couldn't remove the bar(r)s from the window on the original drawing?
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Chrissie777 wrote:I've started (and almost finished) reading vol. 2 from a Norman Dale trilogy. Vol. 2 is called "Dangerous Treasure". It takes place during WW II near the British south coast.
Peter, Ginger and Veronica try to find an old treasure in the underground passages of a ruin on top of a hill. The treasure was hidden during Oliver Cromwell's time.
I find this sequel even more compelling than "Secret Service".
Finally I've finished "The Best Adventure" (1945), not bad, but think that part 2 was the best in the trilogy.
In the 3rd part Peter, Ginger and Veronica try to find some stolen sport awards/cups.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Now I'm reading the first part of another trilogy, it's by French film maker and author Robert Guez based on his TV series "La déesse d'or" (1961) aka "The Golden Goddess" ("The Golden Mask" was the title on German TV).
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Chrissie777 wrote:Anita, I've finished it last night and also watched the movie. They changed the movie quite a bit.
I prefer the book, but what kept annoying me: why didn't Marianne simply draw a new house when she couldn't remove the bar(r)s from the window on the original drawing?
I too preferred the book. It's years since I read the book and watched the film so I'm afraid I can't remember the details well enough to comment on the bars.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

While recovering from flying down the stairs without a broomstick I read What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge (1989 World International Publishers hardback edition).
Much of this novel from chapter 8, Tomorrow, onward spoke to me growing up as a disabled child trying to make sense of what this life could be like and adjusting to it as days become weeks that soon add up to a year or more.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's wonderful the way characters from books can resonate with people across centuries and cultures.

I hope you've now recovered from your fall (or fly!) Sounds painful.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

joanne_chan wrote:While recovering from flying down the stairs without a broomstick...
Speedy recovery, Joanne.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell. It is the last of his books that I have to read.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
joanne_chan

Post by joanne_chan »

Lucky Star wrote:Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell. It is the last of his books that I have to read.
I'm purposely avoiding anything with the 'p' word but it is interesting as a factual record of an International Brigade volunteer and also for the insights into internal squabbling and then left wing politics having read it a few times, Orwell being a author programed very much in our English Literature syllabus (and rightly so).
joanne_chan

Post by joanne_chan »

Minor thread derailment
Chrissie and Anita, Thank you for your concern. I'm recovering although I did something like this by coincidence this time last year not being terribly good on my feet however it shook me up a bit. I should be okay to spend the weekend in South Staffs with friends (Sends flares in direction of Kings Norton! :lol: )
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'm reading another Agatha Raisin, called - Wellspring of Death.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

Just finished reading Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz. This is only the third book I've read by him and I enjoyed it as much as the other two (both of them were the Sherlock Holmes spin off books). There's also a reference to Enid Blyton in the book!
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Maria Elena wrote:I am currently reading “One pair of hands" by Monica Dickens. I love her witty style and I can't stop laughing with all the anecdotes of her experience as a cook-general.
Interesting to see you like her 'witty style'. I've only ever read one book by her No More Meadows and from what I can remember of it, it was very miserable. So much so, that I really ought to give it to a charity shop, as I can't imagine I'll ever read it again. Have you ever read any of her other books? Maybe I was unlucky and got a bad one?

I'm still slowly working my way through the book about the history of Ladybird books. It's fascinating to see that as late as the 1960s, information is very scarce and patchy. When I watch programmes like Who Do You Think You Are, it seems so easy to produce documents about a person's ancestors from a hundred years or more, and yet a massive company like Ladybird books doesn't seem to have kept very good records.
Society Member
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Post by deepeabee »

Courtenay wrote:I'm currently reading The Life of a Scilly Sergeant by Colin Taylor... it's actually the Christmas present I gave to Mum (belatedly, as I brought my family's Christmas presents with me in order to save posting them to Australia), but she's happy for me to read it before I go back to England at the end of the week. Sgt Taylor has served for a number of years as the head of the (very small) police force on the Isles of Scilly and shares plenty of stories — many of them hilariously funny — from his beat. There's not a lot of serious crime on Scilly but there are still plenty of interesting incidents to keep the cops busy, it seems... :wink:
Sounds good, I'll look out for that. :)
SwatIsaid!

Society Member