What other author are you reading at the moment?

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Re: What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by floragord »

Miss Read's enchanting CHRISTMAS AT FAIRACRE, a present, opened with perfect timing on Christmas Day!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I agree floragord, Christmas at Fairacre is a gorgeous collection of stories, I especially love the story The Christmas Mouse. Reading Courtenay and Katharine's posts earlier in this thread I think they would enjoy Miss Read's books.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

sixret wrote:It's a natural progression for readers who have read, enjoyed and loved children mystery/adventure books venture into adult mystery/thrillers and even horror in some cases! Once you have been hooked on the genre, you'll stay. :lol:
I agree!
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

sixret wrote:I like and enjoy reading vintage children books as well as modern children books too, Katharine. :D
I too enjoy reading old mystery children books like those of British children's book author Norman Dale, French children's book author Paul-Jacques Bonzon and Swedish children's book author Astrid Lindgren (Bill Bergson aka Kalle Blomkvist).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Bergson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul-Jacques_Bonzon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Kate Mary wrote:Reading Courtenay and Katharine's posts earlier in this thread I think they would enjoy Miss Read's books.
My mother used to enjoy those books, I'm not sure if she still has any. I'll have to check with her. She also enjoys the Agatha Raisin books, so perhaps I'll give those a try. I'm not anti other styles of books, I've just found very few that I enjoy.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I enjoy the Miss Read books very much and possess quite a few. I think you would like them Katharine.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Chrissie777 wrote:
sixret wrote:I like and enjoy reading vintage children books as well as modern children books too, Katharine. :D
I too enjoy reading old mystery children books like those of British children's book author Norman Dale, French children's book author Paul-Jacques Bonzon and Swedish children's book author Astrid Lindgren (Bill Bergson aka Kalle Blomkvist).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Bergson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul-Jacques_Bonzon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you for the recommendation, Chrissie. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

I've been reading "John le Carre: The Biography" by Adam Sisman. What fascinates me is that Sisman interviewed le Carre (a pen name for David Cornwell) about all aspects of his life, but then constantly has to say le Carre must be misremembering because of other evidence (eg, Le Carre couldn't have talked with a certain person in a certain year, because that person had died a couple of years earlier, or Le Carre is misremembering when he says his father didn't come to his wedding, because there is a photograph that clearly shows his father witnessing the bride signing the register. And so on.)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Daisy wrote:I enjoy the Miss Read books very much and possess quite a few. I think you would like them Katharine.
Thanks Daisy, I think people have recommended them to me before, so I really should give them a try. :D
Society Member
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Post by deepeabee »

I love Miss Read books and used to own most of them. Unfortunately when we moved I had to send many old friends to the charity shop and Miss Read and Enid were amongst those that had to go. Also P G Wodehouse. :(

I miss my old friends.
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That's a shame. When I moved from my parents' house to my first home, my books were packed up and put in the loft. When we moved here, I had them in a box behind the headboard of our bed for a while, as I was determined not to be parted from them again. At the moment I dream of turning one of the children's bedrooms into a library, or winning the Premium Bonds and moving to a larger house.

Maybe you could get some of your 'friends' to visit you from the local library? :D
Society Member
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Post by deepeabee »

Yes I do get them from the library when available :D I'm also building up a collection on kindle. I didn't like kindle at first but I love it now because I can (and do) have many more books than I have room for in the house and they can come with me wherever I go. I even managed to read in the supermarket queue the other day! :)
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Katharine wrote: At the moment I dream of turning one of the children's bedrooms into a library,
I did it after harbouring the dream for many years. The books are stacked properly alphabetically by author and it means I don't have to keep thinning out my collection. Go for it, Katharine!
Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Kate Mary wrote:I agree floragord, Christmas at Fairacre is a gorgeous collection of stories, I especially love the story The Christmas Mouse. Reading Courtenay and Katharine's posts earlier in this thread I think they would enjoy Miss Read's books.
I'm just savouring my way through NO HOLLY FOR MISS QUINN Kate Mary, and enjoying every word! I occasionally flip back to the introduction because it is such a heavenly description of winter:

"Outside, the winter landscape has a beauty of its own: bare branches against a clear sky, brilliant stars on a frosty night and perhaps a swathe of untouched snow. But these beauties are best when seen from the comfort of one's home, with a good fire crackling and the smell of crumpets toasting for tea. That is the charm of the winter season, the contrast between the cold and the warmth, the light and the dark".
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

My mum is a big fan of Miss Read and has read a lot of her books. :D I've only read one of them (years ago), The White Robin, which I enjoyed, but have never got around to reading any others. I should, one day, I know!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)