What other author are you reading at the moment?

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by Fiona1986 »

Drat, I was hoping there was a marvellous new Norwegian author out there :lol:. I've got a lot of Roald Dahl's short stories and they are really good. I particularly like the one about the "vicar" who goes around buying antique furniture and the one about the guest house full of taxidermied animals. Can't remember the title of either though!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I read the one about the "vicar" last night, Fiona. It's called "The Parson's Pleasure" and it is indeed a really good short story. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I love The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar. Unfortunately though I haven't read a lot of his short stories.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

The two bulky volumes of Roald Dahl's The Complete Short Stories are available from the Works, John. I bought mine in the Crawley branch a few weeks ago. I can't remember the exact cost, but it was certainly less than £10. The cover price is £14.99 per volume.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Fiona1986 wrote:I've got a lot of Roald Dahl's short stories and they are really good. I particularly like the one about the "vicar" who goes around buying antique furniture and the one about the guest house full of taxidermied animals. Can't remember the title of either though!
Ah yes - the one about the guest house and taxidermy is called 'The Landlady'. It's always been a favourite of mine, along with 'Mrs. Bixby and the Colonel's Coat' and 'Lamb to the Slaughter'. 'Genesis and Catastrophe' is another one that has stuck in the mind.

Hope you enjoy reading both volumes of stories, Eddie!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: Hope you enjoy reading both volumes of stories, Eddie!
Thank you, Anita. I'm really enjoying the stories. :D

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Beyond Words: What Animals Think and Feel
By Carl Safina

Carl delivers a very thought provoking lecture here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9KeyKVuLHU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What's going on inside the brains of animals? Can we know what, or if, they're thinking and feeling? Carl Safina thinks we can. Using discoveries and anecdotes that span ecology, biology and behavioral science, he weaves together stories of whales, wolves, elephants and albatrosses to argue that just as we think, feel, use tools and express emotions, so too do the other creatures – and minds – that share the Earth with us.

TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world's leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes (or less). Look for talks on Technology, Entertainment and Design -- plus science, business, global issues, the arts and much more.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: along with 'Mrs. Bixby and the Colonel's Coat' and 'Lamb to the Slaughter'. 'Genesis and Catastrophe' is another one that has stuck in the mind.
Ahh yes I remember the one about the coat now. I think I know which one Lamb to the Slaughter is but I can't think of Genesis and Catastrophe. I've loaned my collections (this one, and this one) to my sister so I can't check or have a re-read at the moment!

I am however listening to The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Other Stories from Audible. I'd read it at school (in fact I still have my high school copy of the book, whoops...) but I really didn't remember the other stories from it.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

'Genesis and Catastrophe' is about a woman who longs for a healthy baby. I can't say any more without spoiling the story.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

The Parson's Pleasure rings a bell with me, Eddie. Like Fiona, I couldn't recall the title. Thanks for reminding us.
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:'Genesis and Catastrophe' is about a woman who longs for a healthy baby. I can't say any more without spoiling the story.
I read this one last night, Anita. Most interesting. :D
Moonraker wrote:The Parson's Pleasure rings a bell with me, Eddie. Like Fiona, I couldn't recall the title. Thanks for reminding us.
You're most welcome, Nigel. :D

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Eddie Muir wrote: I bought mine in the Crawley branch a few weeks ago. I can't remember the exact cost, but it was certainly less than £10. The cover price is £14.99 per volume.
Thanks Eddie, I will have a look next time I'm over there.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

On Sunday I started re-reading an older novel by Douglas Kennedy, "The Pursuit of Happiness" (2001)

https://www.amazon.com/Pursuit-Happines ... 462&sr=1-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which I have read years ago when it was released.
I haven't read such a compelling book since I've finished devouring Stieg Larsson's Millenium trilogy last summer. My husband already complained that I spend every single minute with reading. :)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'm still ploughing my way through the short stories of Roald Dahl and thoroughly enjoying the experience. :D

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Today I finished reading "The Moment" (2011) by Douglas Kennedy which was not translated into German even though it takes place in Berlin, Germany, in 1984. I thought it was very well-researched and gripping. Again most of the chores had to wait, my husband and our dog complained that I kept reading every minute I could escape to the novel. :)

Now I'm reading Alec Baldwin's autobiography "Nevertheless" which is very funny (this guy has a great sense of humor AND lots of movie knowledge) and also a great read. I need to finish it within 12 days as the library just received it and it has lots of requests, so I cannot extend it.

On Saturday July 22nd my friend Nancy Thayer who lives and writes novels on Nantucket will come to our public library to have a discussion about her new novel "Secrets in Summer" (taking place on the isle of Nantucket).
We are very much looking forward to that event and to meet her again! :)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock