Jane Austen

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Jane Austen

Post by Courtenay »

I just enjoyed this article from the BBC about an exhibition at the British Library of Jane Austen's notebooks in which she wrote her earliest stories as a teenager: The racy side of Jane Austen (Don't worry, it's nothing "racy" as in "unsuitable for under-18s"! :wink: )

Recently I read Paula Byrne's excellent biography The Real Jane Austen, which also goes into quite a bit of detail about her teenage writings and how full of colourful characters and tongue-in-cheek scandalous yarns they are compared with her more mature writings as an adult. I'll definitely have to go along to the British Library while this exhibition is on and have a look. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Machupicchu14 wrote:Really Courtenay? Why?
I still believe the 2005 is the best one. How I love Mr. Darcy in that movie!!!
Oh, me too. Only it is Elizabeth ( Keira Knightley) that had me swooning! Darcy was very well played, though. I just couldn't help seeing him as Ripper Street's Inspector Reid!
Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Our weekend guest has gifted me a beautiful new book, JANE AUSTEN AT HOME by the historian Lucy Worsley, that came out about 18 May. I'm looking forward immensely to reading it, a quick glance at the opening pages look very promising - meanwhile we plan to settle down to JANE AUSTEN BEHIND CLOSED DOORS, also with Lucy Worsley, visiting the various locations that helped inspire her heroine's work, at 9pm on BBC2 tonight
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Ooh, I've just started reading Jane Austen at Home myself, Floragord! :D Very much enjoying it so far. I won't be able to catch the TV programme tonight, but will watch it on iPlayer later — thanks for reminding me.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I must keep a look out for a copy of Jane Austen At Home, let me know what you think of it. I've already set the recorder for the TV programme. I'm reading Mansfield Park at the moment which I think is my favourite, at least until I start re-reading Emma or P&P or Persuasion or...
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I couldn't watch it tonight as I was on shift, but I spread the word around the care home and a few of our ladies watched it. They all thoroughly enjoyed it, too! :D
Society Member

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Finished reading Jane Austen at Home by Lucy Worsley the other day — a really lovely and interesting and very readable, engaging book. Highly recommended for everyone from die-hard "Janeites" to those who are just mildly interested in her! :wink:

Just recently I had another trip to "Austen country" — Hampshire — and revisited Jane Austen's House Museum in Chawton, as well as Winchester, where she died 200 years ago this year. There are a few commemorative exhibitions. At her Chawton house, they're highlighting various objects that belonged to Jane or her family and tell something of their lives. I also enjoyed visiting Winchester Cathedral (where Jane is buried) and seeing an exhibition there of artworks inspired by her life, her writings and her faith (she was a devout Anglican). Here's one I particularly liked, with some sage advice from Pride and Prejudice! :D

Society Member

number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

I've not read Lucy Worsley's book, but I did watch the 'Jane Austin at home' that she presented on TV a few nights ago. Very interesting & enjoyable. Lucy is my idea of what a grown up Anne (F5) would look like, if she were real! :D
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

number 6 wrote:Lucy is my idea of what a grown up Anne (F5) would look like, if she were real! :D
You mean Lucy Worsley isn't real?? :shock: :wink: :wink:
Society Member

number 6

Post by number 6 »

Haha! How silly of me! I really must think before I post! :oops: :lol:
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Oh, don't worry, I knew what you meant — just couldn't resist seizing on the ambiguity! :wink:

Meanwhile, it's turned out that I can make it to Frome next month for this special event: An Evening with Jane Austen's Music Books
David Owen Norris, pianist, composer and broadcaster (BBC television and Radio 3) explores the musical world of the novels, and delves into the question of Austen's musical creativity. Could she have composed a Piano Sonata? Hear it, and make up your own mind! Norris frequently plays this repertoire at the Austen family home at Chawton. This evening he will play a square piano from Jane Austen's time.
Sounds intriguing! :D
Society Member

floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

I see its the 200th anniversary of Jane Austen's death today. The Royal Mint isn't far from here and I've ordered one of the new £2 coins to mark the occasion.
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

I think the new £10 note depicting Jane Austin was supposed to be unveiled today, floragord. It goes into circulation soon, but I don't know for sure which month! :D
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

There was an article about it on the BBC website today — it goes into circulation on the 14th of September. :D

I might add I did make it to the event in Frome that I posted about earlier — "An Evening with Jane Austen's Music Books" by BBC Radio 3 presenter David Owen Norris. He played a number of pieces from the Austen family's music books on a square piano of that era and discussed some of the music that Jane was interested in and referred to in her books and letters. Most intriguingly, there's a piano piece in her music books simply entitled "Sonata", written out in Jane's hand but without a composer's name on it (every other piece she copied out to play has the composer's name) and with a little drawing by her down the side of one of the pages. Did she compose it herself? David played it for us — it was a lovely piece in three movements, not dramatically innovative but very enjoyable to listen to, and obviously composed by someone who had a good knowledge of music and technical ability at the keyboard, which we know Jane had. I reckon it really might be by her! :wink:
Society Member

number 6

Post by number 6 »

Thanks, Courtenay! :D Sounds like a great evening! :D