Roald Dahl

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: Roald Dahl

Post by Poppy »

I was Matilda, too. :D The film of Matilda is actually really good. My sister absolutely adores it and she watches it all the time!

Has anyone tried the Jane Austen heroine one? - http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2013 ... sten-quiz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was Marianne Dashwood. :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I just did it and got:
You are Catherine Morland (from Northanger Abbey)

You’re young and imaginative – but make sure you have a handle on your imagination, or it might cause you all manner of difficulties.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Interesting, Poppy. :D I've just done the Jane Austen quiz with the following results:

I came out as the female character Anne Elliot (from Persuasion) and the male character I came out as was Edmund Bertram (from Mansfield Park).
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Farwa
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island/Adventure Series/Famous Five
Favourite character: Anne Kirrin/Peggy

Post by Farwa »

I took both quizzes, and they were both very interesting and fun to take.

In the Roald Dahl Quiz, I was the BFG, and in the Jane Austen one, the result was Marianne Dashwood.
A day spent without a smile is a day lost.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I've done the Jane Austen heroine quiz a few times and come out as either Elizabeth Bennet or Anne Elliot — who are my favourites (especially Lizzy). But in most cases, none of the possible answers would really fit me anyway! :lol:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anyone seen the trailer for Disney's 'The BFG'? Looks quite magical!

8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ0Bey4 ... e=youtu.be

8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Oh WOW!! :D Mind you, I wonder how closely it sticks to the book — will they have the main plot involving a visit to the Queen, or will they jazz it up with something more "exciting" for modern (and non-British) audiences? :roll: Still, it does look quite amazing — thanks for sharing that, Rob. I hadn't known about it until now.

I would hope it's better than the animated version, which I quite enjoyed until it got to the end — instead of the BFG staying in London in his own special house, he goes back to Giant Country and takes Sophie with him. I'm sorry to say I thought that was a daft way to end it — what is there for her in such a desolate place? It would be very, very interesting to see where this new version takes the story and how it ends up. I think I'll have to go and see it!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I know the queen is in it, because she's being played by Penelope Wilton from Downton Abbey. :-)

I must admit it's one of the few Roald Dahl books I actually like! I'm not a big fan of his work, but BFG and Danny the Champion of the World and George's Marvellous Medicine are probably my favourites. Trouble is, they always seem to mess with book adaptations - and as BFG isn't a very long book, I'm sure they will have padded it out unnecessarily! Still, it looks well done judging from the trailer. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I picked up a poster for this at our local cinema a few weeks ago, directed by Spielberg it should be a cracker. I also want to see The Jungle Book which is released next week as it has great reviews.
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

I really like Danny the Champion of the World
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Roald Dahl is a fabulous writer! I love his books!! :mrgreen:
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Maria Elena
Favourite book/series: The five find outers
Favourite character: Kiki

Post by Maria Elena »

I also love Road Dahl, especially his book "Matilda". I would love to buy the English book, as I have only read an Italian translation.
The point is not that I don't recognise bad people when I see them — I grant you I may quite well be taken in by them — the point is that I know a good person when I see one.
Enid Blyton, The Rubadub Mystery (Barney Mysteries, #4)
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

The more I watch that trailer for The BFG, the more I like it — I really will have to see if the film lives up to it. 8) I might even be willing to forgive them for adding other bits to the story, IF they do it well.

Machupicchu, Matilda is probably my favourite too. I've seen the musical version on stage in London, which was fantastic as well. :D They did add a few extra elements to the story for the stage version, but I really do think they made the plot stronger rather than detracting from it, which is not something I would often say! All the most important parts of the original story were there (including Bruce Bogtrotter and the giant cake :mrgreen: ), but they also gave a bit more "back story" to Miss Honey — that is, Matilda's favourite teacher (I don't know what she's called in the Italian version that you read) — which brought her and Matilda closer together. I won't give anything away in case you get to see the play one day as well! :wink: I would highly recommend it.
Society Member

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Now this could be a phizzwizzer... Dahl's squishous words get their own dictionary 8)
Society Member

Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

A Documentary (which I will definitely be recording), on BBC2, tonight, starting at 8.00pm - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07m8n2q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can remember, enjoying reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Lucy Dahl, talks about her father - http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-07- ... roald-dahl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member