R.L. Stevenson

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

R.L. Stevenson

Post by Philip Mannering »

Has anybody here read Treasure Island, the renowned classic of R.L. Stevenson? I read it recently and have generally mixed opinions. While it was a bit hard to read at places, I found the plot and the characters superb. The characters especially (who can forget Long John Silver?). The hero, Jim Hawkins, is one tough person, although incredibly foolish at times. At places the book is quite boring as the descriptions are too much detailed, and very lengthy, but, once the action starts it (the boring feeling) goes.

Any Treasure Island fans here? I know this book has received quite a lot of criticism for the descriptions, but to me that is cancelled out by the excellent plot. I could give it criticism too, but generally, I like this book.

One more thing: this book is widely regarded as a 'classic'. That's why I was a bit reluctant at first (since 'classic' books often use boring and archaic language.) I feel this is the reason why the language isn't the best, but still.......

Overall, while this book has many flaws, I like it.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: R.L. Stevenson

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I agree that Treasure Island is a cracking read, Philip, and deliciously chilling. It's well worth persevering with the old-fashioned language. Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe is another classic "adventure" book (though it's a lot more than just an adventure story) that I love, and which I've read several times.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
bilgewaters
Favourite book/series: Secret Room/Hidden House.
Favourite character: got to be Bets

Post by bilgewaters »

I've read Treasure Island countless times and it still excites me,the plot is brill and the characters are solid.I agree about the language but you have to remember that it was written in the middle to late 1800's .It's what I call "A proper good read" it's got everything.Stevensons work still stands up today, as a diarist he's second to none,his poetry is really well done too."The childrens garden of verse" is well worth a read.What can I say about "Kidnapped" utterly brilliant.It's abit dated now but the story is so exciting,it's abit tough going at the start but it's worth it .His short stories are really good too.
When I'm grown up I won't forget the things I think today.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Funnily enough, I was sorting through some books last night when I came across the following short article in an old Brownie Annual dating from the early 1960s:

The Girl Who Had a Birthday Given to Her

The birthday of an American girl named Annie Ide was Christmas Day, so she did not have a special day all to herself for her birthday.

Robert Louis Stevenson, who wrote Treasure Island, heard of this and was sorry about it. He decided to give Annie his own birthday, which was November 13th. He made out a special Deed of Gift. This stated in solemn legal language: "I do hereby transfer to the said Annie H. Ide all and whole my rights and privileges in the thirteenth day of November, to have, hold, exercise and enjoy the same in the customary manner, by the sporting of fine raiment, eating of rich meats, and receipt of gifts, compliments, and copies of verse, according to the manner of our ancestors."

Ever after this, Annie kept November 13th as her birthday, and she always treasured the famous Deed of Gift.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Sounds very nice of Robert L Stevenson. 8)

I haven't read Treasure Island yet, but from what I've heard it sounds a really good book. Must pay a visit to the book shop.

Society Member
Philip Mannering

bilgewaters wrote: "The childrens garden of verse" is well worth a read.What can I say about "Kidnapped" utterly brilliant.It's abit dated now but the story is so exciting,it's abit tough going at the start but it's worth it .His short stories are really good too.
This year in our English Textbook we have one of the poems from "A Child's Garden of Verses" - "From a Railway Carriage". I loved it. Great rhythm - great pace - rhymes all around. Great poem. now I'm searching for the entire poetry book.

I haven't read Kidnapped yet, but I will read it later on. By its look it does seem a good book.

I also haven't read any of Stevenson's short stories, although will read them if possible later on.

And Ming, you've got a treat - a first read of Treasure Island is hooking! A fantastic plot, amazing characters and a good setting is enough to make this masterpiece of Stevenson's one of the top ones. It's a 'must read' for everyone. Yes, the language does seem a bit old-fashioned, but the action cancels the boredom out.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Thanks for that, Philip. This poem was my sisters "party piece" and I'll always associate it with her.

There is a good reading of it - with sound effects - at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jCoigg77Y4" target="_blank

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
bilgewaters
Favourite book/series: Secret Room/Hidden House.
Favourite character: got to be Bets

Post by bilgewaters »

Kidnapped is a great story, R.L.S. was a Scot so his knowledge of Scottish history was great.Kidnapped is set during a very violent period in Scotlands history.the clans were at war with each other and England.Stevensons use of words and his descriptive passages really bring the story to life.It's a bit slow at the start but the pace soon quickens up.well worth a read.On another note Stevensons family were lighthouse builders.Some of the lighthouses are still standing today.There's a really good site about them on the net.
When I'm grown up I won't forget the things I think today.
Philip Mannering

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:Thanks for that, Philip. This poem was my sisters "party piece" and I'll always associate it with her.

There is a good reading of it - with sound effects - at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jCoigg77Y4" target="_blank

Viv
Thanks for the link, Viv. I agree: it was a good reading.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, great link, 515. I haven't heard that poem for donkey's years; spitty the video wasn't better though.

Society Member
RainbowJude
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Adventure Series, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Darryl, Dick, Barney, Jack, George, Noddy, Pip

Post by RainbowJude »

Philip Mannering wrote:Has anybody here read Treasure Island, the renowned classic of R.L. Stevenson? I read it recently and have generally mixed opinions. While it was a bit hard to read at places, I found the plot and the characters superb. The characters especially (who can forget Long John Silver?). The hero, Jim Hawkins, is one tough person, although incredibly foolish at times.
I haven't read Treasure Island since I was a child, but it is one of the stories that has stuck with me my whole life. The characters must be superbly written to have stayed with me for so long and one of the things I seem to remember how the relationships tend towards being psychologically complex, particularly the one between Jim and Long John Silver. I had a great illustrated edition with a picture of their final encounter (which I won't describe for the benefit of those who haven't read the book) that really summed up the essence of their relationship. I wonder if it's still in the bookshelf back at Mom and Dad's.
Philip Mannering wrote:At places the book is quite boring as the descriptions are too much detailed, and very lengthy, but, once the action starts it (the boring feeling) goes.
bilgewaters wrote: What can I say about "Kidnapped" utterly brilliant. It's a bit dated now but the story is so exciting, it's a bit tough going at the start but it's worth it.
I don't remember feeling bored when I read Treasure Island; then again, it was a long time ago. I must admit, however, that if I didn't find books engaging pretty much immediately when I was young, that I often put them down and switched up. I think that's the most likely reason I never got into Kidnapped, which I still have never read. I might add it to my reading list - but it'll have to go after a new reading of Treasure Island, which is, as it is, will have to be placed a few titles down the list.

One of the things that often astounds me is the sheer number of film and television adaptations that been derived from Treasure Island - everything from silent film to the Disney classic to anime and science fiction. One particular version that I wish had been more successful is the recent Disney spin on the piece, Treasure Planet. The failure for me in that case was that Ron Clements and John Musker seemed to be too involved with the adaptation conceptually and visually, and let some of the storytelling slip by. I also remain unconvinced by the choice to use grungy pop-rock songs within the scope of the film - although I understand what the filmmakers were trying to achieve through this. It's an adaptation that I feel could have been brilliant, but which ends up being completely average.
Philip Mannering wrote:This year in our English Textbook we have one of the poems from "A Child's Garden of Verses" - "From a Railway Carriage". I loved it. Great rhythm - great pace - rhymes all around. Great poem. Now I'm searching for the entire poetry book.
I loved these poems as a child, none more so than "From a Railway Carriage". I think that this was because I had a fantastic reading of that poem on cassette. The imagery in the poem is fantastic and the rhythm really helps you feel the speed of the train as everything is seen for 'a glimpse and gone forever'. Wonderful!

Later days
David
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

I can remember reading Treasure Island, a long time ago, my favourite screen version of the Book, is definitely the 1950 Disney version, starring Robert Newton and Bobby Driscoll (two Actors, who both came to an unfortunate end), I recently enjoyed watching the 1980's TV series John Silver's Return to Treasure Island - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Return-Treasur ... ure+island" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Brian Blessed and Christopher Guard, were very good in the roles of Long John Silver and Jim Hawkins.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I've only ever read the much shortened Ladybird Classics version.

When I first saw this thread tonight I thought "ooh, Goosebumps." That's R.L Stine... oops.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

The 1977 BBC TV version of Treasure Island (featuring Alfred Burke as Long John Silver), is due to be released on DVD, on November 21st - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... CPA2144NT4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

With Treasure Island, my favourite Robert Louis Stevenson is "Kidnapped". I love adventure books and I thought this one was just excellent. Another reason why I want to go to the UK.

God!! I am getting confused!!!!! :shock: :?
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member