Elinor M. Brent-Dyer - Chalet School, etc.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Alicia
Favourite book/series: malory towers
Favourite character: why,alicia of course!

Elinor M. Brent-Dyer - Chalet School, etc.

Post by Alicia »

has anyone read these they are wonderful
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: chalet school

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'm sorry but I haven't read any of these books Alicia, for me if it wasn't Blyton, I didn't read it.
8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

I like reading the Chalet School, but I'd have hated to go there - all that sport! Who are your favourite characters - I like Grizel best, though she's a bit "difficult" at times!
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I've read the whole series more than once and love them too! I used to think I would have loved to be a pupil there - like I also wanted to belong to St. Clares and Malory Towers while I was reading them, but I'm not so sure now. Do you belong to one of the Chalet Societies Alicia? I subscribe to the New Chalet Club and have been to some of their AGMs.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Susie

Post by Susie »

I read the newish ones and I found them a bit slow. My mum said I should of started with the older ones before the war, as they were much better. I keep looking out for the new ones, but have not come across them at all.
I guess there is always eBay, I think I'll make an effort and do that. :D
There is always something else new to learn.
Alicia
Favourite book/series: malory towers
Favourite character: why,alicia of course!

Post by Alicia »

Susie wrote:I read the newish ones and I found them a bit slow. My mum said I should of started with the older ones before the war, as they were much better. I keep looking out for the new ones, but have not come across them at all.
I guess there is always eBay, I think I'll make an effort and do that. :D
the older ones are better
dsr

Post by dsr »

I'd go up to "The Chalet School and Barbara" as the cut-off between "classic" and "non-classic". Though I think, perhaps surprisingly, that I grew out of Chalet School books, even though I didn't grow out of Enid Blyton.

Warning - a lot of the Armada versions are abridged.
DSR
Dinah P

Post by Dinah P »

I know the last message was posted a long time ago, and I don't really know how the forums work as yet as I have only just joined!!! I'm going through the different topics and just had to post something here. Next to EB, Elinor M Brent-Dyer is my favourite author. I love the Chalet series and subscribe to 'Friends of the Chalet School,' which is great and has an absolutely brilliant journal. The early books set in Tirol are definitely the best - I have most of the books in the series (around 60) more than half in hardback with dws.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I have just finished the first book of the Chalet school series, I looked to see when it was written, and got a big shock it was written in 1925, it was really like reading a modern book of today.
I loved all the tricks the students played on each other, as well as all the slang, that really was the best! :lol:
Susie

Post by Susie »

Daisy wrote:. I subscribe to the New Chalet Club.
Is that the same as the FOCS. (Friends of Chalet School)

I have gone further and read tons and I take back what I said they are not slow at all. There is always something going on. I think what put me off when I was young was starting at the wrong time-line, when Joey Bettany already had the triplets, and from there I must have got more and more confused. This year I went to a friends house and saw book one, I decided to start again since everyone was raving about the books, it was a good thing too as now I am hooked. :D
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

No, the New Chalet Club was founded about 10 years ago after the centenary celebrations in Hereford for reasons which are now past history and both clubs prosper with many fans belonging to both and friendly relations are maintained. In true Chalet fashion past differences have been forgotten - I'm sure Miss Annersley would be pleased!

Society Member
Billie

Post by Billie »

I think they're pretty good up to about Ruey Richardson: Chaletian,when it starts getting too silly. Mary Lou is too good to be true, though, I think. They are best up to about Highland Twins though.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Daisy wrote:No, the New Chalet Club was founded about 10 years ago
I saw on both web sites that both are offering 4 journals a year are these both the same? Oh I don't know which I should go for. :)

Billie Mary Lou seemed to good to be true.
Yes in Theodora at the Chalet school. The way she told off Len Con and Margot, was like a headmistress would. I always thought that is was a waste for her to study to be an archaeologist.
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

The journals are different Susie, with completely separate committees etc. You will be welcome which ever one you choose. There are quite a few people who belong to both.

Society Member
dadamson
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney Mysteries and Five Find- Outers
Favourite character: Dinah and Diana

Post by dadamson »

I love the Chalet School!!!! The ones in the Tyrol are definately the best although I am only on Jo to the rescue. Does anyone know what Len and Con are short for? I kinda skipped the chalet school in war, because i'm not a great reciever of war stories!