Charles Dickens

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Charles Dickens

Post by Eddie Muir »

Chick and I found the Old Curiosity Shop in Holborn when we were in London in 1984, Anita. It prompted me to read The Old Curiosity Shop, which was one if the few Charles Dickens novels that I hadn't previously read.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I've often walked past that shop but never quite plucked up the nerve to ring the bell and go in. Maybe I'll try it next time. There is definitely some dispute about which came first, the novel or the shop's name but it's certainly fun to walk by and imagine Dickens standing there thinking..."Hmmm this gives me an idea". :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I must admit I'm a complete pleb when it comes to Charles Dickens — I've only ever got through A Christmas Carol (which I love!) — but if anyone's ever in the Rochester / Chatham area, not far from where I live in northern Kent, that's where Dickens lived for a time and you can see plenty of places connected with him. I was particularly intrigued by the Six Poor Travellers' House in Rochester, which in the old days would provide one night's safe accommodation and food, free of charge, for up to six travellers who couldn't afford any place to stay. Dickens visited it once and wrote a short story about it, "The Seven Poor Travellers" — himself being the seventh. I'd happily explore other local places on the "Dickens trail", if only I were more familiar with his books, but I just don't have the time for them... :oops:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

There are so many l-o-n-g stretches of boredom in NN. I am ploughing through the Nickleby-in-the-theatre section now. It feels as if I have been reading this book for months, but I am still only 40% of the way through. I will stick with it though as I don't like to give up on a book!
Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

Wow, I love the Nickleby-in-the-theatre section!