Noel Streatfeild

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Moonraker

Re: Noel Streatfeild

Post by Moonraker »

And as Fiona says, it provides a timely reminder to trim excessive quoting. There is nothing more tiresome than to scroll down loads of quoted material just to read, "I agree" ! :|
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I've just opened my post to find a lovely copy of Apple Bough that I ordered from abebooks the other day. It's a hardback with dustjacket, published by Collins. The only date inside is of 1962 - the year it was first published, but the fact I paid 63p plus £1.88 postage makes me think this is a later copy. Anyone any ideas?

Edit: on looking at more copies on abebooks, most if not all sellers are listing a blue-boarded Collins' copy as the first edition so maybe I did pick up a bargain?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It sounds like a bargain to me, Fiona! I wouldn't know whether it's a first edition or not - my copy is an early 1980s Puffin paperback - but it's a wonderful story about the importance of having a real home; a place you can call your own where you can relax and arrange your things and be yourself. My paperback has illustrations by Margery Gill which I like as I think she captures the characters well.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Mine is also illustrated by Margery Gill. There was a big choice of Streatfeild books on abebooks but I chose Apple Bough partly because I remember you saying it was one of your favourites as well as the price!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Hope you enjoy it, Fiona! Let us know your thoughts once you've read it - whether you like it or not!

Society Member
Lawrie
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Find-Outers, Malory Towers
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy, Alicia, Fatty and Bets

Post by Lawrie »

I recently bought a copy of Apple Bough too, because of what you had said Anita. I'd read it before, but years ago and out of the library. I'm pretty sure mine is a first edition - 1962, Collins, Margery Gill illustrations and dustwrapper - and I thought I had a bargain as it was £7, but you've beaten me there Fiona! I find a lot of Streatfeild's later books desperately formulaic, and certainly many of the stock characters and situations are here, but nicely blended I thought. Myra is yet another "untalented" heroine, but I loved her and found her convincing, and Sebastian too - a very likeable musical genuis, sensitive without being wet. Wolfgang and Ethel didn't irritate me either, in the way that many of those type of Streatfeild characters do by this stage in her career - eg Robin and Nigs in the Gemma books - and it's always good to see Madame Fidolia again, once more diagnosing true "dancer's feet." I liked all the grandparents who were nicely differentiated, though I have to admit the Mumsmum and Mumsdad names did grate,and I could see many elements of Noel's own family here. I also enjoyed the happy ending centring round finding a settled home (a sort of opposite of her bleak adult novel Saplings), rather than predictions of a glowing career. I wonder how the book would read if you didn't know any of her others? For me, Ballet Shoes, Tennis Shoes, A Vicarage Family and The Circus is Coming will always be my favourite Streatfeilds, but Apple Bough is not far below them - thank you Anita, for reminding me about it.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I'm delighted you enjoyed the re-read, Lawrie. I really warm to Myra and Sebastian and as a child I used to chant the children's names under my breath, liking the sound of the four names together - Myra, Sebastian, Wolfgang and Ethel. Ethel on its own doesn't appeal to me at all, but I like the others and the four names together struck me as wonderfully exotic. I love the little family details, for example the way Streatfeild describes the Devon holidays and the endearing features of Apple Bough.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Seeing Streatfeild mentioned in another thread, I thought a re-visit to this thread might be of interest.
Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

I bought a new Noel Streatfeild today. Happened to have a bit of time between finishing work and being picked up so naturally I ended up in Oxfam Books, looking at their "Veritable gems" which is often code for "overpriced Deans" but sometimes there's something good. There were some Chalet School paperbacks, one or two Elsie J Oxenhams in grubby Collins editions without d/js (about a fiver each) and a copy of TMO Tally-Ho cottage (5th impression sans d/j for £13) lus various grown up books that I didn't look at. But - there was also The Children of Primrose Lane - with a nice Collins d/j that matches some others I have and it was only £2.49. So I bought it. Looks like this: Image

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

A nice-looking book, Fiona. The style of illustration reminds me of Gilbert Dunlop.

My own copy has this cover, which I don't think is as attractive:

The story gets off to a good start and has some promising elements but I remember finding the ending a bit disappointing. It's a while since I read it though and I'd certainly like to read it again at some point.

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

I would say I'll read it and let you know what I thought... but I see above that I bought Apple Bough in November last year and haven't so much as opened it. :oops:

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

So many books, so little time!

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Oh, so true, Anita. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Especially the "so many books" part. I've just filled my fourth bookcase up. And part of a fifth. Then I remembered I have books in my parents' loft still. As I type that I'm looking up to see the six books I've got on loan from the library. We need more hours in a day, or maybe more days in a week.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

And more bookshelves in a house! :lol:

Society Member