Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling

Post by Fiona1986 »

Hermione is the most talent witch of her age. I'm sure if anyone could lift the memory spell it would be her.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
snugglepot
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Faraway Tree, Barney Books
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by snugglepot »

Katharine wrote:I think the relationship between Harry and Ginny is much better explained in the books than the film.

One loose end that I would have loved to see tied up is what happened between Hermione and her parents? Presumably once their memories had been modified they couldn't get them back again, but did she ever track them down and befriend them? Or did she have to spend the rest of her life without having anything to do with them. That part of the film almost has me in tears.
I believe Jo Rowling was asked that question about Hermione's parents in an interview, and she replied by saying that straight after the war Hermione had them located and their memories restored.
I can't remember where or when this was said, I just remember reading about it.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I can't quite remember how that whole episode worked. If Hermione only modified her parents' memories (and erased traces of her existence from things like photographs and documents), what happened when other family members and friends and neighbours asked her parents, "How's Hermione?"
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That's a good point, you'd have to erase primary school records, other relation's memories etc.

Why can't I just read a book without questioning all these tiny details? :roll: :wink:
Society Member
rosy_posy

Post by rosy_posy »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I can't quite remember how that whole episode worked. If Hermione only modified her parents' memories (and erased traces of her existence from things like photographs and documents), what happened when other family members and friends and neighbours asked her parents, "How's Hermione?"
Didn't Hermione send them off to Australia? In the book, at least.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Yes, she sent them off to Australia. I suppose all that mattered to her was that nobody from Voldemort's side could torture them for her whereabouts or to force her out of hiding. I imaging she didn't think Voldemort would go after distant relatives or old friends in the same way and she simply didn't have time to erase all evidence that she existed.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Farwa
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island/Adventure Series/Famous Five
Favourite character: Anne Kirrin/Peggy

Post by Farwa »

Considering she was a nice girl, it's obvious that she tracked them and removed the spell. J.K. Rowling must have forgotten to mention it.
A day spent without a smile is a day lost.
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

Just a couple of bits of Potter trivia for all you non-Muggles out there. I was reading a book yesterday called “Trees of Ghostly Dread” (Elliot O'Donnell, first edition 1958) and came across the following:

PADFOOT

“In Yorkshire there is a phantom dog called Padfoot, and, like the striker, its chief haunts are woods and lonely wooded lanes. Mr William Henderson* says an old woman called Sally Dransfield*, the carrier from Leeds to Swillington, told him that she had often seen it in a wooded locality; that it was like a woolpack and sometimes suddenly vanished through a hedge. Apparently Padfoot was not always of the same size and did not always behave in the same way, but changed its tactics.

The Rev. JC Atkinson* of Danby said it was sometimes visible and sometimes invisible, and was wont to pad softly behind people as they walked along a lonely tree-lined lane or through a wooded glen after dark.....it was generally a precursor to death, either to the person who saw it or to one of his relatives......”

BOGGART

“Not far from the village of Blakely there was, and perhaps still is, a secluded dell, the sides of which are fringed with hazel and beech trees, ferns and abundant wild flowers. In the dell, tucked out of sight amid the luxuriant foliage, was a small cave known as the Boggart's Hole. Few people cared to linger in the dell after dusk......nasty habit of springing out on people if they were alone, and scaring them out of their senses”.

*NB: O'Donnell often claims to change people's names to protect their privacy
"The days are long, but the years are short"
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

Just found out that I'm going to the Harry Potter Studio Tour soon! Sooooooooooo excited! It ties in nicely as well because I had already decided that I was going to read Harry Potter (for the 3rd time!) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

That sounds really exciting Abi. I hope you have a great time.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

You lucky thing, I'd love to go there. I've heard it's really good. Hope you have lovely time.
Society Member
7upromana01

Post by 7upromana01 »

Thank you Daisy and Katharine.My friends who went to the junior school of my school went to the Studios for there on a school trip and have been bugging me because I'm probably the biggest Harry Potter fan in the year and still haven't gone to the Studios yet! :| Well now I am!. I'm listening to my favourite bits of music from Harry Potter to get me excited! :D
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Hope you have a lovely time, when you go, Abi! Sounds fantastic. :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
7upromana01

Post by 7upromana01 »

Thank you, Poppy. OMG I'm soo excited. *Abi, breathe, calm, don't get too excited, breathe*
Abi.

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The Harry Potter Studio Tour is wonderful, Abi! There are masses of things to see and it takes hours to get round everything. You'll love it! :D
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member