The Enid Blyton Society

What non-Blyton book have you recently bought?

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.

What non-Blyton book have you recently bought?

Postby Katharine » 05 Jan 2018, 16:21

I thought we had a thread for non-Blyton books that we'd bought recently, but couldn't find it, so have put my latest purchase here instead.

I don't think we've had a thread like that but it would be useful so I've used your post to start one. - Anita

Today I went to Felixstowe with my son, and was going to avoid all the charity shops and the two second hand bookshops as I didn't think it fair to drag him round with me, and also I'm a bit short of cash after Christmas. However I couldn't resist popping into a shop which I often forget is there - it sells a mixture of items, such as vintage badges, records and postcards as well as books - mostly annuals and magazines. They had a 'sale' sign in the window, so I thought I'd take a quick look. Nothing really appealed to me and I was about to leave when I caught sight of a Golly on the spine of a book, half hidden under some magazines.

The book is "My Big Dolls' House" by Mrs. Herbert Strang - I've already got one or two of her books and really like them. Because of the Golly, and the age of the book, I was expecting it to be quite pricey, but it said £4 inside, which I thought reasonable, and I was hoping it might be in the sale. I was really pleased when I went to the counter and was only charged £1 for it - bargain of the year. :lol:
Society Member
Katharine

Re: What non-Blyton book have you recently bought?

Postby Rob Houghton » 05 Jan 2018, 18:34

Katharine wrote:
Because of the Golly, and the age of the book, I was expecting it to be quite pricey, but it said £4 inside, which I thought reasonable, and I was hoping it might be in the sale. I was really pleased when I went to the counter and was only charged £1 for it - bargain of the year. :lol:

Before anyone else says it - "Golly! that was a bargain!" ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty

Postby Katharine » 05 Jan 2018, 19:38

Ha ha. :lol: :lol:
Society Member
Katharine

Postby Rob Houghton » 09 Jan 2018, 02:55

I just bought a copy of Adventures With Marmaduke by Elizabeth Chapman from eBay - just a cheap one with no wrapper for £3.49. I wanted to read it, as the Marmaduke books were some of the first books I remember lending from our local library when I was about 3 or 4. I used to love them, and borrowed quite a few, and have thought of them often since, but could never remember the lorries name until the other day, so had a job searching for any! I'm not sure I used to read them myself - I think my mom read them to me, though I probably read a few as I got older.

Here's a picture of one of the books!

hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Postby Rob Houghton » 09 Jan 2018, 03:09

Also bought 'A Little Silver Trumpet' by LT Meade - 1920's edition (£7.49). Its a book I've long wanted to read, ever since seeing the BBC childrens TV adaptation in the early 1980's. I know the series was quite heavily abridged, as was the book (which I already have) which was rewritten to accompany the series, so it will be interesting to read the 'real thing'! :D

Edition I just bought -

BBC adaptation -

hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Postby Anita Bensoussane » 09 Jan 2018, 08:18

Gosh - now you mention the Marmaduke books I recall borrowing one or two from the library as well, Rob, though I'd forgotten all about them over the years.

I've got the paperback edition of The Little Silver Trumpet which I bought after watching the TV serial as a child. I hope you enjoy the original story.

The last book I picked up (just under a fortnight ago) was a secondhand copy of The Ship Between the Worlds by Julia Golding, which is described as "High adventure on the high seas". Julia Golding is a wonderful writer and I love her Cat Royal series. The Ship Between the Worlds is a paperback but it's signed by Julia Golding in gold pen and it only cost a couple of pounds in an Oxfam Bookshop.

The book I bought before that (and it was cheaper when I acquired it a couple of months ago!) was The Art of Harry Potter:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Harry-Pott ... 1785657399

It's a huge, lavish volume containing concept art, storyboards, maps, graphics, etc. relating to the Harry Potter films. Much of the artwork is stunning.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and Family Books
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack Trent and Elizabeth Allen

Postby Wolfgang » 09 Jan 2018, 17:32

Today "Five escape Brexit island" arrived. It will take some time though, until I read it, there are many other things to do and books to read :-(.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Wolfgang

Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series

Postby Yak » 14 Jan 2018, 01:40

I got a kindle for Christmas so I've been going nuts. Am reading Karen Maitland's 'The Plague Catcher' atm
Yak

Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Return to Other Authors