Five Go on the Great Western Railway

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Five Go on the Great Western Railway

Post by Courtenay »

I've been to the Mount a couple of times, but didn't spot Block snooping around! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

he was no doubt in one of the secret passages underneath! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

... or hiding behind some curtains, careful to hide his shoes this time...
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Good thing the Five are presumably heading in that direction on the train, then! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Just going back a few posts, the route is Paddington London, ending at Penzance. As Nigel says, not anyway near the Swanage, Corfe etc as that is another line entirely.

But a good advert when all said and done.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

For some peculiar reason the Five on GWR heralds the weather on "Wales at Six" on ITV - guessing they sponsor it? :?
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

An excellent advert, thanks for posting it Nigel. As others have said it's good to see the FF used properly and sympathetically rather than depicted as a bunch of stick figures or whatever. The line looks to me to be the London - Penzance route as I have been on it before and thought I recognised places but I am certainly no expert. I do remember loving the Dawlish part of the line as it runs along the seashore. And that is certainly St Michaels Mount at the end, a place I loved and must revisit soon.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Sorry if I confused some of you. I wasn't specifically referring to the Five going to Dorset on the advert, but was speaking generally that three of them used to get the train to Kirrin from a London station. That wouldn't have been Paddington, if Kirrin was based in Dorset as some people think. It would have been more pertinent to me had the SWR made this advert.

Courtenay, I was referring to the Southern Railway - formed after the 1922 Grouping. The LSWR ran trains before this date from Waterloo to the West Country. The Southern Railway franchise of today is a completely different concern, running trains from Victoria to Brighton and the south coast. Ironic too as the new franchisee for former LSWR lines is called The South Western Railway. All trains from London to Devon and beyond are now, for the first time ever, owned by one company - the First Group. They own GWR and SWR. So much for competition.
Courtenay wrote:I was simply thinking in the context of Purbeck being more or less the "official" Famous Five Country, and yet it's not GWR territory. Anyway, if Southern still ran trains to Swanage et al, the ads might have to be Five Have Their Holiday Cancelled Due to Another Rail Strike.
Yes, that was my point - well done for understanding me! However, you can catch a train from Waterloo to Wareham (the Weymouth line), and although the trial season has just ended, you could have changed at Wareham and hopped on the Swanage train.

Floragord, GWR have been the sponsor of ITV West/Wales for some time now. I imagine they are using the Five to reinforce their current advertising campaign. I will watch your local weather tonight out of interest!
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thank you very much for the links and this thread Nigel. I've really enjoyed reading through it along with everyone's well informed comments.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

If you have Sky and aren't in the ITV Westcountry/Wales areas, you can add this local channel to your 'other channels'.

Press services on your sky remote
Go to Options >Add channels

Then put in the following details:

Freq: 10994
Polarity: H
Symbol: 22
FEC: 5/6

Save

To watch: Options>other channels> ITV (area not shown, but that will be the saved channel)
Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Before my dad started driving in the 70s, I vaguely remember once or perhaps twice going on the train for our yearly holiday in Cornwall. And I do remember around the Devon area there being successive tunnels.

We actually stayed in Dawlish in 1984 when I was 11, and I do remember being fascinated by the trains running alongside the beach. It was great fun to be on the footbridge as the trains passed underneath, although at the same time could be quite alarming as you got hot diesel fumes in your face!

Anyone who happens to be passing by the Swindon area and is interested in the history of the GWR should really visit this place. I've got a yearly pass and have been on numerous occasions (including today!) The final part of the exhibition is all about holidays to the West Country on the line, and it includes a waxwork tableau of a typical 1950s family sitting in a train compartment as they make their journey to the sea. Just like something out of a Blyton story!
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Just noticed there's another video by GWR that I didn't watch before — I'm not sure if anyone posted the link (sorry if someone did and I missed it). This one is another "making of", but specifically an interview with the animators about how they created the advert, beginning with hand-drawn artwork and then digitising it. Worth noting that one of the team talks of working from the Eileen Soper imagery! :D
Society Member

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Great stuff, Courtenay! It's fascinating to have an overview of how the animation was done.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Its a shame we never see the advert on TV...at least, I haven't. :-( I think it must only be being shown regionally.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I’ve seen it three times here in Brighton. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member