Famous Five's & Others' Drinking Water

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Re: Famous Five's & Others' Drinking Water

Post by IceMaiden »

pete9012S wrote:8.Five Get Into Trouble:

Although lots of camping and outdoor swimming and washing is mentioned there is no reference to drinking water.
I was surprised to realise that even Owls Dene was described thus:
'Funny thing,' said Julian. 'I haven't seen a telephone here. Don't they have one?'
'No,' said Aggie. 'No phone, no gas, no electricity, no water laid on, no nothing. Only just secrets and signs and comings and goings and threats and . . .'
She broke off as Hunchy came back, and went to the big fire-place, where a kettle was slung over the burning logs.
The man flung himself into a chair and began to fill a pipe. The woman took a kettle off the fire and went to fill hot-water bottles in a corner..
No mention of how they got the water! The book was written in 1949. Would it be usual for such a big grand house to have no running water?

Betty Maxey's superb 1968 depiction of the large cooking range at Owls Dene - but no running water.
:shock: Is it just me, or does that picture look like George is trying to impress Julian by showing she can twist her head right around like a praying mantis? Her head appears to be facing the same way as her behind!! :lol:
Last edited by IceMaiden on 18 Sep 2017, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

IceMaiden wrote: :shock: Is it just me, or does that picture look like George is trying to impress Julian by showing she can twist her head right around like a praying mantis? Her head appears to be facing the same way as her behind!! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe it can spin right around like in The Exorcist... :shock:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Isn't it a picture of Richard rubbing soot into his hair? He made a pretty good job of it, by the looks of it!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member